The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Post ice conditions around WI here.  (Read 31320 times)

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Post ice conditions around WI here.
« Reply #120 on: Dec 29, 2009, 11:00 PM »
Today on Wind lake, 7 inches of ice. And one nice northern 27 inches on my jig rod.

Offline slowkota

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Biggest jumbo yellabellies
« Reply #121 on: Dec 30, 2009, 12:31 AM »
Anyone been out on Altoona since the storm? I was in north-central SD for Christmas (nasty weather for 4 days straight), then came back to hear about a bunch of rain in the Eau Claire area.

How's the ice on Altoona? My shack is still out there and I probably at least need to get out there and check on it before I leave for another 3 days this weekend  ::)

You've probably been out there since that posting... But if you haven't the ice is really good out there. I was out this afternoon/evening and it was around 14 inches, with 11 inches or so good clear ice, in the middle where most of the shacks are. All the shacks seemed fine, although there was a homade blue tarp-style shack that was folded flat, which really seemed odd!
Not much biting though, jiggin and mostly deadstickin for walleyes and we only managed to catch a dink perch! It was beautiful out there this evening though, not quite a full moon but still really bright, and really calm barely a breeze!
Goin back out tomorrow to test out my new vexilar!

Offline stinkynathan

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #122 on: Dec 30, 2009, 10:50 AM »
You've probably been out there since that posting... But if you haven't the ice is really good out there. I was out this afternoon/evening and it was around 14 inches, with 11 inches or so good clear ice, in the middle where most of the shacks are. All the shacks seemed fine, although there was a homade blue tarp-style shack that was folded flat, which really seemed odd!
Not much biting though, jiggin and mostly deadstickin for walleyes and we only managed to catch a dink perch! It was beautiful out there this evening though, not quite a full moon but still really bright, and really calm barely a breeze!
Goin back out tomorrow to test out my new vexilar!

Actually, I haven't gotten out since then. It sounds like tomorrow will be the day. I gotta get out there and test out my new collapsible spud bar. Also need to get my shack moved into the channel before the ice gets too thick. Hand auger + 14 inches of ice is no fun.

That homemade shack with the blue tarp was actually mine. It was always REALLY windy in South Dakota, so I got in the habit of collapsing the shack down every time I left after seeing the wind grab onto it once. I guess I don't need to do that here in WI.

You have shack in that group? I'm Nate. Stop by and say hello some time.

Anyone heard ice/fishing reports from Wissota and Menomin?

Offline KQ700

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #123 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:40 AM »
Actually, I haven't gotten out since then. It sounds like tomorrow will be the day. I gotta get out there and test out my new collapsible spud bar. Also need to get my shack moved into the channel before the ice gets too thick. Hand auger + 14 inches of ice is no fun.

That homemade shack with the blue tarp was actually mine. It was always REALLY windy in South Dakota, so I got in the habit of collapsing the shack down every time I left after seeing the wind grab onto it once. I guess I don't need to do that here in WI.

You have shack in that group? I'm Nate. Stop by and say hello some time.

Anyone heard ice/fishing reports from Wissota and Menomin?
On my way to work yesterday I saw on few cars on the ice by the View. I still don't think the ice isn't safe to drive on yet "IMO". I just don't trust Wissota. It's better to be safe than sorry.
A Bad Day Fishing Is Better Than A Good Day At Work
Member of FLW & B.A.S.S.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #124 on: Jan 10, 2010, 09:34 AM »
I went out to Plunkett Lake (Iron County) near Manitowish Waters.

I measured 9" of good ice.  I only caught one fish.  29 1/2" Splake.

Wiener

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #125 on: Jan 15, 2010, 05:47 PM »
Yesterday on long lake Racine county, 11 to13 inches, drove all over in my van.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #126 on: Jan 15, 2010, 07:46 PM »
Red River Park - Green Bay.

Arrived on 1-14-10, saw full size pickup trucks driving out, so I drove out.

22 inches of ice where I fished.   Ice was kind of crappy with clear ice and white ice mixed about 50-50.

Wiener

Offline CJW

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #127 on: Jan 15, 2010, 08:03 PM »
Lake Alice, Lincoln County  12" of ice.  3-4" of junk, the rest is nice and clear, trucks all over it.

