The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Cold Water Rescue  (Read 2976 times)

Offline HeclaHardWater

• Team IceShanty Regular
Cold Water Rescue
« on: Jan 26, 2020, 08:10 AM »

Offline bigfoot86

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Cold Water Rescue
« Reply #1 on: Jan 26, 2020, 11:38 AM »
Thankfully all are alive!  But please use some common sense and be safe.  No fish is worth goin for a swim.

Offline jedhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 26, 2020, 01:28 PM »
Getting crazy, 3 people died here in NJ this week alone that went through, sadly 2 were young kids

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 26, 2020, 01:40 PM »
There have been 14 ice drowning deaths in us this week.Saw it on news today and most were from Minnesota and other good ice states like michegan Im sure more stupidity will follow this week!!!!

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 27, 2020, 03:01 PM »
why would you say they were stupid

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Jan 27, 2020, 06:33 PM »
why would you say they were stupid
Well mo. With all the fisherman going out on marginal ice for a fish. That seems stupid to some of us. I cant believe all the people going out on 2" or less. This year.   is there really any fish in the lake worth losing your life for.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 27, 2020, 07:17 PM »
Really why would you call them stupid REALLY There is very little safe ice at all anywhere in our area and oyher areas for that matter Why in heck would someone risk losing there life and perhaps others trying to rescue the STUPID.How about the children and wives of the families of the STUPID just to say I got out for a few dink panfish NOW that's is really STUPID. Sorry guys it happens mild winters just have to deal with it.I love ice fishing and have been doing it for over 60 years but to have to tippy toe and spud every step seems senseless to me But this is just my opinion. Sorry for the rant

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 28, 2020, 05:18 AM »
Ice is never safe

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 28, 2020, 05:33 AM »
I just. Don’t believe in bad mouthing someone who died.how about the wife and children of those poor people that died? I think your comment on stupidity did not make them feel any better but to each his own.yes you should not go on the ice unless you feel that the ice is safe.my  condolences go out to the families at this time.i do hope we don’t loose no one else

Offline Kov619

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 28, 2020, 07:34 AM »
I don’t think Jarhead was bad mouthing anyone....with the winter we are having this year w have to think ...more than being on the ice  ....I do ice fish and been on the ice for over 50 years....I yet to get wet...because I respect the sport....the new Float suits make people think they are safe on less than 4” of clear ice that suit does not make you super man the ice fisher man....sure we all enjoy this sport but  NO FISH IS WORTH YOUR LIFE OR PUT 1st RESPONDERS  AT RISK...TRYING TO GET YOU OR YOUR BUDDY OUT......

Bad ice is bad for your health....walk with care....

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 28, 2020, 07:48 AM »
I guess we just have a different definition of bad mouthing someone.enough said.

Offline redwulf1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 28, 2020, 07:50 AM »
Respect what your about to step on. Carry ice picks around your neck. Pound each step ahead of you with your redneck chisel. Know the difference of what good ice and bad ice is. Get to know the body of water you will visit ahead of time with a recon.

Our winters now are being called roller coaster winters due to extreme temperature changes. Ice forms, then weakens, forms again, disappears and forms again. So your timing and body of water will need to be extremely accurate.By this I mean shifting from small ponds to lake coves to small empoundment areas in larger lakes.

Finally, the one we all eventually do because of much we love our sport. Is keep moving NORTH  ;D :tipup: :tipup: :tipup:
\\\" Why are you looking at this computer, You should be IceFishin!\\\"

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Jan 28, 2020, 10:29 AM »
To ice fish comes with certain risks.  They are accepted risks.  Those risks increase and decrease many times (but not always) with know factors at which we all should be familiar with if your going to ice fish.  Hence the accepted risk.  I think that it is reasonable to say if you are going to ice fish you should take the necessary precautions with ice safety and safety equipment needed and understand that even though you do that is not a fix all or guarantee to/for safety.  I think the point that is trying to be made is possibly, just possibly, there is a better way to say things. There is no need to degrade or insult others to make a point. 

