The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Map analysis for fun and education  (Read 1172 times)

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
Map analysis for fun and education
« on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:28 AM »
OK, awhile back I posted a lake map for the guys to analyze.  I posted it in the general area.  I thought it might be fun and educational to submit a lake a week, in each states area.  We could do our best to figure out where the best areas would be, for our favorite fish, at that particular time and phase of the ice conditions.

We could see how it works out here in the Wisconsin area.  If it works out we can invite the guys in the other states to do the same.  Even if we don't know much individually, the combined knowledge could help even the expert.

As I already had an analysis of a lake done, I'll give someone else a chance first.  Just upload it like a photo. 

If you want a map of a lake you want to submit you can find free maps at the following link.
 http://dnr.wi.gov/lakes/maps/
That is a Wisconsin DNR site, so if you can't get there through this link, just go to dnr.wi.gov and work through the path.  You can get most lakes in all the counties.  IT"S FREE TOO!  well you already paid for them anyway through taxes

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Map analysis for fun and education
« Reply #1 on: Jan 02, 2010, 06:18 PM »
Ok!  I'll start.  I am posting Cauldron Falls.  It is in Northeast Wisconsin it is about 1500-1600 acres.  It is the first flowage in a chain of flowage's connected by dams.  Most guys fish in the western part of the flowage which is the deepest.  There is a significant migration in spring towards the eastern section to the Peshtigo river which feeds the flowage.  This map was made in the late 70's early 80's.

It has a population that includes Muskie, Northern, Walleye, Large and Small-mouth bass.  The population of crappies is good and also has perch and bluegills.  Each of the three bays in the eastern section have feeder creeks.

Ok give it a shot.

Offline j-sep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:08 PM »
If you really want to make this fun, have everybody download Google Earth (free) and mark their points on the lake. Just a thought. I will give this a try. Am i suppose to send you a lake?

J-SEP

Offline SLED_NECK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:41 PM »
i cant figure out how to save it as a pic, it only lets me save it as a pdf. file

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #4 on: Jan 06, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Early ice, I would fish the bays with stumps and structure.
As the ice gets thick, I would drop out to the main channel, and fish this flowage like it was a river.

Late Ice, I would look for current areas, bays in the north / west side of the flowage because I think they would warm faster.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 07, 2010, 08:16 AM »
If you really want to make this fun, have everybody download Google Earth (free) and mark their points on the lake. Just a thought. I will give this a try. Am i suppose to send you a lake?

J-SEP

I don't know how to do the google thing, but if you do maybe we could do that?????,  I just thought it would be interesting to see how other people see the lakes we fish, and how they would go about fishing it.

We could let a map ride about a week and someone else could post a new one.  Then we could all take a crack at how we would figure it out.

Sled Neck, If your having problems saving this map, you can find it on the DNR site.  They give directions on how to download it.  I think I may have saved it as a PDF file and converted it to a picture file.

We all ought to be able to learn a lot from each other.  What do you guys think??

Offline j-sep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 07, 2010, 10:00 AM »
the google maps thing is awesome, you can mark points and download them to your GPS or upload points from your gps. along with the maps you provided from the DNR it is a very powerful tool. and it is just that cool. I am going to try and find a way to post the map.

J-SEP

Offline j-sep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 07, 2010, 01:59 PM »

Here is where I would probably start off. natural funnel between shore and shallow hump yet close to the natural structure of the Peshtigo. Sorry if the image doesn't work.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:32 PM »
(Image removed from quote.)

Here is where I would probably start off. natural funnel between shore and shallow hump yet close to the natural structure of the Peshtigo. Sorry if the image doesn't work.

Can't seem to get your illustration to show.

Offline j-sep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:35 PM »
try right clicking and opening in a new window

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 07, 2010, 02:48 PM »
try right clicking and opening in a new window

NOPE!  doesn't even offer that option??

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum