The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: the crystal lake derby is a mad house!  (Read 7011 times)

Offline mebwhuntah

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: the crystal lake derby is a mad house!
« Reply #60 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:39 PM »
Had a really good time today worst part of the day i thought was wading through 4inches of slush that made getting around pretty rough..All in all it was a fun day no fish but great cause and anytime on the ice is an enjoyable experience.. :tipup: :tipup:

Offline droopy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #61 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:44 PM »
I had a guy try and tell me i was to close to the back of his shack since he was out here last night claiming his territory. He puffed up his chest trying to get me to move on but it wasn't happening, told him to look around and relax. afterwards a couple came up and said they were suprised that I didn't lay him out, wasn't the time or place but I sure wanted to ;D he was calm about it the rest of the day

Offline old boat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #62 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:46 PM »
Had a great time.

Offline maineduckhunter

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Stop Bucket Biologist and Kill ALL Maine Pike!!!
« Reply #63 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:49 PM »
i remember the quite little fishing hole in the winter when at times you would be the only one out there. reason we put our shack out there so many years, now its just rediculous.  gonna find a new place for the shack when I come back to Maine..
Yeah Megunticook Lake!!  :woot:

Offline TinyTim

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #64 on: Jan 29, 2011, 06:52 PM »
Yeah Megunticook Lake!!  :woot:
Guess he told you!  :flex: :roflmao:

Offline Fish Sticks

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #65 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:01 PM »
What if you had to take a leak?

Offline troutlover

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Team Maine
« Reply #66 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:23 PM »

you stood in line at the 5 portable toilets for 15-20 mins  :o

Offline vwsport91

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 29, 2011, 07:49 PM »
i showed up at 430 to find ice traps 4 feet away from every side of my shack.

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #68 on: Jan 29, 2011, 08:12 PM »
i showed up at 430 to find ice traps 4 feet away from every side of my shack.

Guess you weren't there early enough.  :whistle:

Offline ICEMAINEiac

• Iceshanty Sponsor
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #69 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:26 AM »
Guess you weren't there early enough.  :whistle:

:woot:

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #70 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:57 AM »
you stood in line at the 5 portable toilets for 15-20 mins  :o

That would have to be my BIGGEST complaint about this derby 5 portables for 5,000 people :o
I  was in line 3 times throughout the day, and always had to wait AT LEAST 15 minutes....as an adult I was able to hold it, BUT
I heard sooo many kids saying, they couldn't hold it !  Now to me, for an event this large needs to have more bathrooms  or otherwise
we just might see more then our iceholes on the ice!  ;)2

Other than that, wasn't my kind of fishing style, but I didn't expect it to be. :-\ I was there to support the cause :thumbsup:
And while there I had the chance to meet some IceShanty members.....A big thanks to trout75 for letting me set up with him! :icefish:
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline kezarking

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #71 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:14 AM »

unzip and let it go. n hope no one turns around

Offline McIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a Kid FISHING!
« Reply #72 on: Jan 30, 2011, 08:24 AM »
this was not a derby for the serious fisherman...this was a winter festival for proud americans who showed up in a HUGE way to show support for Maine's service men and women and their families. to go as smoothly as it did  for the amount of people that weere here is amazing and shows that the organizers of this event were on top of it. parking was the biggest problem and i would find it hard to beleive they didnt learn a little something about that   ::)   i didnt fish i volunteered and had the most fun ive ever had at a derby! started my morning off passing out free bait ( Dags Bait you guys ROCK!) to all the kids who needed it. they gave me a stack of bait scoops to hand out ,so it was fun to watch the kids scoop their own bait out and help some set their traps. great way to meet so many great people.

Also had the Honor of being one of the judges for the patriotic shanty contest which was also a lot of fun. some really great ones that obviously had a lot of time ,thought ,and good ol' American pride put into them. Ill post some pics of that later.

yeah it was a madhouse...but there was a lot of fun to be had if you wanted.

This was definitely more of a winter carnival than ice fishing derby....., but what an awesome way to get my 6 year old daughter out on the ice. We spent all day together and she had a blast. From playing with the worms, to setting up her trap, then popping up the portable shack, warming up next to the Mr. Heater, daddy reading her "Barbie, Island Princess" book, walking to the event center for lunch, and her JAMMIN to the live band was my favorite! It was too funny to watch her waving her mini American Flag and head banging at the same time... A great event and only 5 bucks to support a great cause.... are you kidding me! I'd have no problem if the "donation" were double that....
Great job by all who made this happen!  :clap: :thumbsup: :clap:
I wasn't running the net!                  :icefish:

Offline dvn4flags

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #73 on: Jan 30, 2011, 12:40 PM »
Fished the kids area with my boys.  We only had 1 flag but they had a great time hanging out with dad and taking in the carnival like atmosphere (jets and helicopters buzzing around and plenty of other kids around to play with.  I thought the derby was well run, hopefully they will make a few changes for next year like more portapotties and not plowing the snow into the middle of the weigh in area  :o  We also won a few of the raffles which was cool, a $50 llbean card and autographed bruins gear. 

Offline tbtool

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Fishing- what i live and die for
« Reply #74 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:25 PM »
How much did the first place fish weigh?

