Author Topic: Eskimo Mako Issues  (Read 642 times)

Offline Kbank050

• IceShanty Rookie
Eskimo Mako Issues
« on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:09 AM »
Hey guys,
I purchased this auger at the beginning of the year and I'm having troubles getting it to reliably start. Has anyone had issues with this model before? I'll prime it with the choke on and sometimes get it to start but as soon as I switch it to run it stops working. I'm not as knowledgeable on small engines as some of you guys are on here so was wondering if anyone has a general idea of whats wrong with it.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
Re: Eskimo Mako Issues
« Reply #1 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:21 AM »
First off,you shouldn't have the choke on when priming it. That will flood it. My old Z51 hardly ever had to be choked at all even at -10. Just the 3 or 4 primes and no choke and it would start always first pull once in a while on the second pull. There has been some trouble with the gas caps they use now that create a vacuum and keeps them from running. Might try it with the gas cap loose and only prime until you see gas going through the clear line. If it tries to start set the choke at half and try it without priming again.
<===Lefty===

Offline punkinhead

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:39 AM »
I've had a mako for about 7yrs now.  I usually only have to prime it the first time I use it each season or if I run out of fuel.  I start it with choke on, usually 2 pulls and she fires up then I switch choke to run position.  As I do this I listen to the engine so I don't move lever too far at once but it is seldom an issue.  Good luck!

Offline MT_mulies

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • "Aim high, Miss High"
« Reply #3 on: Feb 18, 2019, 09:24 AM »
I have a mako and have to follow the instructions that are on the side of it either or it won't start. My guess is a dirty carb so when you turn it to run the fuel/air mixture isn't right and killing it. I always put seafoam in all my small engines even though I run ethenal free gas. It seems to help quite a bit.

I would clean your carb and try it out again. It might not be bad gas it could just be something got sucked through your fuel hose and is plugging a jet in the carb. Also let it run for a bit on choke and half choke.

Like and subscribe

Offline Hookerhooker

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:16 PM »
I cleaned my filter,  switched to trufuel and never gave me trouble again.  As mentioned prime with choke off

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Feb 18, 2019, 08:41 PM »
Choke has to be to run position, prime twice and pull the cord. If it didn't start, prime again and pull the cord. That's as far as I've ever been on mine without it starting. I've never used the choke. Once you start it once, you won't have to prime again unless it sits for a long time. Just pick it up and pull, if it didn't start, prime once and pull again. Again, as far as I've ever been on a restart.

Even sitting for months in the garage, I prime twice and pull the cord and it starts first pull.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Feb 19, 2019, 02:11 PM »
The best way to solve that problem is to put that gas auger on Craigslist and buy a Strikemaster Lithium.

Offline Kbank050

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 25, 2019, 07:41 AM »
I put new gas in and have been listening to what you guys have to say about starting. It was running very good this weekend. thanks for your help

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Feb 25, 2019, 08:19 AM »
X2 for premixed fuel.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.