The ice fishing Wisconsin boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: DNR regs on line attendance.....  (Read 6176 times)

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
DNR regs on line attendance.....
« on: Oct 20, 2009, 08:59 PM »
Got a question for anyone out there who might have had this rule clarified.

As it reads in the book, it says you must stay within 100 yards of your line when fishing in OPEN WATER.

As I read this, it would make me think that over 100 yds on the ice is ok, but I've never really asked a warden what their interpretation is on this.  I usually set up tip-ups roughly at 50, 100, 150 yds in a line away from me, (sometimes further if I have room to roam) just wondering if what I'm doing is legal.  I've never been questioned or asked by a warden about my tip-up distances.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: DNR regs on line attendance.....
« Reply #1 on: Oct 21, 2009, 05:43 PM »
Personally... I would say that is wayyyyyyy too far.... even at 100 yards... personally... I don't believe that you can properly attend to those tip-ups. Just my 2 cents worth.........

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #2 on: Oct 21, 2009, 06:02 PM »
To each their own I guess......

When I have boards in the water, I don't screw around jigging to distract me, I always have eyes on my flags.  That's why I run them in a line, it's easier to see them that way.  You only have to focus in 1 direction.  100 yds is spitting distance if you know what you're doing.  IMO if you can't see a popped flag at 100 yds, you need your eyes checked.  Of course if your like my buddy who uses a faded orange (almost white) frabill thermal, you can't tell if that flag is up even at 50 yds, it's so hard to see against the snow.  That's another reason I stick with my BD's, they are easy to see if they are up or down.

I also run quads to my flags, get there quicker.  I don't fish tip-ups unless my Arctic Cat is on the ice with me.

Anyhow, I'm looking for FACTS, not opinions, is it legal or not to place tip-ups beyond 100 yds?

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Oct 21, 2009, 06:53 PM »
1st of all... I didn't say that the flags couldn't be seen.... I said that you could not properly attend them. BIG difference. I also said that was MY opinion. Now.... since you're getting a little attitude and you want FACTS and not OPINIONS.... maybe you should pick up the phone and call you're local DNR office instead of posting in here... If I was ACTUALLY questioning the legality of something I was doing... I would want to get the info right from the source....... not a group of guys that I do not know........

Again... just my opinion.........

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #4 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:55 PM »
1st of all... I didn't say that the flags couldn't be seen.... I said that you could not properly attend them. BIG difference. I also said that was MY opinion. Now.... since you're getting a little attitude and you want FACTS and not OPINIONS.... maybe you should pick up the phone and call you're local DNR office instead of posting in here... If I was ACTUALLY questioning the legality of something I was doing... I would want to get the info right from the source....... not a group of guys that I do not know........

Maybe you can explain why you think you can not properly attend to a line 100 yds away....  You must have a reason.  Seeing your flag is the biggest part of "attending a line"

I posted this question here because I know someone has had to have asked this question before.  If someone says Yes or No definitively, then I have some basis to work with.  I intend on asking a warden face to face when the season starts, (calling the DNR is like calling the DMV, you get nowhere in a hurry) that doesn't mean I can't get some FRIENDLY info prior.  As much as I like to debate, if somone is going to get all bent, please just don't respond.

Offline FishingNewEngland

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #5 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:58 PM »
Please define properly attending a trap. What's the difference if it's 10 feet away or 300 feet away? As long as the spool has enough line and you're watching it, that to me counts as attending a trap.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #6 on: Oct 21, 2009, 07:59 PM »

Um.... You seem to be the one with the attitude.

Offline Wiener

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warranty Void if Seal is Broken
« Reply #7 on: Oct 21, 2009, 08:34 PM »
TIBS,

I think the key here is that you have your tip ups out and are watching them.  Like you said, you are not doing something else.

I know guys that set tip ups then go in their shack and watch the game, play cards, and only occasionally glance out the window.

