Author Topic: Eating bluegills vs. pumpkinseeds  (Read 20306 times)

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
Eating bluegills vs. pumpkinseeds
« on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:46 AM »
 Saw some chat regarding eating bluegills. I agree with all comments that they are great tablefare. However, I also feel that if you're fortunate enough to have a honeyhole where you can pick up some sunfish (pumpkinseeds) in the 6 to 7 inch class (pretty tough here in the Buffalo NY area, but I've got one), I think you'll find them an even milder or "sweeter" fish. I have especially found this to be true in the summer / warm water months when the bluegills around here tend to get a taste that is best described as "muddy". This may be in part due to the fact that the primary locations around Western New York for summer gills is in the numerous creeks that flow into Lakes Erie and Ontario. These tend to have very slow moving water in the summer months. Regional inland lakes offer better tasting gills, but they're tough to find in any numbers after the spring spawn.
Anyway... Sunnies trump Gills in the skillet for me.
 Also, as I stated, big sunnies are scarce up here in NY (as are big gills). Are big sunnies as prevelant as those HONKER bluegills I see in magazines and on TV in the southern states? I'd consider a weekend trip to tie into a mess o' these!
"Defeat the fear of death and welcome the death of fear.”
 G. Gordon Liddy

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • keep searchin' 'till ya find 'em.
Re: Eating bluegills vs. pumpkinseeds
« Reply #1 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:10 AM »
i know of a few lakes and ponds here in eastern NY that are full of 6 to 8 inch pumpkinseeds...they are more common than bluegills in alot of places around here.

camo_fish

« Reply #2 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:21 AM »
I got my biggest bluegill in VA, it was a hugh 1.3 lb bluegill, caught in a special restricted lake with all standing timber, which also has a strain of FL. LMB in it, some hugh gills and LMB come out of this lake every year.  ;D

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:36 AM »
i know of a few lakes and ponds here in eastern NY that are full of 6 to 8 inch pumpkinseeds...they are more common than bluegills in alot of places around here.

Please....Do tell...Do tell......
 G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Mar 08, 2005, 07:52 AM »
So do I...just gotta fish them! ::)

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Mar 08, 2005, 08:31 AM »

Please....Do tell...Do tell......

well saratoga and cossyuna have tons of nice pumpkinseeds, along with the sunnies, as for the ponds, shoot me a PM if you want some places to try

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Mar 08, 2005, 11:25 AM »
the fight differently though, bluegills swim in clockwise circles, while pumpkinseeds swim in counter clockwise ovals ::)

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #7 on: Mar 08, 2005, 03:13 PM »
the fight differently though, bluegills swim in clockwise circles, while pumpkinseeds swim in counter clockwise ovals ::)

I hope my $19 fishing license fee is not going to fund studies that result in this incredibly important information. Why would anyone want to know or need to know this?
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #8 on: Mar 08, 2005, 03:35 PM »
even though i was joking (hence the rolleye emoticon -  ::)), slipbob is right, with the aqua-vu, it would have been an obvious observation if it was true :o

Offline bigredonice

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Mar 08, 2005, 03:44 PM »
and lakers hit like crappies and dont fight :D (j/k TFB!!)

camo_fish

« Reply #10 on: Mar 08, 2005, 05:27 PM »
and lakers hit like crappies and dont fight :D (j/k TFB!!)
;) yea, right  :P Fish On!  :D

Offline Pasquatch

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:36 PM »
Damn, where's my spring bobber! :P

Offline fiesty

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Mar 08, 2005, 06:44 PM »
Agree, priceless...
It's all about Karma.....

Offline Van_Cleaver

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Mar 11, 2005, 11:33 AM »
I've got both in the fridge as they were frozen stiff last night, and after a long drive I didn't feel like facing the slashing steel. Didn't really notice much difference last time, however. The lake I was fishing (PA)has special regs for panfish, and the pumpkinseeds are abundant, and almost all are over 7'', which just happens to be the min. size limit. Hmmm............Perhap s other lakes would benifit from similar regs. The perch have to be over 9", and though I haven't located the motherlode, they also are getting large. Last night, only landed two; one 8'', and one over 12. Made my day. Good luck with your testing!