For instance:

So, sad, so sad, to hear of yet another fallen brother.  My thoughts and prays go out to there friends and family.  I'm sure they will be missed by many.  Please take the necessary safety precaution when you head out to enjoy the sport we love.  Please post up the conditions you find so that we can all assess what is safe for each of us. 

OR WE CAN TYPE IN CAPS, POINT FINGERS, AND MAKE STUPID COMMENTS.  See now that was not very nice. 

My way is not always the correct way.  I have found that to be true more and more often in life.  It is  another simply another way.  Take it for what it is worth one persons meaningless option or totally discard it. 

Enjoy your day, be safe this season, and post up reports if you have the desire to be bashed by other because you way or option varies from theirs.

All the best,

Snapper                     

Offline mitcher

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #13 on: Jan 28, 2020, 10:45 AM »
I agree, well put snapper.

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 28, 2020, 11:31 AM »
To ice fish comes with certain risks.  They are accepted risks.  Those risks increase and decrease many times (but not always) with know factors at which we all should be familiar with if your going to ice fish.  Hence the accepted risk.  I think that it is reasonable to say if you are going to ice fish you should take the necessary precautions with ice safety and safety equipment needed and understand that even though you do that is not a fix all or guarantee to/for safety.  I think the point that is trying to be made is possibly, just possibly, there is a better way to say things. There is no need to degrade or insult others to make a point. 

For instance:

So, sad, so sad, to hear of yet another fallen brother.  My thoughts and prays go out to there friends and family.  I'm sure they will be missed by many.  Please take the necessary safety precaution when you head out to enjoy the sport we love.  Please post up the conditions you find so that we can all assess what is safe for each of us. 

OR WE CAN TYPE IN CAPS, POINT FINGERS, AND MAKE STUPID COMMENTS.  See now that was not very nice. 

My way is not always the correct way.  I have found that to be true more and more often in life.  It is  another simply another way.  Take it for what it is worth one persons meaningless option or totally discard it. 

Enjoy your day, be safe this season, and post up reports if you have the desire to be bashed by other because you way or option varies from theirs.

All the best,

Snapper                     

Offline jarhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Jan 28, 2020, 11:35 AM »
Im so sorry snapper but my view of this differs from yours. These folks aren't dying because they fell in from really safe ice if there is such a thing No the ice is marginal at best around here so is an acceptable risk to fall thru on a 2 inch sheet of ice I think not Im really not berating anyone like you say I am but there is an old saying Stupid is as stupid does!!!

Offline Snapper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 28, 2020, 12:08 PM »
Post what you are comfortable with without spot burning...  I'm one who does not post exact locations nor will I.  But I believe there is nothing wrong with saying I fished this lake or this bay in a lake and found these type of conditions with these results. 

The reason people do not post is because when they do they get blasted for it.

For instance:

I fished first ice and found these conditions.  They get you are stupid!  My life is worth more than a dink blue gill.  They post a pile of 10 inch crappies and say great day on the slabs!  Which it may very well be for them and that is okay.  But they get, those are not slabs! I consider a slab to be 12 and 7/8 of an inch or bigger only!  Or they catch some bass and then they get how could you ever! And if they post a pick of a musky they get a hit put out on them.  When they are fishing legally on public waters.     

You can post conditions and results without spot burning or cutting your own throat.     

Our views are very similar.  The way we phase our response differs.  There are ways to be heard and be impactful without creating controversy or stirring the preverbal pot while being beneficial to this online community at which we choose to belong to.  But then again the flipside to that is if you do not want to hear go to another place or do not post up. 

Be Safe,

Snapper     

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Jan 28, 2020, 03:40 PM »
A buddy of mine sent me a picture that appeared to be the three guys ice fishing Saturday. He told me that they were the only three out there. He also jokingly wanted me to go with him. I told him that it Would be crazy and stupid for us to go out. Not a half an hour later the call went out.

