Author Topic: Heaters  (Read 1430 times)

Offline Karas3434

• IceShanty Rookie
Heaters
« on: Nov 26, 2011, 11:10 PM »
Just curious to know what kind of heaters you guys use in your shelter. Used a Mr. Buddy heater last year and liked it. But i have buddies that swear by the sunflower style heaters saying they actually blow out heat and warms everything up alot faster. My only concern is with that is open flame and possibly burning/melting something. I think about it now and the Mr. Buddy did take a while to heat up but was quiet and i felt comfortable leaving it on and leaving the shelter for a while. I dont know if i feel the same about a sunflower style one...

Offline bb400guy

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Heaters
« Reply #1 on: Nov 26, 2011, 11:21 PM »
Just get the Big Buddy heater, it has a fan that throws heat around a bit.  I have one with a 10 lbs tank and quick connect hose.  Love it, works great. I've knocked mine over, it shuts itself off.  No chance of catching anything on fire.  Safe as ur gonna get.  If ur worried about length of time it takes to heat up on really cold days, just set ur shelter up, turn on the heater, and go drill a few holes for tip ups, by the time ur done it will be nice and toasty! :)  I've seen the sunflower heaters, call me a wuss, but I prefer to keep the tank outside of my pop up just in case of leaks...   ka boom! :o 
How long is a piece of string?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Nov 26, 2011, 11:22 PM »
Either a little buddy or a mr. heater propane heater/cooker.. usually the little buddy.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline da man cave shack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Drillin for a thrillin.
« Reply #3 on: Nov 26, 2011, 11:30 PM »
Buddys are much safer.

Offline jiggertoo

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Team montana ice shanty
« Reply #4 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:14 AM »
[font=ar ;Dial black][/font]
No doubt about it, The Buddies are the way to go....
cecil

Offline dawnordusk1

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • face the wind.. hurts to lay the same egg twice
« Reply #5 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:02 AM »
Little buddy heater for me. I'm in lower Michigan so with temps rarely below zero, my little buddy heater will blow us right out of my two man clam even on our coldest days.
Just my 2 cents.. keep it or spend it up to you

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Nov 27, 2011, 05:43 AM »
I use the regular Buddy Heater myself.  I keeps me plenty warm but I like it for the safety factor.   If it tips it goes out and its suppose to shut down if the CO2 level gets to high.

Offline Minnowhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 27, 2011, 06:06 AM »
+1 for the Buddy Heater.  I've modified mine with a small paint roller screen mounted on top.  Just so I can warm up my coffee and sandwiches from time to time.  A friend ended up getting a DynaGlo, which is the same as the Buddy.  I think it was a lot less money.
Confucious say: "Wise man waits till Winter to walk on water!"

Offline Lobes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Just Fishin'
« Reply #8 on: Nov 27, 2011, 07:32 AM »
I have four different heaters from 1,500 btu up to 15,000 btu. I use the small Coleman heater when I only need a hand warmer to keep hands dry between fish and then through the season work on up to the Buddy heater when the hard cold/windy days settle in.

:tipup:
NBG

Mecosta County / Lakeview, Michigan

Offline Dirty P

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Nov 27, 2011, 11:02 AM »
i use a mr.heater/cooker in wyoming where its negitive degree weather and the wind blow like crazy. it does worry me about safety sometimes but havent had a problem yet. plus i can cook some beans or warm some coffee. can't beat that.
Remember what grandpa would always say. " Where's the beer? and you call yourself a fisherman!"

Offline JerryofWNY

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Get involved with your local club!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 27, 2011, 11:53 AM »
i use a mr.heater/cooker in wyoming where its negitive degree weather and the wind blow like crazy. it does worry me about safety sometimes but havent had a problem yet. plus i can cook some beans or warm some coffee. can't beat that.

x2

I freeze leftovers in vacuum sealed bags and reheat them over the cooker. Have had some really great meals on the ice with actually no cooking - just reheating. I usually fish alone in my Guide so there is enough room to get the heater far enough away from me and my gear that I don't worry about accidents. Like anything else you just have to exercise care.
"Earth................. ...................... ... it's a dangerous place to live."      
        Chainsaw

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #11 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:17 PM »
i have abig buddy in my 6x12 shack that is inuslted well. It heats that up in no time. less than 5 mins and its warm! I used to use the sunflower type in my frabil ranger 2 man and it got warm in there pretty fast too. I wouldnt ever buy a sunflower type again unless for cooking. The new ceramic heater are great. They are quiet, safe, efficient, ect.......Go with a big buddy and you wont ever look back! :)
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline vexvision

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Crazy
« Reply #12 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:20 PM »
 ;D ;D ;D My buuuudddddddy aaannndddd meeeeeeeee  ;D ;D ;D
I have laid aside business, and gon' a fishin!

