The ice fishing ME board is sponsored by:
Visit Dags visit derby website

Author Topic: Jigging rods/line for Crappie and Togue ??  (Read 1310 times)

Offline Scaler Marty

• Team IceShanty Regular
Jigging rods/line for Crappie and Togue ??
« on: Feb 09, 2013, 11:48 AM »
Sitting out the storm and wondering what people use for the light biting Crappie and also for Togue? It seems to take forever for my light jigs to get down to the fish. After watching Joe lug around a handful of rods there must be something better than what I am using.

Also how far do the Crappie move thru out the day ?  It seems like they bite well up to about 10am then they disappear from the fish finder and we catch just a few after moving around. Just wondering what others use. Thanks  :)

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Jigging rods/line for Crappie and Togue ??
« Reply #1 on: Feb 09, 2013, 11:52 AM »
2 lb test for crappie, I like P-Line CX Premium the best out of any lines that I have used (great combination of tough and low memory).  Small jigs sink better on light line.

For togue I use anything from 4 lb fluorocarbon to 10 lb braid (with a fluoro leader). 

As for crappie movements, I have found them to be variable from place to place. 
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline Scaler Marty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 09, 2013, 12:21 PM »
2 lb test for crappie, I like P-Line CX Premium the best out of any lines that I have used (great combination of tough and low memory).  Small jigs sink better on light line.

For togue I use anything from 4 lb fluorocarbon to 10 lb braid (with a fluoro leader). 

As for crappie movements, I have found them to be variable from place to place.
  Thanks for the tips. The line that you use along with the rod are they available at most sporting good stores ?

Offline TheOutdoorsman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 09, 2013, 12:37 PM »
  Thanks for the tips. The line that you use along with the rod are they available at most sporting good stores ?

I've found the P-line in Cabela's, but I don't recall ever finding CX Premium in 2 lb at Dick's.  For some reason, even if places carry that brand/type, they don't always have the 2 lb...so inevitably, I end up ordering it online. 
"If firearms cause crimes and kill people, all of the ones I have must be defective."

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 09, 2013, 12:53 PM »
I use a MH Fabril jigging rod with 8 pound test for togue.  Our local Mardens had them recently, with reels, for $4.99 marked down from $24.  They had light, medium, and medium heavy action.  I picked up one of each before the price went back up.  My son has been using the light action for togue downstate and doing well.  He plans to use that rod/reel for just about everything.

I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #5 on: Feb 09, 2013, 01:25 PM »
Sitting out the storm and wondering what people use for the light biting Crappie and also for Togue? It seems to take forever for my light jigs to get down to the fish. After watching Joe lug around a handful of rods there must be something better than what I am using.

Also how far do the Crappie move thru out the day ?  It seems like they bite well up to about 10am then they disappear from the fish finder and we catch just a few after moving around. Just wondering what others use. Thanks  :)

Joe? Is that me???

I lug multiple rods, but not for the sake of the rods but to have several lures ready to go. I like light and med light for crappie and most pan fish. AND larger fish are wicked fun on them too! I have a couple 28” med lite fenwick ice rods I really like. I think long and lite is best. The line is key. Lately I’ve been using 4# Seaguar florocarbon (fc) - .007”. My 2# Stren and Trilene fc  is .006. That seaguar stuff  is supple and low memory too. Seems about the same as my 2#. Getting the jig down is a function of it’s weight and your line (heavier line = slower decent)  as welll as if your line has a lot of twist. It’s gets like a big spring after a few fish and or lots of jigging. No Good. Peel off 20’ or so when it gets spun up. To get down fast, we use tungsten jigs or other fairly heavy but small presentations. Look up "big max” here: http://www.jblures.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=31&osCsid= (I like the glow yellow and chartreuse ones.) Here’s one place for tungsten. HUNH. It won’t let me post these sites.....BUT search Fiskas and Pelkie jigs . Tungsten is heavier but twice the money....

For togue, what Theoutdoorsman and JDK said.  I’d use 6# and a 28” med rod, ideally. Even a light rod, cause it’s more fun. The 8# give you more pulling power and is less likely to cut on the hole, BUT a light rod and line will give you better lure  presentation... and control if you set your drag right and are patient. YOu get to really feel what the fish is doing. That’s how I look at it anyway.....Like they say “There’s a right way and a wrong way, and my way which is more fun."
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline Scaler Marty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:35 PM »
Joe? Is that me???

