The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: New To the Madison area  (Read 674 times)

Offline NW Iowa Fisher

• IceShanty Rookie
New To the Madison area
« on: Oct 11, 2010, 12:13 AM »
Hi everyone I am new to the area this year. My name is Evan and I am 19  I am attending college at MATC and REALLY love ice fishing but have no idea where to go what to use or anything.  I know there are alot of seasoned members on here so im just looking for a little help.  Either a little advice or even a fishing buddy for the winter to show me around and give me some company.   Any help is greatly appreciated fellas!  Counting down the days till the start of my favorite part of the year...Ice Fishing!!! ;D

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New To the Madison area
« Reply #1 on: Oct 11, 2010, 06:55 AM »
Welcome!! Unfortunately, I'm now very close to the Madison area... otherwise I'd take you out fishing. I'm up by LaCrosse and don't know the Madison area at all as far as lakes go.........

Offline Bennettc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Oct 14, 2010, 08:00 AM »
Easiest place to find bluegills for early ice is Monona Bay.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #3 on: Oct 18, 2010, 04:55 PM »
How far do you want to travel? 

From what I understand, the Madison chain takes a while to turnover and freeze, being in the more southern part of the state and their depth.

If you went maybe 40-50 miles north to columbia county/dodge county there are some shallower lakes that freeze earlier.  I'm not familiar with the Madison chain, I don't fish on lakes that you can't drive on.... FYI, you can not drive a vehicle on any lake in Dane County.  You may use an atv or snowmobile, but it has to have certified flotation devices attached.

I do know that Monona/Mendota has a 40" min pike size limit and there are some slobs out there..... :tipup:

Offline onabucket

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Oct 19, 2010, 08:00 PM »
Easiest place to find bluegills for early ice is Monona Bay.

+1.  That's where I started last year when I was new to the area.  It's also a good place to make a few friends, there's no shortage of people or fish there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.