The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: harvest the big one  (Read 2660 times)

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
harvest the big one
« on: Nov 26, 2008, 05:17 AM »
good luck to everyone getting out in the woods on monday.
hope to see a couple of bruiser bucks pics posted in the
shanty. in my area u can only shoot buck for the first week.
should be a little more calmer for the first week of the season.
good luck and be safe.

Offline mschott

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: harvest the big one
« Reply #1 on: Nov 27, 2008, 07:58 AM »
good luck to you too -ya should be a little less like a war zone -the first week anyway !

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Nov 27, 2008, 04:55 PM »
yeah but on the bright side more people arent going to go out and shoot the first deer that walks by so hopefully it will keep more hunters in the woods to keep things moving i dont know we will see
I live to fish anytype but ice fishing is my passion

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #3 on: Nov 30, 2008, 05:19 AM »
its also an effort to get more deer
back in the area.the last couple of years
there has been a decline in the doe herd.
alot of buck but not to many doe.2 weeks
of straight doe hunting is to much.i think its
a good choice.

Offline juniatabassman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Dec 04, 2008, 11:25 AM »
it would probably piss alot of people off but i think they should go back to the three days of doe for a couple of years. I was out all week and didn't even see a deer and that is what i am hearing from alot of people.

Offline mluther

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 04, 2008, 12:31 PM »
I did not harvest a big one but I saw one. He just about jumped over my head like the commercial for Free Willy!!! All I saw was tail and antlers and he was gone in a flash. Heading back up on Satruday and I hope to see him again, this time with crosshairs on him!
The only does I saw were very very small so I passed on them. Several spikes and 4-6 points. I saw 25 deer over 2 days, better than the last 2 years but a whole lot worse than years gone by.

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Dec 04, 2008, 03:28 PM »
i saw three bucks shot one no girls though

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #7 on: Dec 04, 2008, 03:49 PM »
Only saw 1 doe that I couldn't get a shot at but have heard a few bucks locking horns every day
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline Preacher_man

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Have a Real CRAPPIE Day!!!!
« Reply #8 on: Dec 04, 2008, 04:26 PM »
 Harvested the biggest doe I've ever seen! Estimated at 194 lbs live weight! It was a cow!! I've never ever seen a doe that big!
TEAM  PA.

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #9 on: Dec 05, 2008, 05:09 AM »
ya the deer herd is really down.hunted 3
hard days and seen 4 doe.not very good.
and diddo on going back to the 3 days
of doe hunting.just keep the antler retrictions
in place.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Dec 06, 2008, 08:15 PM »
was laid up most of the week with a pinched nerve :'( i was gettin my stuf ready sun. nite bent over to pick something up & my whole spine shifted couldn't hardly stand up thought i was gonna have to call 911.completely missed 1st 2 days of season. figures took whole week of vac. got out 2 hrs.wed nite 3hrs thur & all day sat saw 4 deer total.i think they should close doe season for a few years. except open for junior hunters & seniors & only one deer limit. but thats my opinion.

Offline chilly feet

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • got bait?
« Reply #11 on: Dec 07, 2008, 02:35 PM »
i was out saturday morning and saw three buck
before seven.shot a real nice 8 point.sorry no pics
went right to the taxidermist.i have seen alot
more bucks than doe so far this year.

Offline capt.crappie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 07, 2008, 05:14 PM »
well congratulations chilly. with so few deer in this state to get a wall hanger is very lucky. the buck of a lifetime here in pa any how. as for mostly seeing buck who would think that could possable with all of the doe licenses given out the past few years. the sad part is in most parts of this state [ except for urban deer/development deer] the over all doe herd is all but extinct. meaning in a few more years there will be no deer left.or at least very few. we will go an entire season without seeing a single deer. thank god we will still be able to ice fish :tipup:

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #13 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:17 AM »
well congratulations chilly. with so few deer in this state to get a wall hanger is very lucky. the buck of a lifetime here in pa any how. as for mostly seeing buck who would think that could possable with all of the doe licenses given out the past few years. the sad part is in most parts of this state [ except for urban deer/development deer] the over all doe herd is all but extinct. meaning in a few more years there will be no deer left.or at least very few. we will go an entire season without seeing a single deer. thank god we will still be able to ice fish :tipup:

