Author Topic: perch bait and tactics  (Read 12234 times)

red eyes

perch bait and tactics
« on: Dec 23, 2002, 09:17 AM »
whats ur favorite bait and tactic for catching perch?

PerchBusterSD

Re: perch bait and tactics
« Reply #1 on: Dec 24, 2002, 05:01 AM »
My best producer as far as a spoon is an Angel Eye with a dropper and maggots. Jig- rat finkee or Demon

chub_bud

« Reply #2 on: Dec 29, 2002, 06:19 PM »
I found that i have the best luck with somthing small that glows and dont over load the gig with to much bait, one or two spikes works the best.

Flippenstick

« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2003, 02:40 PM »
I like to use glow in the dark beads,putting them right before the leader and using mustad hooks, or any other lazer sharp hook. most of the time i do really well ice fishing for perch,when i take a crappie rig and put the glow bead right before the leadered hooks at the loop. Then just put just a big enough sinker to get it to the bottom and straight line it after pulling rig up of the bottom just so the sinkers barely touches. And i find real action when i  tip the top hook of the rig with the minnow head and the bottom rig with the other half (the tail). If that doesnt work I'll change it up a little to try to activate the perch and i will start tipping the minnows by the tail it seems the minnow is able to work and swim with the hook and your not killing the minnow by hooking it through the head.
and if i dont get a bite in 3 minutes ill change the minnows and keep lively minnows hooked through the top side before the tail.  

Offline flip69

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 03, 2003, 03:03 PM »
I live in muskegon where agood spot around this area to catch some jumbo perch

bill m. white

perch bait and tactics
« Reply #5 on: Jan 05, 2003, 10:39 AM »
i live in michigan near mt clemens.  do any of you know where i can get jack spoons for perch ice fishing?  have any of you used them.  i am also interested in knowing how your ice fishing has been so far this season.

bill white

Offline Sturge1

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #6 on: Jan 05, 2003, 04:17 PM »
Bill try Franks in Linwood MI or run down to Cabelas. Two weeks ago they had some. Picked a couple up and tried them out today at Metro. They worked well but the fish were not on the feed bag as they were Last week. Caught some keepers and a few were Jumbos.
 Sofar I still like the Kens Spoons better but I will try the Jacks a couple more outings to make a better decision.
Sturge

bill m. white

« Reply #7 on: Jan 05, 2003, 04:36 PM »
what are the ken's spoon?  do you have an address for them?  thanks for the advice.  i live in mt clemens when i am home.  right now i am on active duty in wash dc.  i want to go ice fishing in western maryland.  have you heard of deep creek lake?

jig_head

« Reply #8 on: Jan 06, 2003, 01:20 PM »
kens and jacks spoons are in every bait shop in the saginaw bay area . I think they are made here in mich. franks great outdoors in linwood has lots of them. they are barbless with a bead on the hook and work great in shallow water.

Offline waterwolfed

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • whoolNutBalls
« Reply #9 on: Jan 06, 2003, 05:30 PM »
rat finkie tipped with one or sometimes two mousies

mikewynne

« Reply #10 on: Jan 11, 2003, 06:15 PM »
I use a biger eye drop jig on the bottom of the line for wieght and then put one or two very small jigs up the line about 12 inch apart and ive cought two at a time on one line doing this many times . cheers !

Offline Flash_King

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • FLAG UP!
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2003, 03:25 PM »
Mike As it says on the top of the forum "Read local Regulations" many places require single hook only on jigs and non-use of mutiple hook set-ups.We welcome you to the board and enjoy your imput - where about do you fish?
Good Luck - Good Fishing
GOOD LUCK - GOOD FISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2003, 05:33 PM »
I use a marmooska with two maggots. I like to bounce it on bottom amd then raise it up about an inch and wait for bites.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline PeRcHsLaYeR

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • I LOVE PERCH!!!!
« Reply #13 on: Jan 16, 2003, 10:26 AM »
My favorite is a rat finkie green or orange size 10,12,14 and a mousie, or a wiggler.
you can call me PeRcHsLaYeR......

Offline skulldugary

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #14 on: Jan 17, 2003, 04:48 AM »
I like to use a small Swedish Pimple 1'',prism tape one side yellow on the other,a 4" dropper with a #6 or #8 hook,a minnow head,tap on the bottom and raise about 4 to 6"s.jig and let rest,jig and let rest.It works on Erie perch.

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #15 on: Jan 17, 2003, 07:51 AM »
The most productive tactic for perch for me is to use
the smallest blue/silver rapala jig. I catch my first perch on
pink power bait or a piece of pork fat then use the eyes
of the perch after that you cant miss.Also drop jig to the bottom and bring it up until you feel tension on your line this puts you a 2 to 3 inches off the bottom.jig three or four
times and then wait if you dont get a hit reel up on whole turn
and repeat. if you dont get hits after you try this 4 or so time go to your next whole. dont waste time on a whole where you are not catching fish. Also sometimes i use a  :'( up with a small hook and a tiny minnow once i get a flag i will pull the tip up out and then fish the whole with my jig pole.fish
until you stop catching fish.

Offline buck4dave

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing is life the rest is just details
« Reply #16 on: Jan 17, 2003, 08:00 AM »
also for big slab perch you are going to have to move around alot. also my biggest perch usually (on lake champlain) come from deep water.we have a place on georgia shore we call the perch pods and we regulary take big slabbers up to a pound or more in 60 ft of water.

byronsbait.com

« Reply #17 on: Jan 26, 2003, 05:03 AM »
I know this goes against what most people consider traditional ice bait. But every year, my biggest perch always come from tipups(4lb leader) baited with a whole nightcrawller. It's funny, I'll be the only one on the lake geting flags, and people ask what I'm using. I tell them I'm using worms, and they give me that funny look,like I'm lying or something. Also like to tip my jigs with crawller tails. Give it a try, really---------Byron

Mr.Ice_Fishing

« Reply #18 on: Jan 26, 2003, 05:17 PM »
What is your favorite color rat finkee? :'(

Offline red_eyes

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FLAGG!!!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Jan 27, 2003, 11:03 AM »
teardrops tipped with 1 or 2 spikes.
Pain is temporary, trophies last forever

Offline JT