The ice fishing WY board is sponsored by:

Author Topic: Let’s get some chatter going! New gear?  (Read 2565 times)

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
Re: Let’s get some chatter going! New gear?
« Reply #30 on: Dec 30, 2023, 07:01 AM »
Figured this would be an alright thread to ask a question about gear. Needing to get a heater for the house, have always ran a sunflower on a propane tank. But now having 2 girls under 3, thinking my ice hut may be more a warming house and play for them, so not sure a sunflower is the safest. Any tips from yall?

I mean I just fully despise Mr heater brand after their junk they’ve put out as of lately and radio silence from customer service. I just bought a “Heat Hog” brand which I like so far…but it’s still early and the guts of the thing seem the same as a Mr heater.

Lots of folks using diesel heaters if that’s the route you want to look at. Kind of too much to deal with and pack out for me.

The sunflower heaters are always a great beckup option as they just downright work. I had used them almost exclusively the last couple years but had the same thought process as you…a pregnant wife and now a baby and I had to do something besides those sunflower heaters.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline fish/hunt4ever

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #31 on: Dec 30, 2023, 10:27 AM »
I run a heating buddy for mine, but the diesel heaters look very interesting, seen one in action the other day. Not sure on cost of running each one but my big buddy heaters get about 3 to 5 days with the BBQ sized propane tank, I think those are 20lbers. Just depends on how often the wife and kids turn it up on high. Running low to medium heat it seems like 5 days is good.

Offline W8NonICE

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Dec 30, 2023, 09:00 PM »
Trent how you liking that heat hog? I think I may try it out. The sunflower is so solid, hard to go against it! But thinking instead of hauling a big tank (since I now have to haul out toys and the kitchen full of snacks for the kid) a smaller unit may be better? Been beautiful here so haven’t needed to bust out house or heater yet! Daughter had a blast today, hoping to get the whole gang out in days to come

Offline huntinfool18

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Dec 31, 2023, 04:21 PM »
I went all out on an ice camping set up. I’ve been wanting to do it for a few years now. I ended up going with a Nordic legend hub Shelter, the thing is huge. Pretty sure it’s the largest one out there. The puzzle piece floor mats, lights, portable power box, and gonna give the diesel heater set up a try.
Gonna give it a test run in the yard this coming week then boysen this next weekend and keyhole the 19-22nd
Figured it could pull double duty during hunting season as well

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #34 on: Dec 31, 2023, 08:01 PM »
Trent how you liking that heat hog? I think I may try it out. The sunflower is so solid, hard to go against it! But thinking instead of hauling a big tank (since I now have to haul out toys and the kitchen full of snacks for the kid) a smaller unit may be better? Been beautiful here so haven’t needed to bust out house or heater yet! Daughter had a blast today, hoping to get the whole gang out in days to come

I mean I like it. It works! But I’ve really had it out ONE time. I’ve been fooled in the past trusting these things too quick. Maybe you saw, but it has a “bottle warmer” built in if you’re using the little bottles. You just have to remember to refill it. It also has a “quick connect” style connection for the big bottles which is great. I think you could buy a model with it without the quick connect. Also has a tilt.

Doesn’t have a fan. Positives and negatives but it worked well that one time ;)
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline 6x6

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Jan 02, 2024, 01:57 PM »
I have both the Buddy heater and a diesel heater.  However, I only use the diesel heater for my camper when it’s cold.  They really are nice, but too much to haul out on the ice for me.  I’ll stick the Buddy for the ice. 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.