Author Topic: Soft Plastics in Trout, lots of them  (Read 1334 times)

Offline YOAdrien

• Team IceShanty Addict
Soft Plastics in Trout, lots of them
« on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:50 PM »
Almost every trip out this year that i have had fish to clean for clients there are senko worms in their bellies.

It is getting rediculous the amount of fish with these in them.

I wish more people would switch to gulp because these fish often are skinny and aren't digesting food well they look in bad shape and i don't think they will make it much longer, although i have no hard evidence of what happens to them.

Makes me sad to see it, i have seen so many i now have a feel for it, i can run my finger gently along a laker or rainbow trouts belly and feel these senkos and other worms in there, they get really hard after a while being in there. I see mostly senkos but a few others as well. The new techniques of wacky rigging and drop shotting seem to result in losing a lot more soft plastics in the lake and they are getting picked up by trout and others.

I don't know which models are biodegradable or digestable except for gulp but it's a bad scene from what i see.
PROUD SPONSOR OF ICESHANTY.COM

Offline Wild Turk

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Soft Plastics in Trout, lots of them
« Reply #1 on: Feb 19, 2010, 06:58 PM »
Bass fisherman use plastic=If you can catch all the bass in the lake they will be no rubber worms to dunk.

Offline thefinlessbrown2

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • fulfilling dreams in good company
« Reply #2 on: Feb 20, 2010, 09:51 AM »
i agree with you adrien it is a big problem !!!
      the percentage of cold water species that have ingested them is way too high .and does impact the health of the victom fish..something needs to be done about it ..
if the bass fisherman can not properly dispose of them then maybe they need to be banned. if they are not biodegradable ..if you throw anything else in the water that is not biodegradable its considered a pollutant and eco system hazard and reality is that senco's are no different and have shown to be a health issue to some species including bass i would immagine....if the trout are not digesting them then i don't think bass would either..just an oppinion
                                  FINLESS

Offline pirkaus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Is it safe? You go first.
« Reply #3 on: Feb 20, 2010, 03:36 PM »
Once again because of a product not being engineered all the way to the grave, we have another situation like lead sinkers.   I am guilty of losing a few plastics myself, and I would venture a guess that most fishermen are.   Once again a product will have to meet it's demise, because of it's success.   
I wonder if anyone is studying this, or even if they are aware of the potential problem?   I would be fairly certain that this is not a local problem, and may effect just about every body of water where people fish.
The next question is what do we as anglers and stewards of the environment do about it?
Pirk
It's hard for us turkeys to work.....                                    while dodging S#!* from soaring eagles

Offline icubist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Feb 21, 2010, 07:19 PM »
 A friend of mine posted this on another site last year, he's smaht so I just copied it.
 I hope it helps, I wouldn't eat any fish that had plastic in it long enough to look sick.
Also I have cleaned many trout that had several cigarette filters in them, they had a smoked flavor.  ;D
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
L. L. Bean discontinued sale of non-biodegradable plastic lure as of Aug. 2009

Fishing
Soft plastic lures harm Maine fish
Study: Trout, salmon affected

By John Boland

PHOTO COURTESY OF DIF&WA study conducted at Unity College by Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife pathologist Dr. Russ Danner, Unity College professor Jim Chacko and DIF&W fisheries biologist Francis Brautigam found that 65 percent of brook trout voluntarily consumed soft plastic lures if they simply were dropped into water.
As open-water fishing season gets under way, the Maine Department of Inland Fisheries and Wildlife is strongly encouraging anglers to protect Maine’s fish by changing from soft plastic lures to biodegradable ones.

DIF&W fisheries biologists are reporting increasing numbers of angled trout and salmon with indigestible soft plastic lures in their stomachs. A discarded soft plastic lure consumed innocently by a brook trout from the bottom of a freshwater shoal likely remains in that fish’s stomach for the rest of its life and may cause health issues such as ulcers and weight loss.

Soft plastic lures are most commonly used by bass anglers, often in waters shared with trout and salmon.

