The ice fishing PA boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Will it help / can you?  (Read 4340 times)

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Will it help / can you?
« on: Feb 17, 2005, 06:03 PM »
The cold snap that is, or can you point me in the right direction. It's going to get fairly cold(low 20's) the next couple nights, but will it help?
My local lakes are pretty much shot. Sure, I can still get on the spots where the bite was hot a month ago, but those spots got cold. And my new hot spots are unsafe, at least for me. I'd really like to get on the ice this weekend, and might end up fishing the comunity spots, if need be ???.

I'm thinking of trying a new lake, but not sure which one. Care to help ;D??
Criteria would be within two or so hours of Harrisburg, safe ice including the shoreline, and the possibility of catching perch or trout or gills or eyes or pike or picks or carp or shiners or.................... ........... ::)

Feel free to PM if you prefer, and rest assured that I'm way past the point of keeping anything I catch, unless it's a 4.4lb or larger perch. Got to show those NJ folks we got what it takes ;D ;D
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Will it help / can you?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 17, 2005, 07:11 PM »
You PA guys get to ice fish longer than us jersey boys, well at least most of you. I'll be intruding into your state once all the ice around here melts(another week or two at least hopefully). Byron Come over to Jersey and I'll show you some ice and how to catch some fish.  ;D I like to fish for trout through the ice in PA, but all your southern PA lakes probably aren't fishable anymore.(Luxembourg,Levittown,Leaser) I'll possibly hit up Hidden Lake next weekend after the stocking. Was thinking about Minsi but read the post about the unsafe ice. I hope Hidden Lake even holds up.

Offline nightfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2005, 08:05 PM »
Byron, I know Harveys had 12in of ice over the weekend, some browns and perch caught.
Ice over allentown way shot as well.
Jim K.

Offline Dizzy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2005, 07:03 AM »
Although probably on the "fringe" of 2-hrs from H'burg... I'm pretty sure the Pocono lakes have good ice. Here's the number & link for the local bait shop in Stroudsburg. They'll be able to give you the low-down on Hidden Lake, Minisink, Pecks Pond, Promised Land, etc.

Dunkleberger's, Stroudsburg, PA: (570) 421-7950

http://www.dunkelbergers.com

Offline Bean

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2005, 01:56 PM »
Byron, run up to Tuscorara or Locust Lake. I fished Tuscorara today and it had about 7.5 inches on it. We drove over to Locust and it was all iced up also with 3 guys fishing it. There was only about 2 feet of marginal ice right at the ramp at Tuscorara. I just made a big step to get onto the good ice. 
Ken                                          

Offline Byron/PA

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Mar 09, 2005, 06:25 PM »
Ok, so sometimes I'm not very good with thankyous :-[ :-[

And I know it's been a month since I posted this, but I must thank those that helped me. With a special thanks to Skeeter, for the private info. Really didn't think we'd still have safe ice this far along  8) 8)
80% of Americans are unhappy with the direction our once great Country is heading. Yet 80% of Americans insist on buying blue jeans that were made in China, coffee filters that were made in Taiwan and anything else that was made anywhere but here........wonder if there might be a connection?

Offline Pike Popper

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Mar 10, 2005, 07:20 AM »
I was hoping for ice for at least two more weeks and I got better than that. Ice is still holding strong at 8 inches or more at some of the lakes I fish in Jersey. ;D Ice was thicker in Jersey than it was at the lake I was fishing one of the days over the weekend in Monroe County. (Maybe 5 inches)

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.