Author Topic: Almost forgot  (Read 1274 times)

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Almost forgot
« on: Feb 27, 2019, 05:53 AM »
Yeah,so I had all the gear put away for the year and decided to go again. Got the Car all loaded and was happy I did. Laying in bed last night I was going over all the things I loaded in my head and all of a sudden thought, OH Carp I didn't load any poles up. Could you just see someone out fishing in 50 feet of water with no poles? I did have some line loaded but if I caught a big Laker I would have torn up my hands pretty good.

It will be my first time out with the new M51 Eskimo I bought. Bringing along the 7" Mini Nero and drill as well but don't expect to be using it on the 2 plus feet of ice/slush/snow.
<===Lefty===

Offline Huntindave

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Almost forgot
« Reply #1 on: Feb 27, 2019, 06:19 AM »
Had a dental appointment the other day at a town about a half hour away.  Just out side of this town is a small public pond. I figured after my appointment I'd stop at the pond and fish for a bit.  well,,,,,,,,,, after seeing my dentist, drove over to the public pond. Put my boots and winter gear on and opened up the back of my truck.  It was at this point I realized that I did not have any way to put a hole thru the ice.  I've got gas, electric and manual augers, not a one was with me.    At least I had not made a special trip just to go fishing.  :-\
take care,
Dave  :>)

Offline RyanW

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2019, 07:37 AM »
I pack so minimimaly that it’s real easy to forget stuff. My mental check list is holes (auger, scoop, spud), poles (rod case), flasher, and jigs (which live in my flasher pouches and goes in my bucket). I usually forget my bait. I double check everything about 6 times before leaving. Packing up is the same. I’m always certain I’m forgetting something lol.
“When the fish are biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using. When the fish aren’t biting, it really doesn’t matter what you’re using” - Uncle Dave

Offline Bull Herbie

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2019, 08:39 AM »
Couple weeks ago. Get up 4 AM get ready to go, drive 1 hour to my spot, get right on my numbers, right where I want to be. Fire up the auger, starts on 3rd pull, VROOM VROOM VROOM BLAH! OUT OF GAS!!!! Sit and cry for awhile, wait for the sun to come up do some exploring and go home sad. First (and hopefully last) time I didn't check my gas.
There are two types of people. Those who are humble, and those who are about to be.

Offline Unclegillhunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Ice So Nice
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2019, 10:47 AM »
Keep all of my gear in one spot. Every thing is there when I pack up everything goes back to the spot. Twice last season had to turn around to get my rod case. Cause I checked out my rods to make sure everything was good to go, and didn’t put the bag back in the spot!
Keep it safe! JDL

Offline bearnoob

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Feb 27, 2019, 11:11 AM »
I just keep everything in my car (except batteries and bait) at all times. That way I only need to remember two things.
Hardwater fisherman since 2014. All opinions subject to change as experience increases.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #6 on: Feb 27, 2019, 12:51 PM »
Earlier in the season, my buddy sent me a pic of all his rods hanging on his deer mounts in his man cave. Was a really cool pic. The next day we went fishing and when we pulled into the parking lot (an hour drive) he goes "oh s***" I said what? and he said "I forgot my rods at home... they are on that da** deer mount". I couldn't stop laughing but it all worked out, there were plenty of rods for him to use. It's like the time I took an empty gun case duck hunting, after it happens once it will never happen again... Always double and triple check the gear now.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Feb 27, 2019, 12:57 PM »
On different trips this winter I've forgot Vexilar, pole bag, wax worms, jigs and gas.All I do everyday at home is look for multiple things.  Probably infirmaries of old age.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #8 on: Feb 27, 2019, 02:18 PM »
its not a fishing trip if I remember everything I need for the day.lol not 1 trip have I remembered to pack everything  and always forget at least 1 item.the only thing ive went back home for is my vexilar.ive borrowed a auger out on the ice,used my hand for a scoop,plastics if I forgot bait..ive never left my rods out tho.ive left the net home on steelhead trips so many times now.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #9 on: Feb 27, 2019, 03:27 PM »
Well we made it to the lake this morning. No rod holders and the Show Down Troller I thought I had fixed lasted 15 minutes. I don't know how I ever fished without electronics and today was brutal. Not one bite in 8 holes so we packed it up and went for an early(Gray Hair club) lunch. I did get to try out the new M51 eskimo and it ripped through very nice. Good thing I didn't count on the Mini Nero and drill. Here is a shot of the depth of the ice I was at. I measured with my Scoop and found it was 26" with about 8" of snow on top.

<===Lefty===

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:40 AM »
I just keep everything in my car (except batteries and bait) at all times. That way I only need to remember two things.
Keep all of my gear in one spot. Every thing is there when I pack up everything goes back to the spot. Twice last season had to turn around to get my rod case. Cause I checked out my rods to make sure everything was good to go, and didn’t put the bag back in the spot!
Keep it safe! JDL
Ah I remember the days I could do that. The jetsled jr fits perfectly into my trunk with all the gear. Now The back of my RAV4 is filled with strollers and extra everything for the kids. Now I have to grab everything from “the spot” and pack it on the seats (kids are still too little to go out  :-\) unless I want to unpack the trunk first, or have my buddy pick me up in his pickup. Luckily, I’m kinda ocd with my gear so I’ve never left any essential gear... the ice scoop usually still gets forgotten or left in the car, but I hardly ever need it since I clear the holes by running the auger.

Lefty, don’t you have an extension to go with that Nero? I personally hated using a drill setup without an extension. I started out with the extension on my setup, so when mine got bent on a trip (don’t let others use your auger!), I drilled a few holes to make sure the auger itself was fine, felt what it was like to drill without one, and I immediately ordered up two new ones while still out on the ice. 

Offline Elrik

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #11 on: Feb 28, 2019, 07:59 AM »
Yeah,so I had all the gear put away for the year and decided to go again. Got the Car all loaded and was happy I did. Laying in bed last night I was going over all the things I loaded in my head and all of a sudden thought, OH Carp I didn't load any poles up. Could you just see someone out fishing in 50 feet of water with no poles? I did have some line loaded but if I caught a big Laker I would have torn up my hands pretty good.

It will be my first time out with the new M51 Eskimo I bought. Bringing along the 7" Mini Nero and drill as well but don't expect to be using it on the 2 plus feet of ice/slush/snow.

The burning question here is “why are you packing up your gear for the year if there is still 2’ of ice ?!?

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #12 on: Feb 28, 2019, 03:05 PM »
The burning question here is “why are you packing up your gear for the year if there is still 2’ of ice ?!?
I don't know.
<===Lefty===

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.