I lug multiple rods, but not for the sake of the rods but to have several lures ready to go. I like light and med light for crappie and most pan fish. AND larger fish are wicked fun on them too! I have a couple 28” med lite fenwick ice rods I really like. I think long and lite is best. The line is key. Lately I've been using 4# Seaguar fluorocarbon (fc) - .007”. My 2# Stren and Trilene fc  is .006. That seaguar stuff  is supple and low memory too. Seems about the same as my 2#. Getting the jig down is a function of it's weight and your line (heavier line = slower decent)  as well as if your line has a lot of twist. It's gets like a big spring after a few fish and or lots of jigging. No Good. Peel off 20’ or so when it gets spun up. To get down fast, we use tungsten jigs or other fairly heavy but small presentations. Look up "big max” here: http://www.jblures.com/products/product_info.php?products_id=31&osCsid= (I like the glow yellow and chartreuse ones.) Here’s one place for tungsten. HUNH. It won’t let me post these sites.....BUT search Fiskas and Pelkie jigs . Tungsten is heavier but twice the money....

For togue, what Theoutdoorsman and JDK said.  I'd use 6# and a 28” med rod, ideally. Even a light rod, cause it’s more fun. The 8# give you more pulling power and is less likely to cut on the hole, BUT a light rod and line will give you better lure  presentation... and control if you set your drag right and are patient. You get to really feel what the fish is doing. That's how I look at it anyway.....Like they say There's a right way and a wrong way, and my way which is more fun."
   Yes you are the " Joe " I was talking about. We met on Herman Pond last year with Snopro. We did not talk alot as you were pulling fish out left and right.  ;D ;D   Thanks for the tips

Offline Scaler Marty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:40 PM »
I use a MH Fabril jigging rod with 8 pound test for togue.  Our local Mardens had them recently, with reels, for $4.99 marked down from $24.  They had light, medium, and medium heavy action.  I picked up one of each before the price went back up.  My son has been using the light action for togue downstate and doing well.  He plans to use that rod/reel for just about everything.

Thanks for the tips JDK. Where is the local Mardens you bought the rods from if you don't mind saying ?

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #8 on: Feb 09, 2013, 04:59 PM »
Those rigs at mardens were clubs. I’ve gotat least a couple rods you can have.  Went a little overboard on ebay last summer ::). Where are ya anyway? I’ll send ya a light and a medium. If yer around here, I’ll just meet ya somewhere.
"You can’t buy happiness, but you can buy fishing gear and that’s kind of the same thing.” 

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:15 PM »
Light lines really do increase ones success. I like to use a sliding sinker with a small split shot as a stop a foot above my small jig. I think the click of the sinkers act as an attractive. and it helps to send the jig down with ease.

Offline JDK

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:20 PM »
Those rigs at mardens were clubs. I’ve gotat least a couple rods you can have.  Went a little overboard on ebay last summer ::). Where are ya anyway? I’ll send ya a light and a medium. If yer around here, I’ll just meet ya somewhere.

I think your definition of a club and mine are a little different.

The bottom two were $4.99 each at Mardens in PI (as of this past Tuesday).  28 inch MH, and 24 inch M and L action.  Not saying they are the best thing since sliced bread but for a five spot they are decent.  I have had togue up to 8 pounds on the top rod without a hiccup.
I'm just here to read what all the experts have to say.

Offline woodchip

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:25 PM »
I was at Mardens in Gray and all the light rods were gone. I find an old broken graphite rod and use the tip and find a grip with a little epoxy Bingo a nice jigging rod.

Offline Scaler Marty

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Feb 09, 2013, 05:30 PM »
JDK looks light you got everything covered with with that selection of rods. I will see what I can find.

Thanks
Marty

Offline Anomaly

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Formerly clamfarmer
« Reply #13 on: Feb 10, 2013, 04:05 AM »
I think your definition of a club and mine are a little different.

(Image removed from quote.)

The bottom two were $4.99 each at Mardens in PI (as of this past Tuesday).  28 inch MH, and 24 inch M and L action.  Not saying they are the best thing since sliced bread but for a five spot they are decent.  I have had togue up to 8 pounds on the top rod without a hiccup.

Nope...those look good. The stuff Ellsworth had weren’t those...they had a pile of white ones and a few heavy dark colored ones. Not much bend to em.  Nice rods you got there.  :thumbsup: :icefish:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.