Offline russelln114

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 28, 2020, 03:43 PM »
A buddy of mine sent me a picture that appeared to be the three guys ice fishing Saturday at lake Rowena. He told me that they were the only three out there. He also jokingly wanted me to go with him. I told him that it Would be crazy and stupid for us to go out. Not a half an hour later the call went out. 3 inches of melting ice is a lot different than 3 inches and building. Stay safe everyone.

Offline uncleshorty

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Born up the mountain, raised in a cave...
« Reply #19 on: Jan 28, 2020, 04:42 PM »
Ask any Safety Professional and you'll be told.  Accidents don't "happen".  They are caused.  Every one of them.

Three guys ignore basic ice safety rules.  That seems pretty stupid to me.  How many of you ignore basic safety rules at work?  If you do you're stupid.

How many of you ignore Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) requirements at work?  If you do you're stupid.  These guys apparently had no self rescue tools and no way to determine ice safety.  They ignored their PPE requirements.  That's stupid.

If you ignore safety rules and PPE requirements at work you won't be stupid long.  If you ignore safety rules and PPE requirements on the ice you won't be stupid long.

You can call stupidity a ham sandwich if it soothes your fe-fes.

But dead is dead... and stupid is stupid...
Ice fishin' & turtlin's all I crave...

Offline JiggerMan

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • one of my future ice buddies
« Reply #20 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:06 PM »
when it comes to people knowingly going out on marginal at best ice....  they took that chance. 

in response to "what about the families of the people" ......

those people should of been responsible enough to of thought of this themselves and not been in the situation they find themselves in.

stupid games give stupid prizes.   

RGIII keeps a bench mighty warm

Offline beerduck

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • beer and fish nut
« Reply #21 on: Jan 28, 2020, 06:13 PM »
ive text while i drove yes im dumb didnt have a rope to pull my gun up into my tree stand yes im dumb judgement calls we all meet our maker and give thanks to who helps us stay safe i eat what i want not recommended but its my call im sure he who lives in those glass houses never cast stones life is a judgement call i dont go out on ice unless i think its ok my judgement and others are different i perfer 5 but walked on 3

Offline butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Jan 28, 2020, 08:31 PM »
I’ll respectfully offer my two cents on this discussion. I think we can all agree that “safe ice” isn’t always safe and accidents can happen on the ice even when we take reasonable precautions however, when someone takes risks on marginal ice, the results are hardly an accident. There are always those people that take risks and comment that it’s their lives they are risking and therefore, their right to make that decision. I disagree.  When someone falls through the ice and cannot save himself, other people need to intervene to attempt a rescue. An ice rescue is extremely dangerous, even under the best circumstances. If I saw someone go in, I would try to help as I’m sure most others would. That puts me in danger too.  Remember this, if you have knowingly ventured onto sketchy ice and fall through, you are not only endangering your life, but the lives of rescue workers and other people nearby as well.

Before you knowingly tread on questionable ice, maybe you should think about what you are going to tell my wife and kids or someone else’s loved ones why someone had to die because you really wanted to catch some fish.

Offline P-Wo

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Jan 28, 2020, 09:42 PM »
I agree with 1moslab.
They made the wrong choice that day that doesn’t make them stupid.
I remember being at the lake, about 3 years ago now, when my friends discovered a fisherman had gone through the ice and the hole had already froze over. While the rescue teams were working to make the recovery the family members showed up and waited on shore. People around were giving their condolences to the family. I couldn’t imagine someone saying to them he was stupid.

Offline 1MOFISH

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • The ice is always safe are you in ???????????????
« Reply #24 on: Jan 29, 2020, 09:22 AM »
Ice is never safe
stupidity :behavior that shows a lack of good sense or judgment.

"I can't believe my own stupidity"
GOD BLESS
mo
LOVE THE LORD YOUR GOD WITH ALL YOUR HEART AND SOUL AND STRENGTH and'LOVE THY NEiGHBOR AS THYSELF'   GOD

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.