Author Topic: Tip up fishing and attacked by a pike  (Read 8935 times)

Offline gator_hunter71

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Tip Up!!!
Re: Tip up fishing and attacked by a pike
« Reply #30 on: Dec 24, 2006, 09:02 AM »
From what I have been told they have bones under their gill plates that you can just as easily cut yourself on. Bleeding for hours is an understatement, I want to find the pic with the fish that bit me. There was lots of blood, and I don't think any came from the fish. :D

I grabbed it without thinking, I had grabbed pike by the gill plate out of ice holes many times. All of a sudden it cleared the water and gave a big thrash, raking my fingers across the back teeth. I held on to that sucker though. My brother was shaking his head, he couldn't believe it.

My bros man eater.
If you jig it...... They will come.

Offline krappie_king

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Crappie anyone?
« Reply #31 on: Dec 24, 2006, 11:20 AM »
I grabbed it without thinking, I had grabbed pike by the gill plate out of ice holes many times. All of a sudden it cleared the water and gave a big thrash, raking my fingers across the back teeth. I held on to that sucker though. My brother was shaking his head, he couldn't believe it.

No matter how many fingers you lose, you gotta love the toothy ones.
Hello, you have reached John. I am currently fishing. Leave me a message and I will get back to you as soon as Ice fishing becomes an olympic sport.

Offline crappieking23

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #32 on: Feb 16, 2007, 06:56 AM »
a little something like that happend to me recently w/ a pike. i was fishing w/ a rapala  and i cuaght a good 30 inch pike so i was a little excited and i didnt take out the hooks from the fish i went to measure it on the side of the boat and then the fish wiggled and he fell of the boat. but the top set of hooks whent into me so i pulled the pikeout of the water w/ a  pike on the back of the rapala and my ring finger on the other. to say the least it was painfull. :'(
Lip rippin

Offline POk3s

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Gettin' JGGY with it!
« Reply #33 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:25 PM »
I thought it looked a little different than the ling i've seen...but i'm not an expert by any means.
Trent Williams
When hell freezes over, I’ll ice fish there too!

Offline Maine-e-ak iceman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 16, 2007, 02:57 PM »
Nice pics, and I bet you never stick your hand in a pikes mouth again!  nice catch.  Diz.  :clap:
Confusion to our enemies!  Diz.

PreperationH

« Reply #35 on: Feb 16, 2007, 09:20 PM »
ouch ge bibble...yeah over the summer i had 3 fishin hooks stuck in 2 fingers!!and 2 of em were in there pretty good....it tickled

Offline steelhead833

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Check The Reg's
« Reply #36 on: Feb 17, 2007, 12:50 AM »
That fish is definately a Burbot and not a dogfish/bowfin.  They are similiar looking but the easiest way to tell the difference is to remeber "A Burbot has no spot".  The Bowfin will have a dark spot back by the tail, the burbot doesn't.

Check this photo of a bowfin-  http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fishspecs/unu1text.html#bowfin

and this photo of a burbot-  http://www.dec.state.ny.us/website/dfwmr/fish/fishspecs/unu1text.html#burbot

Offline Tupperlake4eva

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #37 on: Feb 25, 2007, 06:38 PM »
Naa bud, it is a bowfin.  On the DEC page you posted it says that anglers rarely fish for them.  Welp, my brothers and I are some of the few that intentionally catch these creatures in the creeks near our house in hilton, ny. Some of these creeks are also stocked with steelhead and salmon. To respond to others in this section, I have a lot of respect for these fish but have seen first hand how they can affect a sportfish population.  These fish LOVE young sunnies, bass, and trout.  Although they have survived millions of years of climate change and are a decent top predator in the food chain....I would still rather catch a nice bass, steelhead, or salmon. 
New York is the best.
Go Bonnies.

Offline Slammerman

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • It's SLAMMIN' TIME !!!
« Reply #38 on: Feb 25, 2007, 09:39 PM »
Burbot/eelpout/ling have a goofy little thing sticking out of their chin.

Here's some pics of "Slammer Girl" and the DOGFISH (bowfin) she caught tip-up fishing off of the marina dock in the summer - bait was the front end of a bluegill with the guts hanging out.

MOST seem to have the spot near the tail, but not all bowfin do.

Imitation is the sincerest form of flattery

Offline 12057fishing

• IceShanty Rookie
  • a bad day fishin's better than a good day @ work
« Reply #39 on: Feb 26, 2007, 08:19 PM »
nice fish there and to the original poster...nice coloration on the pike...and if you've never stuck your fingers in a pikes mouth and got cut then you haven't fished hard enough :tipup:

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.