Offline icewoman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #75 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:28 PM »
How much did the first place fish weigh?

5 something
QUIT WISHIN AND LETS GO FISHIN !!!

Offline seaice

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #76 on: Jan 30, 2011, 01:38 PM »
Fished the derby and had a great time with family and kids. It was great idea to have the holes pre drilled in the kids sections - enabled us to get set up really quickly. No flags for the day, but it was worth it. Everyone was really nice and friendly - the kind of fishing you want your kids to be exposed to.

I read all the post agree that next year three things they should address 1.traffic control/parking and 2. bathrooms. But these actually weren't all that bad for the amount of people that showed.

I would hope that the organizers continue to section off a kids area and keep it to 1 trap, but next year restrict snowmobiles, ATVs and cars from this area. There was absolutely no need for them in this area. The snowmobiles inparticular were way to loud and frankly dangerous with all the kids in this tightly packed area.  I saw several near miss snowmobile accidents where kids who had no idea a snowmobile was weaving through traps behind them.

Offline TheCommander

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #77 on: Jan 30, 2011, 02:05 PM »
I know a lot of people are complaining but you can't make everyone happy. As for me and my daughter and group of friends we only caught one yellow perch but still had a good day. My only complaint would be more portapotties that was a bit to much to have to sit in line. That's all I have to say about that in all we had a terrific  time and to see all those traps in the water was amazing I'm surpized the whole lake didn't cave in with all the holes. ;D ;D

Offline #1bassfisher

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • My Son Sportskid and daughter lil bit
« Reply #78 on: Jan 30, 2011, 04:54 PM »
Thanks and your welcome.  That's my Clam Sleeper, it opens up to 8' x 10'

While it might have looked like a zoo and yes we did have people drill right in front of us, it wasn't all that bad. We all have to take a deep breath and remember it's for a good cause.

ya ok  ??? ;D
Smart member of the durham boys new ringleader

Offline Bowdoin Boy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:14 PM »
ya ok  ??? ;D
SO?????????????? DID HE FALL IN A HOLE??????????????

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #80 on: Jan 30, 2011, 05:45 PM »
SO?????????????? DID HE FALL IN A HOLE??????????????
No I didn't, my other members of our group came real real close.
Sportskid found this hole, luckily dad was able to grab him before going all the way down face first into the water.

and Gearjammer stepped in a hole and somehow manage to land as he went down on a dry spot surround by water.

I stayed high and dry and have a winning fish on the board for most of the day. Got beat by a fish weighing 1.8 oz more then mine.

Offline Fishingfool_2

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #81 on: Jan 30, 2011, 07:03 PM »
That would have to be my BIGGEST complaint about this derby 5 portables for 5,000 people :o

There was some talk of getting portables out on the ice but there were concerns about the possiblibility of a chemical spill.  Plus, the slush would have caused real transportation problems.  Maybe next year. 

Thought you might like this though  -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0rrLdWLu_0&feature=player_embedded%20
Herb

:icefish:

Offline McIce

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a Kid FISHING!
« Reply #82 on: Jan 30, 2011, 09:10 PM »
There was some talk of getting portables out on the ice but there were concerns about the possiblibility of a chemical spill.  Plus, the slush would have caused real transportation problems.  Maybe next year. 

Thought you might like this though  -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m0rrLdWLu_0&feature=player_embedded%20

That just made my night! Very funny pee pee dance rendition! It was just like at the derby!
I wasn't running the net!                  :icefish:

Offline fishing4fun

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #83 on: Feb 01, 2011, 06:36 AM »
My fiance and I went to this derby for the first and last time this year.  I would have to agree with many of the other posts in regards to the insufficient number of port a potty's, and parking.  All day long we had snowmobiles, four wheelers, and trucks driving past us spewing exhaust into our faces.  We both left with sore throats and headaches.  Limiting the number of vehicles on the ice and limiting the number of traps might be a good change for next year.  We both saw a couple of occasions where people had their snowmobiles confiscated because they were speeding through areas where there were many young children.  It was extremely dangerous for small children.  I know it's a good cause, but this year's tournament was enough to make me never want to go again.

Offline Chub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #84 on: Feb 01, 2011, 07:09 AM »
My fiance and I went to this derby for the first and last time this year.  I would have to agree with many of the other posts in regards to the insufficient number of port a potty's, and parking.  All day long we had snowmobiles, four wheelers, and trucks driving past us spewing exhaust into our faces.  We both left with sore throats and headaches.  Limiting the number of vehicles on the ice and limiting the number of traps might be a good change for next year.  We both saw a couple of occasions where people had their snowmobiles confiscated because they were speeding through areas where there were many young children.  It was extremely dangerous for small children.  I know it's a good cause, but this year's tournament was enough to make me never want to go again.

Everyone I met at the derby was positive and polite.  I have to agree with you on the vehicles, though.  Unfortunately, the derby organizers cannot fix a lack of common sense.  Walking in an out, I was dragging a jet sled and constantly pulling my five and three year olds close to me because someone was driving way to close and too fast.  The riders were often kids themselves.  None wearing helmets either.

While I'm at it can we send out a public service announcement stating that it is not necessary to constantly rev you snowmobile in order to keep it running?

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.