Author Topic: crappie taxidermy  (Read 2784 times)

Offline waterfowler04

• IceShanty Rookie
crappie taxidermy
« on: Jan 31, 2015, 07:45 PM »
I'm looking for a good crappie taxidermy in Northwest illinois. I live in sterling.

Offline ice--cube

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: crappie taxidermy
« Reply #1 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:47 AM »
I have a guy that lives by me that specialized in fish. He did a great job on my uncle's crappie. I live by Rochelle. I'll look up his number.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 01, 2015, 07:50 AM »
Look up Douglas Taxidermy in Elburn Il. Simply the best. (630) 557-0158. Commissioned by the John G Shedd Aquarium for Fish Taxidermy and Mount restoration. Has done numerous world records and state records. Look to his list of clients. They are some of the who's who in the fishing world.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline captain54

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 01, 2015, 08:00 AM »
I live in Pa. I have a guy that won California's state title. He just does fish. He has taken out of state fish packed in dry ice. My son's 3 lb 17 inch ice crappie is getting done as I post. $ 10 an inch.

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 01, 2015, 01:55 PM »
Stay local and support our economy. Tom is my guy does a great job reasonable price. He's also a local police officer.
http://tomswildlifeartandtaxidermy.com/
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline CharlieBrn

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Feb 01, 2015, 04:04 PM »
Waterfowler,  Been doing completion mounts for over 30 years and even though I no longer live in the Midwest but in Alaska now, I can certainly give you some tips in preserving that crappie until you find a good taxidermist.  Absolutely love doing these slabbers and when done properly are breath taking.  First be sure you take some photos right away, that way the colors and vermiculation's(markings) are at their brightest etc.  Second, take measurements both length and girth.  Length on a crappie would be while laying it out flat and measure from the tip of the lower jaw to the tip of the tail "With out" pinching the tail.  Next, wrap it up in a very wet and saturated wet cloth, preferably white.  Make sure the wet cloth is clings to the fish.  You'll know what I mean once you see it.  Don't ever, ever wrap a fish in news paper or other fibrous wood products. That will only draw out the moisture.  Lastly, place the fish in a air tight plastic bag and very importantly, make sure all the air is out and that the fins are not at any folded lines.  By wrapping it in wet cloth, it creates a freezer barrier completely surrounding the fish and will not freezer burn for a long, long time.  I've done this to my fish for years and simply is the best method for preserving your trophy. Because I was so busy doing everyone else's mounts, I could never get to my own and at times, mine sat in the freezer for two years before getting to them and still perfectly preserved.  Having said that, I would not recommend leaving in the freezer for that long.  Good luck with that trophy and please post pics when complete.  Tight lines to ya.

Offline soarky

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Feb 02, 2015, 03:01 PM »
I just recently got a 17 inch crappie mounted and it is very well done. The guy that did it is named Marty Shimkus and his website is www.fishspecialties.net He is located near Joliet/Plainfield area.

Trying to post the photo here but my computer is acting up. He has some photos of his work on the site though. Nice guy and I would definitely do business with him again.

Offline Tubes77

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 03, 2015, 11:44 AM »
I'll second the Marty Shimkus recommendation!  He does fantastic work!

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:16 PM »
Look up Douglas Taxidermy in Elburn Il. Simply the best. (630) 557-0158. Commissioned by the John G Shedd Aquarium for Fish Taxidermy and Mount restoration. Has done numerous world records and state records. Look to his list of clients. They are some of the who's who in the fishing world.

I have several trophy mounts by Douglas Taxidermy and the quality of work matches their prices! Theeee best!

Poorboy

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #9 on: Feb 03, 2015, 04:50 PM »
X3 with Douglas......Check his crappies on his website. I have a 32 5/8" walleye with him right now. And yes, his quality matches his price.
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

http://www.peotoneweather.com/

Offline waterfowler04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Feb 04, 2015, 07:32 AM »
I emailed him about prices no response yet. Do you guys know what he charges for crappies?

Offline Big Icehole

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • drop jig hook repeat
« Reply #11 on: Feb 04, 2015, 03:31 PM »
If I were to guess on a crappie, I say it would be around $20 an inch.
Man who fish in other man's well often catch crabs.

http://www.peotoneweather.com/

Offline ultraguy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 05, 2015, 12:42 AM »
I emailed him about prices no response yet. Do you guys know what he charges for crappies?

Did you try top do a google search to find their website? Possibly you can get their number from there and call them. Emails sometimes take forever.

Poorboy

Offline waterfowler04

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:00 AM »
He did get back to me $19 an inch. Thanks for the info guys but that's redicolous price to mount a fish I don't care how good it looks. I haven't had a fish mounted in a few years but I can remember paying $10 an inch plus drift wood. I couldn't imagine paying almost double that. I could get a really nice shoulder mount of a deer done for the same price as this fish. Maybe prices are higher in by the suburbs than they are out here in the country.

Offline greensider

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:02 AM »
the average price around south east ny where i live is 17 an inch but you get what you pay for i have 2 crappies mounted just do it you will be glad you did

Offline Cantgetenough

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #15 on: Feb 05, 2015, 06:30 AM »
He did get back to me $19 an inch. Thanks for the info guys but that's redicolous price to mount a fish I don't care how good it looks. I haven't had a fish mounted in a few years but I can remember paying $10 an inch plus drift wood. I couldn't imagine paying almost double that. I could get a really nice shoulder mount of a deer done for the same price as this fish. Maybe prices are higher in by the suburbs than they are out here in the country.
Give Tom a shout. Tell him Ross from Bolingbrook passed his info along. My last mount from him was @$12.00 an inch its my avatar.  tomswildlifeartandtaxi dermy.com
Ross
Be Safe, Be Smart, Have a Great Time!!!

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 05, 2015, 05:11 PM »
Quality costs. Look at what gear costs now. A good mount done by the best is sure to cost. A great fish done by an artist is priceless. Have seen many cheap ones at the flea markets. Funny you never find really good ones there.
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline Hoosier

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Bucket,some bait and,,what did she ask me to do??
« Reply #17 on: Feb 06, 2015, 05:43 AM »
I did see an AWESOME "Great horned beared jackel tom buck rabbit" at a flea market once. Guy wanted like a million dollars for it. Said it was one of the rarest animals in the world. Seen less than Bigfoot. 

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 06, 2015, 01:48 PM »
LOL!
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.