Offline rendo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Michigan
« Reply #14 on: Mar 11, 2005, 04:12 PM »
I,m interested in testing that theory for you just send a dozen each and I,ll eat them and tell you which is better>
willing to learn new tactics

bigspud

« Reply #15 on: Mar 25, 2005, 06:41 PM »
any preparation tips for 'gills and 'seeds as far as cleaning and cooking??? 8)

Offline fishryc

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #16 on: Mar 28, 2005, 09:36 AM »
any preparation tips for 'gills and 'seeds as far as cleaning and cooking??? 8)
Hey bigspud- welcome to The Shanty!
  I do 'em one of two ways. If they're nice slabbers, I fillet them, coat them (dip in flour, then eggs beaten w/splash of milk, then your favorite crumbs....I like crushed crackers, but others use seasoned or non seasoned breadcrumbs, cornmeal, hominy, etc.), then deepfry.
 For smaller fish, and I often do them all like this because I feel they taste the best this way, is to pan fry them. I scale them & leave skin on, gut them, and take off fins & head, then rinse. While wet, sprinkle them generously with salt and let them sit 20 minutes. Heat a skillet to medium / medium low (NOT TOO HOT!) filled with 1/8 inch deep melted margarine with a couple tablespoons of cooking oil added. Rinse off salt and GENEROUSLY sprinkle the fish with onion powder (NOT onion salt!) and a little salt. Fry very slowly (approx. 8 minutes or so each side) OR until the onion powder is brown and crispy and the meat is separating from the backbone leaving it starting to be exposed. Then you just peel the meat away from the skeleton (using the tines of a fork, working from back to belly, tail to head). The meat at the back portion of the fish will peel freely away from the bones cleanly, but the rib cage will mostly stay on this peeled off piece of fish. They are very easily plucked off in one cluster leaving you with a boneless, crispy, and delicious fillet.
 I often make an Asian style dipping sauce for these: 1/4 cup water, 1 tablespoon vinegar, 2 tablespoons sugar, and 1/4 cup fish sauce. Fish sauce can be bought in the Asian or Chinese dept. of any large supermarket (don't know where you're at; Tops or Wegmans in my area) or at any Asian specialty market. I like the brand with a squid on the bottle, others are pretty strong.
 Although it's a little bit of work, the pan fried / fish sauce method is by far my favorite way to enjoy any panfish such as crappie, sunnies, perch (plus, they don't have to be too big for this recipe, smaller perch at 6 to 8 inches are fantastic this way), etc. Using the fish sauce also is a must try!
 Also, if your introducing kids to (or taking kids) fishing, the panfry recipe in great because you can take the kids fishing and let them catch 'em,  keep 'em,  cook 'em, and eat 'em because you don't need to catch a bunch of lunkers, a few sunnies will do!
  :thumbsup:  Tightlines, Fishryc

G. Gordon Liddy

GEM_EYE_GUY

« Reply #17 on: Aug 26, 2005, 09:05 AM »
bluegills swim in clockwise circles, while pumpkinseeds swim in counter clockwise ovals ::)

Except south-of-the-equator, it's the other way around.  ???  :whistle:

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #18 on: Nov 20, 2005, 02:27 PM »
to my knowledge we don't have pumpkinseeds in CO (maybe on the east slope they have some, I don't know) but we have quite a few green sunfish in some fisheries. I think the green sunfish and bluegill taste the same personally. They fight differently though; the green sunfish are much stronger pound for pound than a bluegill and are also much more aggressive. I don't know about seeds but I just can't see them tasting different than a gill...maybe it is the fishery you catch em out of cuz the fishery and its food generally determines how a fish will taste.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline P.I.K.E.

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 37 inch pike
« Reply #19 on: Nov 21, 2005, 10:20 PM »
I could never taste the difference between the two.
Just waiting for the hardwater.

Offline Bigman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #20 on: Dec 14, 2005, 03:13 PM »
they are both good eaten. but most of the time i eat bluegill because i catch more of the .

Offline Reel Wet Ride

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ft. Myers, Florida!!! WHAT?
« Reply #21 on: Dec 14, 2005, 04:01 PM »
I've never noticed a real difference in taste. I do know that most of the time when I catch and clean sunfish or pumpkinseeds, they tend to have more grubs than the gills. So I'm a little put off by that. For you guys that think some of the fish taste muddy either from muddy/warm water or are caught during the spawn, just fillet them out, and wash them really, really well in cold water. Put them in the fridge for 1 day, then re-wash them really, really well. THis will not only firm up the fish but also get rid of 90% of the "muddy" taste. (skin off)
Falling through the ice means driving home naked!

Offline reelbigfish

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Just one more and we'll all go home. SE Mi.
« Reply #22 on: Dec 20, 2005, 09:44 PM »
  Put your skinless fillets in a bowl of water with a tablespoon or more of baking soda
and soak in the fridge overnight, rinse and cook em up.  This will eliminate most of the muddy fishy taste.  Salt helps or soaking in milk will also work.  No real difference
in taste between gills and sunfish although sunnies have thicker rib bones and less
meat.

Ted
Many men go fishing their entire lives without knowing it's not fish they are after.
Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.