The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: the crystal lake derby is a mad house!  (Read 7012 times)

Offline jimbubba3

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • May this be the year I don't get skunked!
Re: the crystal lake derby is a mad house!
« Reply #30 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:39 PM »
The thing that bothered us the most was when people had no idea who's traps were theirs. By the looks of it a bunch of people got there around three or four,drilled their holes and just stuck their unbaited traps in the holes and wandered off until 6. We had more people eyeing our traps all day long because they didn't have any clue where they set theirs. And if someone drills a hole put a trap in it or mark it. Saw multiple people fall in holes because of a careless party of fishermen down the lake from us. Those were my only complaints.

Offline jimbubba3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:42 PM »
I've got a nice picture of the winning fish,not sure how to post it on here. Any help would be appreciated.

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #32 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:43 PM »
I've got a nice picture of the winning fish,not sure how to post it on here. Any help would be appreciated.

if youd like to email it to [email protected] and i will post it for you...then we will work on getting you up to snuff on posting pics if youd like

Offline jimbubba3

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:48 PM »
Just sent the pic to you billditrite.

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Jan 29, 2011, 02:57 PM »
Instead of alot of you complaining lets thank and support our service members who have been fighting for us for years some of us have lost friends and family members i bought a ticket but didnt go all in support lets turn this into a positive please

Offline herbc69

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:01 PM »
And by the looks of it with the cold weather next week all that slush should be solid :thumbsup:

Offline smeltshack

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • You tell em im coming and my vex is coming with me
« Reply #36 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:19 PM »
Brother said it was very crazy out there and the fish were NOT biting. They didnt get a flag all day! The only thing they got was a couple pucks from the Mainiacs and an autograph by #77. Overall they were pretty happy even though the fish were not cooperating. I guess the moral of the story is that if you wanted a parking spot you needed to get there at 4:00am :) 
Glad to see so many people got out and supported the cause!

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #37 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:25 PM »
I just got back. I got there off the exit at 6 00 and had only a 20 minute wait from Hannafords (crawling in traffic).  The sign said parking full so I gave it a shot anyways there was 12 more empty spaces in the lot. I got lucky. Didn't have a flag all day but had a great time with my kids and their friends. Cooked breakfast and lunch enjoyed a beautiful day to be out fishing. Thought it was a bit over crowed but everyone is out there for the same reasons. I saw no problems, people were very friendly and seemed to be enjoying themselves. As I see it, it was a huge success and ran very smoothly. Maybe a louder PA system might help, I had a hard time hearing anything that was said. The winning trout was a fatty to say the least.. I got to meet Fishon Fishoff and enjoyed a short chat with him. First time I have met a shanty member out fishing. So to me it was a great day. THANKS TO ALL who serve for this country and thanks to all the volunteers who put their hard work and valuable time into this event. GREAT JOB!!! ;D ;D   Ed Auman aka  Blackduckin..
What if the "Hokey Pokey" is really what its all about??

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #38 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:29 PM »
I'm sure there are frustrating points to every derby you go to, however remember this is for a good cause. Sorry your frustrated with it but just think of all the people who will benefit from it (even though there may be a few glitches within the derby). Just my 2 cents.
X2...Little sacrifice for a good cause should be a honor,,,just like the cause,they paid the ultimate sacrice,their lives...Don't seem to bad now Huh...

Offline magoo42

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #39 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:38 PM »
I will be glad to make a donation next year, but you won't see em anywhere near that again. Got my 10 year old up at 4:30 thinking we'd be good. Silly me. At 5:30, the traffic was backed up into the 26a BYPASS. Sat in that for a while then turned around and went to Sebago. Great cause, but too much for a small pond like that. Hope all that made it had fun and god bless our troops. Magoo

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #40 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:41 PM »
Lloyd,  Nice to meet you out there today ;D   Blackduckin

Offline fishinswede

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:51 PM »
Just getting back, and had a great time!!!  Everyone was super friendly, even fishing tight quarters didn't see any disagreements.  Was a crazy site to see that many traps in that small of an area though, holy s***.  I even got lucky and caught 2 of the tagged trout....

Great time, thanks to all who made it happen!!!

Offline Chub

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Jan 29, 2011, 03:53 PM »
I don't think that anyone on this board does not recognize and greatly appreciate the sacrifice of our soldiers.  I can't think of a better cause.  I met wonderful people and had a great time.  

But in order for this derby to continue to be successful long term, they have to learn from this year.  If it becomes a hassle for the police and locals, it jeopardizes its own future.  

That being said, maybe I should put my money where my mouth is and help organize next year.

Hope you all had good luck!

Offline allextremesfishing

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:06 PM »
we called my aunts bf at noon and he said he was there 15 mins before 6 and the only open spot on the lake was dead middle.
FLAG!!!!!!!!! 's are all down

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #44 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:07 PM »
Lloyd,  Nice to meet you out there today ;D   Blackduckin
was nice to meet you to sir...Wish  i could of chatted longer with you...Was you there when the tide was coming in ;D?..

Offline blackduckin

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Beau dogg!
« Reply #45 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:11 PM »
was nice to meet you to sir...Wish  i could of chatted longer with you...Was you there when the tide was coming in ;D?..

