Author Topic: Just bought a 3 wheeler!  (Read 5263 times)

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
Just bought a 3 wheeler!
« on: Oct 21, 2017, 06:28 PM »
I just got this 1984 200 yamahauler today, I plan to make it my ice fishing rig!  It ran like crap when I got it today....Rattling down the road...But it did run!!!!  I said to myself 1st things 1st....The exhaust was a butchered mess of holes and patches... I figured a good place to start.  Turns out the muffler was falling apart, leaking everywhere.  I cut it open and there was no saving it....So I built a silencer out of a grease gun and a satellite dish mount..... I know.... redneck at its finest.... But fixing the leak at the head and sealing the pipe really woke up this old bike!!!! That is all that the motor needed to stop backfiring and it runs amazing....I was able to back the carb slide idle screw in and it just idles beautiful now!!!!! The rattling was loose baffles in the exhaust, so no more rattle!  It has a built in tow hitch rated at 660 lbs!!!!! I am pumped!  My girlfriend and I took a long spin on it this evening and had a blast.. Plenty of power to shift trough the gears up hill with both of us on it.  It is a bit loud though......Sounds like a racing trike for now. Somebody removed both front and back racks, so I will have to build some to hold my gear.

Offline tbern

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Just bought a 3 wheeler!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2017, 08:05 PM »
Love your ingenuity with your muffler fix! 3 wheelers are fun, started out on 3 wheeler over 40 years ago and road them for a long time before moving to the quads. Enjoy it!

Offline Idahogator

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Muckeltonian Society
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2017, 10:13 PM »
May the Angels of safety be with you!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TIn_1zs2Kl4

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Oct 22, 2017, 06:55 AM »
Sweet video!  Love it!

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #4 on: Oct 22, 2017, 09:23 AM »

Great video - Really good demonstration of being "Rider Active".  :P

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Oct 22, 2017, 03:43 PM »
Funny as it is.... All the work I did yesterday to make a pipe, was wasted time...... I was talking my project over with a friend and he says I have a big gun silencer just collecting dust here at the house, come get it... I had to weld it in and make a few mounts but BAM! Done... It sounds SO GOOD now!!!! And the torque is really noticeable down low now! Plus I now have a certified spark arrestor for legal riding trails too! FREE BABY!!!! I love my welder.....

Offline DLB

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Oct 23, 2017, 02:32 PM »
Be extremely careful if you ride that thing on trails at speed.  They quit making and selling them for a reason.  My late BIL dodged a big bullet when he let the young girlfriend of his daughter ride one of his machines and she crashed into a tree getting severely injured but her parents didn't feel he was at fault so didn't sue.  If you use it for just ice fishing, some people replace the front tire with a ski and put chains on the rear tires.  I had a Honda 200S that was a bear to start in anything below 32 degrees.  In fact, I tore my rotator cuff trying to start the darn thing one day on Saginaw Bay.  Sold it that summer and went to a quad.....with electric start ;D
You can observe alot by watching.
Yogi Berra

FISHFORPIKE

« Reply #7 on: Oct 23, 2017, 02:55 PM »
Just gotta drive them - not a machine for riding.  I've had them and they are a ton of fun to drive.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Oct 24, 2017, 05:16 AM »
This is my third three wheeler I have owned and love em, sure they are a bit dangerous but it is legit mostly rider error.  I was in the woods on some tight trails the other day, I lost my way on the one trail and found myself just wandering between trees and through golden rod.  I was saying to myself, I love this machine.... It only weighs 317 pounds!  Very trail capable!  I was putting her up on two wheels to fit between trees and bouncing over some big down trees across the trail.  I truly feel I am a better rider on a three wheeler than a quad, a three wheeler forces you to watch every move you make. On a quad I kind of just sit back and ride...

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #9 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:35 AM »

I had a 200 yammy  and it was a great machine , good score

Offline chez

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 24, 2017, 06:58 AM »
I had a Honda Big red.
Thing was an animal.
Climed the column banks here in PA
Like a champ.
Whis i still had her.im on about my 8th.wheeler since then.
Good luck with it my friend.

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Oct 24, 2017, 07:48 PM »
I have a big red 200 also. I put dual snowmobile skis on the front for hauling me and gear out on the ice. Works great and is extremely stable with the dual skis on front. Check out the other thread here on the Ice Fishing Transportation thread titled "Snow dog type machine build" to see a pic of it on the ice as well as some close-ups of the ski assembly.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #12 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:01 PM »

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline HardH20Fishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Oct 24, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Yes!! The first video that hardwater diehard just posted for the "Ski-Wheeler" is the design I copied for mine. It really is very stable versus a single or strap on ski to the single front tire.
You can't buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear....and that's kind of the same thing.

Offline PaWhiskerWacker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Oct 25, 2017, 06:12 AM »
Thanks for the tips!  I have been throwing around the idea of skis out front but I am not sure I need to reinvent the wheel...LOL... I like the third tire for floatation if I ever hit a soft spot.  I will probably weld up a quick set to try out... I was thinking chains on the rear tires, studs on the front tire would be enough?? On another note, I pulled out the rear differential last night to replace the axle bearings and seals, I love how easy these things are to work on.... The shaft drive had me a little spooked, but it turns out to be a very well designed.  Bearings were only $37 on ebay!  I also need to fix the pull start recoil, right now it only has electric start, and install a new seat cover and it will be a great machine.  It runs with absolutely no smoke and has awesome compression, so I believe it to have low hours!  At first I was buying a beater ice machine, now I have kind of fallen in love with it, and plan to make it a super sweet ICE MACHINE now!

Offline Rex in OTZ

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Dec 10, 2017, 11:28 PM »
Id pick up a manual to set tbe ignition and valve clearances.
Then some decent cool wx multi vis oil  possibly rig it with a primer?

In really cold temps, I had a boss drive his Honda 110 into work  for preheating he'd  pull offf the seat and dump about 4 gallons of really hot tap water on the carb and cylinder to get things going.
Out on the Ice keeping a 2qt bottle of hot tea will work to warm your carb and cyl head at temps below -20F.
Another thing, keep your tire pressures low n decent, dont overinflate as it will split the tread down to the cords next to the knobs.
Remember when pulling a load the wheeler will always want to go straight forward even when turning (same w snowmobiles), possibly add a tire chain to your front tire could aid turning on glare ice/hardpacked snow add another chain to one of your rear tires.
Adjust your idle up when its cold out, when it warms up, turn down your idle or you will have a booger shifting gears (leads to wearing out splines on the foot shifter) and idle speed will engage the clutch (idle crawling) and lead's to premature drive axel hub spline's wearing from jambing on the shifter.
You can rtv silicone a KATZ electric heat pad on the bottom the crankcase sump, just pick a 14 to 17 watt pad, more than that You will have crispy oil char onto the sump bottom.
When dealing with snow cover its best to pull the extra weight than carrying it on your rig.
Another thing is considering weight.
Id seen a few atvs with cracked swing arms from riding 3 adults on one and also bad for your chain drive.
Pulling along a otter sled works great for your gear.

Offline WYIfish

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice fishing a sport, or just reason to buy stuff?
« Reply #16 on: Dec 17, 2017, 04:44 PM »
May the Angels of safety be with you!

I had milk come out my nose and fell on the floor laughing so hard.  Thanks idaho!
Thread killer

Offline mazak730

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2017, 11:38 PM »
here is my wheeler setup. The thing will go through some crap and not get stuck. Only thing wish I had some suspension.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.