I disagree with this just about 100% i have seen more people get wall hangers the past 2 years then ever before, also i have had the chance the last two years to take about 10 wall hangers, Ever think that maybe its the way your hunting? and no its not because i hunt urban areas because i hunt "the big woods" as well The doe heard also is not even close to what you call extinct, The game commision is doing exactly what was much needed, the deer heard can repopulate itself faster than you guys realize. There are still plenty of deer around, maybe if people were to hunt more than just openeing day of rifle then people would realize this. Try archery hunting of even scouting before any seasons are in and they arnt under any pressure, The results will astonish you. I can go into the woods in 2F and see 20 some deer a evening before the season starts.  Also try changing your ways of hunting, there arnt nearly as many hunters in the woods anymore on the opening day of deer, so you may actually have to work a little bit to get a deer! The deer are there in the woods, it just takes about 5% luck and 95% skill to regularly harvest a couple. Maybe if you arnt seeing many  deer you should work on the later of the 2

Offline stormtrooper

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Dec 09, 2008, 09:52 AM »
amen. thanks for the antler restrictions.This year in 4b you couldn't shoot doe for the first week in rifle. Hunters were thin, probably because they could just shoot the first thing they saw. I see the little spikes and three points hanging in other peoples cabins and I know plenty of guys who because of family can't get out as much so they shoot the first little 5 point they see on the first day of archery every year and then complain that there is no nice  buck around. They are within the limits of the law and this is fine but, they will never shoot a real deer this way. Hunting in posted property w/ heavy cover on weekday mornings from Nov.1-15 is the ticket.Game lands are for people taking the gun for a walk. When deer are around houses and people you have to get creative. ;)

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 09, 2008, 11:09 AM »
Got to counter that one storm. I don't have access to private property in Pa. and when I am on the game lands it ain't for taking my gun for a walk. I manage a nice deer every year off of the game lands. You just gotta know how to hunt period  ;)
Most private property becomes a wildlife refuge during hunting seasons and if you can't score there you ain't gonna score anywhere. Hunt big woods and pull out a trophy and your a hunter  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline jayswimmer09

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • flag!!! dont u love that word?
« Reply #16 on: Dec 09, 2008, 01:05 PM »
Got to counter that one storm. I don't have access to private property in Pa. and when I am on the game lands it ain't for taking my gun for a walk. I manage a nice deer every year off of the game lands. You just gotta know how to hunt period  ;)
Most private property becomes a wildlife refuge during hunting seasons and if you can't score there you ain't gonna score anywhere. Hunt big woods and pull out a trophy and your a hunter  :)
theres somone i agree with!, and congrats on 1000 post by the way

Offline holehawg

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:29 PM »
ditto...i too have started hunting state land and its alot different than the Private land...just hunted 8 days seen 3 bucks ..too small ..3 point rule...and 2 does...i rode out to my old club and the  20 some deer were feeding in the field at 3;00 like it was july..stateland 95% of the time takes a good hunter to constantly kill bucks...plus a heck of a set of legs as i'm finding out... :flex: ;)2 :whistle: :whistle: :whistle:

Offline scavengerj

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Warm hands, warm feet and tight lines!
« Reply #18 on: Dec 09, 2008, 03:32 PM »
Thanks jay for bringing that to my attention! Didn't even notice  :)
DMS #525
AMSA #1102
OBPA
RFA #1053456E

Offline Ski Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gut eyes? =)
« Reply #19 on: Dec 09, 2008, 04:24 PM »
I've only been hunting private land this year and haven't seen a thing. Tons of prints but nothing during legal hunting hours. Twice now I've spooked deer off just walking to my stand in the dark. The one advantage to public land is one of the things I hate. With guys moving so are the deer, but there are also some guys who will shoot at anything that causes a little movement and that scares the hell outta me on public land. Just how many guys are out there who shouldn't have a weapon in their hands. I don't mean felons but people who never took safety courses since the shop who sold them their license never verified if they did, guys who will shoot at running deer without seeing/ giving a cr*p if its running in front of someone, ect
Proud to be Pro Staff!!!    Gut cookies?

Walleye count for 2015    21 landed up to 25"

Offline iceaddiction

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Dec 09, 2008, 08:24 PM »
i have to agree 100% with jayswimmer i see alot of deer many in archery season ive been killing nice buck too 120 class my deer season never ends next week i will begin scouting for next year i see alot of deer that way too this year was tough the food wasnt everywhere in the woods made me find other food sources where i also found deer.  i wish the people saying they are going to quit hunting would just do it.  i will still hunt it is hunting anyway not seeing and killing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.