No what did I miss? Did the ice sink?  hahaha  It was getting a little sloopy over on the main drag..  @)

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #46 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:23 PM »
No what did I miss? Did the ice sink?  hahaha  It was getting a little sloopy over on the main drag..  @)
Well if the wardens didnt get on the mic and ask every to slowly but NOW move back I truly beleive there would of been 1000 or more people involved in the polar dip ;D

Offline fishon--fishoff

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • catchem when you can
« Reply #47 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:24 PM »

Offline billditrite

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • R.I.P. Bobberstop 6-14-1944 ~ 7-21-2010
« Reply #48 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:26 PM »
thats the angle we needed lloyd...that thing is sooooo fat!!!  :woot:

Offline Gorilla

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #49 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:27 PM »
My buddy lives two minutes from Crystal..   we come up for a weekend of icefishing each year, and he swears there are no fish in there!   That first place fish seems to disagree!  

Do Not underestimate the staggering drawing power of the Garden State

Offline Fish_Seeker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #50 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:39 PM »
My buddy lives two minutes from Crystal..   we come up for a weekend of icefishing each year, and he swears there are no fish in there!   That first place fish seems to disagree!  

They just put it in their yesterday.

Offline antlerdawg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #51 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:42 PM »
this was not a derby for the serious fisherman...this was a winter festival for proud americans who showed up in a HUGE way to show support for Maine's service men and women and their families. to go as smoothly as it did  for the amount of people that weere here is amazing and shows that the organizers of this event were on top of it. parking was the biggest problem and i would find it hard to beleive they didnt learn a little something about that   ::)   i didnt fish i volunteered and had the most fun ive ever had at a derby! started my morning off passing out free bait ( Dags Bait you guys ROCK!) to all the kids who needed it. they gave me a stack of bait scoops to hand out ,so it was fun to watch the kids scoop their own bait out and help some set their traps. great way to meet so many great people.

Also had the Honor of being one of the judges for the patriotic shanty contest which was also a lot of fun. some really great ones that obviously had a lot of time ,thought ,and good ol' American pride put into them. Ill post some pics of that later.

yeah it was a madhouse...but there was a lot of fun to be had if you wanted.

Well Said!  My wife, kids, and Ruger enjoyed ourselves very much today. It was nice meeting some fellow shanty members and helping out direct the traffic.  My daughter also had the pleasure of meeting the Governor and having her picture taken with him, she's 7.  It was cool seeing Ray Bourque too.
God Bless our Troops!!!  

Offline TOMMYPOINT

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Take a kid fishing
« Reply #52 on: Jan 29, 2011, 04:48 PM »
it looks like another great derby! I heard the parking was tight but it always is. Thankyou to our troops ! You guys make it all possible!

Offline mainedukblaster

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • THE CAMP!!
« Reply #53 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:12 PM »
i would crap a ton if I pulled that fish out of there if there was no special derby stocking!  LOL  awesome fish! ;D

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #54 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:18 PM »
We got their around 3:45 and had no problem finding a parking spot. Couldn't get to the area we want to fish, but found a good spot about half way down the lake. It was high an dry and surround by slush :woot:, so that is where we stopped. Oh yea, as you can see it didn't take long to fill in with people. Here are a few pictures.

Offline ChrisMinMaine

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #55 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:25 PM »

IMG_8493 by chrisminmaine, on Flickr

Good times if you like that sort of thing. 

I arrived early - no parking problems.  Could not find a place to fish.  Finally headed out into the middle of the lake on the other end and spend the morning in the slush.  Wife and kids showed up late morning and we fished in the kiddie area -- one trap for each of the two girls. 

Like others have mentioned -- this is most definately not a fisherman's derby.  I am in the Military and have used USO services so I support the cause, but I will not be down there next year.  Will maybe buy a ticket, though.  My wife did have to walk over a mile (she had to park on the road by the time they got there mid-morning.

No flags -- the kids area seemed just as dead as the main lake.  No complaints.  But I learned alot about the derby today.

Offline Hoppes

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • 2021 Hardwater - Another Maine Super Season
« Reply #56 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:25 PM »
Holy drill next to the other guy!  Can't wait for the posts about how close someone got to my trap!   ;D  I actually believe I spotted a flag in one of those photos!  Like the wheeler with what looks to be a king sized ice shack on a very nice sled.  Thanks for posting these pictures Coach.  Can't imagine the amount of effort that went into this derby!  Guys and gals have done the American soldier right!  God bless.....
Hoppes
Hunting and fishing!  God's gift to mankind
Strike master 40 V Electric
Otter Insulated
2019 Ski Doo Expedition
Jack Traps

Offline puddlefish

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #57 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:31 PM »
I fished with a crew of 8 today, we found some shoreline but it was tight as expected with that many people out there, our neighbors were friendly!

I parked in the trailer parking across the road from the pond there was space at 4:30am but it was full by the time we were unloaded. Great event, like most Derby's the closing ceremonies are just very hard with that many people/ machines in one spot all with different agendas.  I think they did a great job considering what they had to work with for real estate.  Can't make the pond any bigger, just louder speakers next year.  Thanks to the guys that volunteered in the organizing and helping out.  

Maybe go down to just 2 traps next year for the derby??  How did the kids area work out for those that fished in that area???

Offline C.Tripp

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #58 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:40 PM »
was not that bad out there today,all but a small glich with tiny and the fishing hole.

Offline Coach

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #59 on: Jan 29, 2011, 05:47 PM »
Holy drill next to the other guy!  Can't wait for the posts about how close someone got to my trap!   ;D  I actually believe I spotted a flag in one of those photos!  Like the wheeler with what looks to be a king sized ice shack on a very nice sled.  Thanks for posting these pictures Coach.  Can't imagine the amount of effort that went into this derby!  Guys and gals have done the American soldier right!  God bless.....
Hoppes
Thanks and your welcome.  That's my Clam Sleeper, it opens up to 8' x 10'

While it might have looked like a zoo and yes we did have people drill right in front of us, it wasn't all that bad. We all have to take a deep breath and remember it's for a good cause.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.