Others are running around on a four wheeler, or snowmobile and are not really paying strict attention to their setups.

The question centers on what a warden sees when he comes upon your setup.  Is he going to see a fisherman intently watching for a flag?
or (as is sometimes the case) is he going to see a drunk who only vaguely remembers that he has a tip up out.

As far as I am concerned,  as long as your tip ups are visible, and you are actually fishing and not goofing around, you're ok.

Just my .02 cents.

Wiener

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Oct 21, 2009, 11:45 PM »
Please define properly attending a trap. What's the difference if it's 10 feet away or 300 feet away? As long as the spool has enough line and you're watching it, that to me counts as attending a trap.

IMO a properly attended trap would be a trap that you can get to within a reasonable amount of time to greatly reduce the chance of a fish swallowing the hook and being mortally wounded if it happened to be a short fish that would not be kept... or a breeder fish to be put back... or any not legal fish due to size or species......... This would have to be figured if you were on a trap on one end of your line...... and having to go to the other end. Personally... I don't believe it should be a legal issue if it is "too far" but more of an ethics issue. I believe that is the difference if it is 10 feet away or 300 feet away.

I also believe this gets into an issue of someone hogging a whole area of a lake........ I don't personally know TIBS or anything about how he fishes... but from his response to someone giving an opinion... I can only imagine that he doesn't want anyone fishing anywhere near him. With that being said... now that he is stretching out his tip-ups at least up to 450 feet......that is taking up a LOT of space on a drop-off, ledge, rock bar... whatever he happens to be fishing that nobody else can fish......... again... just my opinion and inferences...

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #9 on: Oct 22, 2009, 06:58 AM »

I also believe this gets into an issue of someone hogging a whole area of a lake........ I don't personally know TIBS or anything about how he fishes... but from his response to someone giving an opinion... I can only imagine that he doesn't want anyone fishing anywhere near him. With that being said... now that he is stretching out his tip-ups at least up to 450 feet......that is taking up a LOT of space on a drop-off, ledge, rock bar... whatever he happens to be fishing that nobody else can fish......... again... just my opinion and inferences...

Early bird catches the worm.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Oct 22, 2009, 08:49 AM »
Early bird catches the worm.

That JUST isn't right.......

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing New England
« Reply #11 on: Oct 22, 2009, 08:59 AM »
That JUST isn't right.......

Why not? If I'm up and out of the house hours before you, why shouldn't I get the "Good Spot"? Why should I give it up to someone who shows up at 9AM if I've been there since 6AM?

If I'm putting the effort in to catch good fish and someone shows up and expects me to move so they can have a chance, hope they're prepared for resistance.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Oct 22, 2009, 09:08 AM »
No one owns the lake, drill where you want. If your'e gonna spread out that far don't be suprised or upset if people start fishing inbetween tip ups. Then they aren't being attended to because they can't be seen. As stated before you should contact your local law enforcement and get thier take on the situation because ultimatly it is thier opinon wether or not you get a ticket. I personally agree that you should be able to get to a tip up within a minute or two to avoid hurting a short or out of season fish. You could also set up in the center of your spread if it's 100 yards long that way you aren't more than 50 yards from either end which would make more sense to me.

Offline Melbs7

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Oct 22, 2009, 06:25 PM »
You could also set up in the center of your spread if it's 100 yards long that way you aren't more than 50 yards from either end which would make more sense to me.

Thanks for chiming in... as far as setting up in the middle... I imagine that he is setting up there... the issue comes in when he is attending to a tip-up on one end of his 450 foot line of tip-ups....then he is obviously more than 100 yards away from the far end one. anyhow... I can see I am obviously out numbered here... and I'm NOT looking for a fight... so I am going to chime out of this one from here on out....... good luck on finding the info that you're searching for... I hope it is accurate for your sake.......