Offline monklej

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:33 PM »
Regular Buddy.  Best I've tried.  Gonna modify this year so I can heat up coffee & snacks on it.

Offline idahonative

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:37 PM »
Just got a Coleman SportCat to try out this year.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #15 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:42 PM »
I use the sunflower...

Yes, they have an open flame... :woot:
Yes, they get very warm, but don't think they blow heat as there is no fan (it just sounds like it) ;)
And yes, I would recommend it, especially in a larger shack but I do use it in my flip-over... :thumbsup:

Just my .02
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Willhound

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:45 PM »
Coleman Sportcat for me too. Was less $$ than a Buddy and very compact. I wish I had got the one with the igniter, but on the other hand, less parts to fail. Heats a two man hut quickly even at 0F.

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #17 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:48 PM »
I use a sunflower heater at times when it is cold enough to need it. It took a while to learn to keep my rod tip away from it while my eyes were elsewhere. I turned around many times to see my line had burned off and another jig had been donated to the ice gods.  :o
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #18 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:50 PM »
I use a sunflower heater at times when it is cold enough to need it. It took a while to learn to keep my rod tip away from it while my eyes were elsewhere. I turned around many times to see my line had burned off and another jig had been donated to the ice gods.  :o

Funny...I've never done that  :whistle:...................... ... ;D
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #19 on: Nov 27, 2011, 12:54 PM »
I use the regular Buddy Heater myself.  I keeps me plenty warm but I like it for the safety factor.   If it tips it goes out and its suppose to shut down if the CO2 level gets to high.

OldBear, keep yourself safe...they shut down when the OXYGEN level gets too low, not the CO, carbon monoxide (Co2 is carbon dioxide) You can have a high enough concentration of CO long before it shuts down due to low oxygen levels.  Use a battery CO detector, don't depend on low oxy shut off. Keep safe, my friend!!!  :)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #20 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:41 PM »

Ha ha I did that twice last year with my lantern, one down the hole and one fell on the ice. 1 and 2lb doesnt stand a chance, its gone before you even realize what happened.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #21 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:46 PM »
Ha ha I did that twice last year with my lantern, one down the hole and one fell on the ice. 1 and 2lb doesnt stand a chance, its gone before you even realize what happened.
True. I looked back at my line and all I had was a little curl about 6" from my rod tip more times than I care to admit. All it takes is for someone to say "Look at this.".

Offline teamlund

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)
« Reply #22 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:57 PM »
does anyone know where the thread is about modifying a buddy heater to cook with?????
Northern pike are for guys that cant catch walleye :v)

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Nov 27, 2011, 01:58 PM »
True. I looked back at my line and all I had was a little curl about 6" from my rod tip more times than I care to admit.

Maybe you're forgettin' to tie a lure on there, Dawg. As ya get older... :whistle: :roflmao: :roflmao:

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #24 on: Nov 27, 2011, 02:26 PM »
Maybe you're forgettin' to tie a lure on there, Dawg. As ya get older... :whistle: :roflmao: :roflmao:
I heard you were looking for one to tie on last year, but your pill bottle was empty and you were talking funny.  ;D ;D ;D >:D

Offline gearheart

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Nov 27, 2011, 03:33 PM »
I have a coleman mini sunflower. The glow ball is only 1 1/2 inches 4 X 6 reflector.  I don'r think they are made any longer but garage sales are worth looking .  A coleman lantern throws a lot of heat and the light is a bonus if staying after dark.

Offline dwc67

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Nov 27, 2011, 03:39 PM »
I have a coleman mini sunflower. The glow ball is only 1 1/2 inches 4 X 6 reflector.  I don'r think they are made any longer but garage sales are worth looking .  A coleman lantern throws a lot of heat and the light is a bonus if staying after dark.

that was the best heater i ever had.

my buddy heater is up for sale this year and going back to a sunflower

Offline Karas3434

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:28 PM »
Cabelas has reconditioned Mr. Buddy heaters on sale right now for $49.99!

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #28 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:37 PM »
I picked up a Mr Heater Cooker at a garage sale a few years ago for $2. I may have to take it out of the box this winter and give it a try. Everyone I know that has one seems to like it.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Nov 27, 2011, 04:46 PM »

I've used this little fella to cook on for the last 6 years or so...my soup pan fits perfectly right on top of the burner.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.