Offline silvercliff_46

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #128 on: Jan 15, 2010, 10:41 PM »
I was on Cauldron Falls wen.  14 + inches of ice.  Cars, trucks, shanty's all over the place.  We are in full swing guys go for it(but just in case be careful)

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #129 on: Jan 16, 2010, 08:44 PM »
Today on School Section lake Waukesha county, 15 inches of good ice and drove all over in the truck.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #130 on: Jan 20, 2010, 09:52 PM »
Fished Dubay, Marathon Co. at the County park, (Hwy E)  18" of ice.

Lots of people driving out on the ice.

The ice was good, no breaks, chunks, or large cracks.

Wiener

Offline big_ajk

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #131 on: Jan 22, 2010, 10:22 PM »
Lake Dexter just south of Pittsville WI, 17" of decent ice.  Been driving my truck out there for a couple weeks now.

Half Moon on the Eau Claire Flowage, 16" where i fished.  About 20% crappy ice on top of real good ice.  Also drove my truck out there a couple times this year.

Offline PressureCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #132 on: Jan 26, 2010, 09:38 PM »
The ice on Green Bay is very spotty this year. Some areas are good for truck travel and some are very dangerous.my favorite areas on the northern part of the bay are very bad right now, atv's have went through recently, and open water has been present. I fish from Dykesville
north to Sand Bay in Door Co. Fishing for perch has been good one day and non existant the next. whitefish are real easy to catch, but as I will allways state "one step above a sucker" Just less bones. Like to keep in touch with other bay fisherman, for ice conditions and reports. I
am out there all the time, but I'm going inland tomorrow, Shawano lake, Take care PressureCrack. :tipup:

Offline PressureCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #133 on: Jan 27, 2010, 10:25 PM »
I am new to Ice Shanty, I can not post pictures, I can not respond to messages, I'm not a Major Lake-Link fan, but I have an easier time messaging and posting. Do I need to be a paid member to have these privileges? Littlestrugeonguy, I ended up at Dykesville today. flipped a coin and the bay won. lots of marks on the flasher, but very finicky. 4 perch 2 shmelties, perch were decent, all over 9". The wind was a howling, the shanty was a big asset today. The ice at red river and Dykesville is awesome. Tight lines PressureCrack.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #134 on: Jan 28, 2010, 07:37 AM »
I think you have to wait until you get a couple more posts under your belt. Right now you've got two and I think you need 10 or something like that. WELCOME!

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline HIMO

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • GOATBOYS WISCONSIN CHAPTER 1st Wisconsin goat!!
« Reply #135 on: Jan 28, 2010, 08:04 AM »
a few more posts and the whole Iceshanty world will open up to you. welcome to the site.

HIMO
                                     Wisconsin Iceshanty Moderator
It's not how deep you fish, but how you wiggle your worm !!!

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #136 on: Jan 30, 2010, 08:59 AM »
Green Bay - Dykesville

Ice = 22"

Lots of vehicles on the ice, good driving but very slippery.

Wiener

Offline BigJohn

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #137 on: Feb 09, 2010, 01:17 PM »
Denoon lake Racine County, 13 inches of good ice. Yesterday Wind lake 15 inches good ice.

Offline PressureCrack

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #138 on: Feb 16, 2010, 11:13 PM »
Been fishing out of Red River/Dykesville when the weather is right. Went out in the snow storm we had last Tuesday, did well on perch, allways do in storms. I only had a small window to fish, so I went out to take advantage of it. marked the heck out of em. I could of had a limit if I had more time.
Had to pick my daughter up from school at 330pm. Went out the next day, Wed and boy that pressure change really made a difference! Only caught
three. If it wasn't for the camera we wouldn't have caught any! I really believe in the rising and falling pressure to negotiate the bite. Well I have to
work all week this week, next week I'll be at em again. Ice is great! 18 to 20 inches everywhere I've been. Good luck to all PressureCrack.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #139 on: Feb 17, 2010, 02:30 AM »
Went to Larson's reef out of Sand Bay Resort.

Travel is recommended by ATV or Sled only, due to big differences in ice thickness.

First spot, near the reef had 15" of ice, at 8:30 went to chase whitefish in 60 feet of water, ice was 6 1/2".

Limited out on Whitefish, no hits from the Walleyes.

Hope this helps,

Wiener

Offline yoslick

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #140 on: Mar 13, 2010, 06:41 PM »
Just opened the Bear Trap at the dam in St Croix Falls on the upper St Croix, won't be any ice left by 2mro afternoon!!

Slick
DCC(SW/MTS) US Navy retired 75-95

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.