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #14 on: Oct 22, 2009, 08:26 PM »
Thanks for chiming in... as far as setting up in the middle... I imagine that he is setting up there... the issue comes in when he is attending to a tip-up on one end of his 450 foot line of tip-ups....then he is obviously more than 100 yards away from the far end one. anyhow... I can see I am obviously out numbered here... and I'm NOT looking for a fight... so I am going to chime out of this one from here on out....... good luck on finding the info that you're searching for... I hope it is accurate for your sake.......

No, I am not setting up in the middle, which is a big reason why my tip-ups are as far away as they are, I want to only look in 1 direction to see if my flags are up.

Maybe no one read one of my last posts, I ride an ATV to my flags, I'm a firm believer that once a fish commits, the sound of a quad won't make them drop it, I catch the majority of fish on my tip-ups.  I'm on my flag at 150 faster than the average joe walking to a 50.

Offline iluvpounders

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:01 AM »
Interesting way to "chime out" Melbs ::)   Personally I think if you're on a lake alone or in a spot where there aren't a lot of people as long as you're watching your flags it doesn't matter. BUT if I were going out to fish one of my spots and I see a flag out there and I see you 150 yards away I'm going to set up between you and your flag (if you're on the spot on the spot) and I'll pull the rule book out to justify. There was one time I went out to one of my spots and it looked like there wasn't anybody on the lake. I set everything up and was sitting in my house and there was a flag but it wasn't mine. About 10 minutes later some guy comes up in his wheeler and pulls the flag and drives away. Obviously this guy was illegal since he was at least 500 yards away and on the other side of a point!

If I'm not fishing or hunting right now, you can bet that I\'m thinking about it!

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:33 AM »
Like I said in my post the only opinon that counts on the subject is the guy with the badge and ticket book  :callcops: . Call and get the rules is the easy answer to this question.

Offline jascpa099

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • You don't win friends with salad.
« Reply #17 on: Nov 17, 2009, 07:45 AM »
It seems like a gray area like this could be interperated different by each officer based on what he sees.  I would imagine that the warden hearing you say "but the guy on iceshanty.com said it would be ok" wouldn't hold much water....But saying a phonecall to SGT Whoever said it was okay might be much better!  Just my thoughts!
God is great; beer is good, and people are crazy!

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Nov 17, 2009, 03:03 PM »
Kind of a hot topic.  I work on DNR Warden equipment and I have asked at least 4 different wardens this exact same question and I got 4 different answers....I even tell them that the other wardens gave different answers than theirs and then they fall back to the old "it's up to my interpretation of the rules" answer.  I know this doesn't help except to say I would ask the warden that covers your area and make sure where he/she stands on the subject as others have stated and I wouldn't take that as gospel for other areas of the state.

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #19 on: Nov 17, 2009, 04:35 PM »
Kind of a hot topic.  I work on DNR Warden equipment and I have asked at least 4 different wardens this exact same question and I got 4 different answers....I even tell them that the other wardens gave different answers than thiers and then they fall back to the old "it's up to my interpetation of the rules" answer.  I know this doesn't help exept to say I would ask the warden that covers you area and make sure where he/she stands on the subject as others have stated.  I would also not take that as gospel for other areas of the state.

Hot topic indeed.

I was afraid this would be the case, thanks for your info, at least someone on here has talked to warden on this subject.

Jascpa099, I fully intend on talking to a warden about this issue, however I'm waiting to meet one face to face instead of over the phone.

Offline Sledgod

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Nov 17, 2009, 04:37 PM »
Well if your interested I could get you a name and number of the warden/wardens around your area and PM you.

Offline blackbeast

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #21 on: Nov 26, 2009, 08:39 AM »
as the reg book reads there is no special regs for ice fishing or open water like other states have. so in my interpitation you need to be within 100 yrds of your line but like stated above it is up to the descetion of the warden that is writing your ticket. but that is just my thought and i have never personaly asked the wardens in my area.
thats the biggest smelt i've ever seen 

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #22 on: Nov 26, 2009, 10:35 AM »
as the reg book reads there is no special regs for ice fishing or open water like other states have. so in my interpitation you need to be within 100 yrds of your line but like stated above it is up to the descetion of the warden that is writing your ticket. but that is just my thought and i have never personaly asked the wardens in my area.

