The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Where would you fish?  (Read 959 times)

Offline pokin holes

• IceShanty Rookie
  • "Its gonna be a good day tater!"-Ron White
Where would you fish?
« on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:18 AM »
So we made our first trip to Wi. last year drove up to Cheteck from central Indiana took us 10hrs! It was late ice we weren't expecting great things! Fishing was great catching was slow at best! Now the very first guy we ran into on the lake was a real nice guy talked to him for several minutes trying to get as much info as we could. When he asked where we were from and we told him 10hrs south of there and with a very puzzled look on his face he said you drove 10hrs to fish Cheteck??? Like we were nuts!! How we decided on cheteck was a very complicated process!! We opened up a map of Wi. and threw a dart and that's where it landed! So we checked it out reports said it had good pan fishing we found a lake house to rent which is a must for us we don't want to live in a hotel for 4 or 5 days anyway when we got back to the house that night that's when it hit us we should've asked that guy Well ok if you was taking a trip anywhere you wanted in Wi. where would you go?? So now I'm asking all you guys that now best Where would you go?? We are panfishermen but would like to be somewhere where we would have a chance at catching an eye or two as well and as I mentioned before we want a house/cabin or cottage to rent may consider a lodge depending on what kind of package we could get. Thanks in advance!! Pokin holes

Offline addicted to ice fishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Feeding my addiction one lake at a time
Re: Where would you fish?
« Reply #1 on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:50 AM »
I would suggest Petenwell / Castle Rock flowages.  I have not fished them  myself, but have heard very good things about both.  It would also be a couple hours closer for you. You can catch a variety of fish including Crappies,  eyes, white bass, and catfish. 

As a  side note, I did very well in Chetek last year,  but it was before late ice. 

Good luck!   

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #2 on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:51 AM »
Eagle River area, Hayward area, problem is most resorts are shut down for winter you would probably need to stay in a motel.

Offline eriksat1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • N.W. Wisconsin Goat
« Reply #3 on: Dec 18, 2016, 07:59 AM »
What keeps confusing me when people talk about Chetek is there is a lake Chetac, then a little more south there is lake Chetek. I guess they are both ok fishing.

Offline Thorney

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 18, 2016, 08:27 AM »
I just have to say that I fish on Chetek chain almost every weekend, and last year was by far the most difficult fishing I've ever experienced. Very inconsistent and the usual patterns and places were not producing fish. We found some nice crappies once in a while, but no where near the usual quantities. I'm not surprised to hear visitors that were disappointed last year. Hopefully this year will "pan out" better (pun intended!). Good luck!

Offline 52isntbigenough

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Red Drum aren't Trout
« Reply #5 on: Dec 19, 2016, 08:20 AM »
I'd consider Presque Isle, Land O Lakes, Manitowish Waters or Boulder Junction.

Good fishing in Vilas Co, plenty of motels/hotels/resorts to stay at. Bents Camp in Land O Lakes, is on the Cisco Chain and on the WI/MI boarder. They rent through the winter.

http://www.bents-camp.com/

Offline Sandcountrylivin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2016, 02:17 PM »
I can't help very much with panfish. Lake Winnebago is a destination fishing lake with very large panfish but I have spent the majority of my time chasing walleyes and white bass ( which I believe is a panfish). If I were headed to Wisconsin out of state I would no question head to the bay of Green Bay. The white fishing is prolific, the walleyes can be brutes. As far as pannie's go, I would call some of the local bait shops and I'm sure they would point you in a the right direction.

Offline Bwags007

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 28, 2016, 04:10 PM »
Been watching some YouTube videos and it seems that guys out of Milwaukee get some big Browns. Not 100% on where I should be planning my trip being from buffalo. Does McKinley lock up?? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.