The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: "Original Moosehead" traps  (Read 12856 times)

Offline NoMe

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: "Original Moosehead" traps
« Reply #30 on: Feb 08, 2013, 11:39 AM »
Ive got two of these, but the reels on them need some greasing, what do i use to grease it with out the grease freezin up?
Something like this will work... I believe Frabill sells some as well.
http://www.amazon.com/Beaver-Dam-No-Freeze-Grease-Blue/dp/B00A4X0NKA/ref=sr_1_fkmr1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1360345081&sr=8-1-fkmr1&keywords=tip+up+reel+grease

Offline Huemorin

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 08, 2013, 12:17 PM »
I have an uncle who loves the superiors and is looking for all he can find.  He actually got a new set of Jack's and stopped using them and went back to the superiors.  I can't say anything about them either way as I have never used them.

Offline outdoorsman7617

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 08, 2013, 02:23 PM »
I have a set of them I use for deep water fishing, in my opinion they are great traps.I also have a set of Thompson's which are the same thing but shorter that I use for shallow water. You got yourself some nice traps.

Offline bassinbill

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #33 on: Feb 08, 2013, 03:13 PM »
Hey there I have an old Thompson trap that I have had for years. I bought it at LL Bean in Freeport Maine. I also agree that they are Easier to set if you tip it sideways
Life is like ice fishing, you never know how many turns your reel has taken or how many more turns it will take. Live life like it's your final flag, final turn.

Offline EmeraldShiner

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live on for those that have been lost.
« Reply #34 on: Feb 08, 2013, 04:23 PM »
I have a set of five original Moosehead 30" traps that I purchased at DL Fleurys Sporting Goods in Winthrop back in the late 70's, they are still in very active use for over 33 years now, have a very sensitive trip, and if you set them properly oriented to the wind will never get a wind flag.  Have three Jack Traps as well but when it comes to game fish whether it be Salmon, Brook Trout or Togue these traps outfish the Jacks 3 to 1, no kidding, don't know why but those are the stats over the years.  Particularly love these traps for Brook Trout sets, as they have a very light trigger. You will love them, awesome find!  ;)

EmeraldShiner

Offline K9trapper

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #35 on: Feb 08, 2013, 10:43 PM »
My father and grand father both have a set of mooseheads, they are at least 25 years old. My brother and I also have a set that are at least 15 yrs old. They were all bought at LL Beans, I had only seen them for sale there, along with the smaller thompsons. Superiors were a nice trap also, a friends uncle used to make them, think his name was Alex Griatski. Just sorry I never bought any. My father still uses his mooseheads today. I will say the earlier ones were better built than the later ones. Trip tubes on the older ones had aluminum straps holding them on and the later ones were staples.

Offline Jessechop

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #36 on: Feb 09, 2013, 10:27 PM »
HT makes an "Arctic Bay Trap" that is similar, and Frabill makes a "Lake Champlain" that are great reproductions of these thompson/moosehead style trap. Probably not the quality of the original moosehead but I was looking over the Frabill today and they look pretty darn good and solid. $20 at mardens. I know some guys that make them from scratch, obviously they buy some of the parts.

I bought one from Mardens. I do not like it. It is tippy and I dont like the flag catch. But it catches fish!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.