It's just confusing when they specifically say "open water" in the reg book.  This should be clarified in the regs.

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Nov 28, 2009, 10:11 AM »
One day I watched a Warden trip a tip-up flag.  He walked away and waited for the "attendee " to come and to the flag.  It took close to 6 min. for the fisherman to get out of  the house and come to the tip-up.  About a half hour later the Warden stopped to check my license.  I asked him about the tip-up.  He told me that he will observe fisherman for a period of time before confronting them.  He said that people will either come clean or the  violators will dig a hole for theselves.  He said be honest.  If you think it might be wrong than don't do it.  Use some sense and typically you will be o.k.  He told me (believe it if you want)  that he wasn't going to fine that person until he started to lie about the situation. 
I also believe in understanding the rules fully and that we have the right to challenge the law enforcer when they are not following the rules themselves.   

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #24 on: Nov 28, 2009, 11:06 AM »
I wonder if we've all seen a warden trip a flag and wait.  I watched as a warden tripped a flag near shore on a small lake during a fisheree once.  Took the guy about 15 min. to get out of his house (lake house, not shack) and get the flag.  He got ticketed.

Anyhow, if you're not watching your flags, your not attending them, no matter how far away they are.  I've never let a flag go that long, I'm always watching my flags, I intentionally don't jig or watch TV or do anything else that's going to distract me from seeing that flag go up.

Offline paullo19

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Nov 28, 2009, 03:44 PM »
If you are wondering if you are legal,call your local game warden.Simple as that... I could really care less if you are 150 yards away from your tip ups but don't be surprised if people fish between them...They would where I fish... Paul

Offline TIBS

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Tipup!!!!!
« Reply #26 on: Nov 28, 2009, 07:42 PM »
but don't be surprised if people fish between them...They would where I fish... Paul

Not likely where I fish, but it's possible I suppose.  It hasn't happened yet anyway.  I have more problems with people trying to run them over than anything.

Offline Irish Jigger

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Nov 28, 2009, 08:00 PM »
One day I watched a Warden trip a tip-up flag.   
I also believe in understanding the rules fully and that we have the right to challenge the law enforcer when they are not following the rules themselves.   
Isn't "tampering" with someone elses trap a crime in itself? Around here if they see you touch someones' trap that doesn't have your name and adress on it you get a ticket. We used to set out 15-20 tipups in a group of 3 or 4 guys and make a game of racing to them no matter which one went off until we were told this by a game warden. We weren't ticketed mainly because he got a laugh out of us kicking each others a$$es to get to a flag but someone with a different attitude would have got us.

Offline comp

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Nov 30, 2009, 09:23 AM »
many of the DNR rules are like the IRS rules. It comes down to interpretation.  Example if two people are out fishing, both catch their limit, time to pack up and leave, they put all the fish in one bucket, legal???  It is not legal according to DNR.  But try it in court and a jury may see it differently.  Who has the time or more right?? Just what the law enforcement is looking for.  If I feel I am right I will try it court.  Big business does this all the time with the IRS,  most of us little guys don't have the time or money so we just pay it, right.

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Nov 30, 2009, 10:53 AM »
It's a judgment call on both parties.. If you have any doubt that you're too far (distance or time) away from your tip ups then don't set them there. It's better to be safe than sorry because there are always wardens who are very strict. If it takes you 5 minutes to respond to a flag, there is probably no excuse that will convince them. The easiest way is to ask a warden if you see one, or call the DNR office and talk to some wardens. Better yet, write a letter or email so you actually have something in writing if you ever get hassled.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.