DIF&W is cooperating in studies on the effects of soft plastic lure ingestion by trout and salmon, including one recent experiment at Unity College, which was conducted by DIF&W pathologist Dr. Russ Danner, Unity College professor Jim Chacko and DIF&W fisheries biologist Francis Brautigam, and in another study currently under way at Southern Maine Community College.

The study conducted at Unity College found that 65 percent of brook trout voluntarily consumed soft plastic lures if they simply were dropped into water.

“We found that fish retained the lures in their stomachs for 13 weeks without regurgitating them,” according to Dr. Danner. “They also began to act anorexic and lost weight within 90 days of eating a soft plastic lure.”

Without regard to the chemical toxicity of ingested soft plastics, the fact that these lures are occupying space in a trout’s stomach limits the amount of space available for natural food. There is a lot of veterinary medical evidence that foreign bodies in the digestive tract cause ulcers, weight loss and anorexia.

“We strongly encourage anglers to voluntarily purchase biodegradable and food-based lures rather than soft plastic ones,” Dr. Danner said. “Also, we are asking anglers not to discard plastic lures into any waters, and also to attempt to retrieve any soft plastic lures that have become unhooked.”

For millennia, trout and salmon have foraged the waters of Maine for nutritious natural forage such as small fish, insects and other invertebrates. In the last 20 years, food mimics made of soft plastic have begun to compete with these nutritious natural forage items. The effects of soft plastic lure pollution on freshwater ecosystems are not well understood yet, but it is unlikely that eating soft plastic lures will be found to be a good thing.

“The wide assortment of soft plastic fishing lures is staggering,” Dr. Danner said. “Soft plastic lures come in every color, a myriad of sizes, and resembling every swimming, crawling and flying creature a fish could imagine eating. Large fish searching the waters of Maine are bound to come upon brightly colored soft plastic lures lost or discarded by anglers and consume these imitators of natural food items.”

There are estimates that as much as 20 million pounds of soft plastic are being lost in freshwater lakes and streams annually in the U.S. The average life expectancy for these soft plastic lures is more than 200 years.

“We need all anglers to do their part to protect Maine’s valuable fisheries from this serious threat,” Dr. Danner said. “Natural lure alternatives are available at many retailers and online and should become the choice of people who love to fish Maine’s waters.”

To learn more about the experiment conducted at Unity College a report on the project was published in the Northern American Journal of Fisheries Management. It is available at afs.allenpress.com/perlserv/

Don't be an ass, pick up your trash!

Offline chadroc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 22, 2010, 12:06 AM »
thats amazing.  i thought it was a total one time fluke when i was helping an angler last winter with a 12" trout.  i had forceps and unhooked his fish and as i did so i saw what i thought was roe in her gullet......i grabbed it and out popped at least a 6" senko. 
if the trout are lost, smash the state.

Offline Fishsavage

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • The phrase "Last cast" means "Not leaving"
« Reply #6 on: Feb 22, 2010, 07:47 AM »
Nice post, I was thinking about all the plastics that are lying on the bottom of lakes out there.  My opinion should phase out plastics that are not biodegradable.  As the fishing crowd gets larger, we need to adapt to preserve the fishery.  Not everyone is going to like it, but I believe it would bethe right thing to do

Offline icubist

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 22, 2010, 08:05 AM »
 I think part of the problem is most trout are stocked and raised in a hatchery and fed every so often to get them big enough to release, then they are dumped into some new water left to fend for themselves and the only way they can tell if something is edible is to put it into their mouths, and like a salty french fry, its down the gullet.
 There are several companies making either biodegradable or baits made from real fish but except for Berkley they are small companies at this time.
 In the meantime we all should try not to let those used plastics end up in the water, I superglue my senko's to the hook most of the time but as you know sometimes they take all but the hook and who knows what is going to eat that?
 If we all don't buy these plastics ' ya right' companies will give us what we want.
Don't be an ass, pick up your trash!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.