Author Topic: Ice fishing snowmobile suggestions newbie needs help  (Read 14347 times)

Offline jignpig

• IceShanty Rookie
Ice fishing snowmobile suggestions newbie needs help
« on: Nov 29, 2010, 09:13 PM »
Hey guys,

I am a newbie to snowmobiles and am looking for something to ice fish with.  I am not looking for a speed machine just something that will work for towing a sled loaded with my stuff.

We have many lakes that get a lot of wind and have bare ice, can you feasibly take a snowmobile out on such conditions?

What do you all recommend for mileage, brand, engine etc.  Anything you have is appreciated.  Trying to stay as inexpensive as possible, probably will take it out 4-5 times per year.

Thanks,

Todd

Offline CrappieGuy

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • 715-379-2376
Re: Ice fishing snowmobile suggestions newbie needs help
« Reply #1 on: Nov 29, 2010, 09:36 PM »
I would look for a vintage sled with boogie wheels in place of slides.  The slides need snow to keep them cool, plus the older sleds are much lighter and cheaper.  Also make sure the track is studded or you will want to stud it if on bare ice a lot.

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Nov 29, 2010, 09:37 PM »
I would personally look for a utility type of sled or a touring sled.
An older Tundra II would be good or even a yamaha bravo if you are not too heavy.These would also be the cheapest.
As for bare ice You need to get some Ice scratchers. I hear good things about the Slidekicks brand as they are made so they don't get bent up when going in reverse if you forget to pick them up. They retail for about $60 for a set. I am considering these for my 2 sleds but usually don't have to worry about bare ice here in AK.
I am a Skidoo guy myself. Have a 99 tundra II that is pretty much retired but still runs good an 08 Tundra 550F and just bought a 2011 Expedition sport 600ACE.
I went with the newer sleds for comfort and suspension that the Tundra II is lacking.
Just be sure to avoid any of the race style sleds those usually are marked with an X on the end of the name. they are definitely not designed for towing anything.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline ranger_fisherman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:21 PM »
i just got a 94 polaris indy lite gt its just a 340 fanner so doesnt need snow to cool the engine 2 up seat basket on the back and the track is a 133 so lots of traction to pull the shack. its also pretty light around 400lb i think

Offline jaystev

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • 'morning sunshine!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:34 PM »
Make sure you go for a fan cooled unit otherwise you wont be going far on the windblown lakes.

Offline xcr440

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2010, 10:39 PM »
Get a set of ice scratchers and you will have plenty of ice for engine cooling and hyfax lubrication.
I have no issues on bare ice with my Polaris Indy 500.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #6 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:29 AM »
I would look for a vintage sled with boogie wheels in place of slides.  The slides need snow to keep them cool, plus the older sleds are much lighter and cheaper.  Also make sure the track is studded or you will want to stud it if on bare ice a lot.
if you go that old chances are you better be a small engine mechanic too, slides have been around for quite some time.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline jignpig

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Nov 30, 2010, 10:13 AM »
Thanks for all the input.  I would have had no idea about the cooling systems and what to look for... 

Do the 440's and 500's have enough juice with a couple guys, a clam voyager and the rest of the essentials?

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Nov 30, 2010, 04:53 PM »
A 440 or 500 would be plenty big enough.
My old Tundra II has I believe a 266 cc engine and I easily towed a fold a sled with a guy on the back of the sled and loaded with my power auger and all the other gear we needed.
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline DieHardIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:07 PM »
A buddy and I burned up a 96 Polaris Indy 500 pulling my portable and gear it did last 2 seasons of fishing about 4 days aweek but it was rough going any kind of slush or deeper snow would put a stop to everything. You might be better off with a 4 wheeler if there is little snow you can stud those tires and not have a problem, even a honda big red 3 wheeler will do the job. Just stay away from "trail" sleds unless they are 2ups.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #10 on: Nov 30, 2010, 06:35 PM »
A buddy and I burned up a 96 Polaris Indy 500 pulling my portable and gear it did last 2 seasons of fishing about 4 days aweek but it was rough going any kind of slush or deeper snow would put a stop to everything. You might be better off with a 4 wheeler if there is little snow you can stud those tires and not have a problem, even a honda big red 3 wheeler will do the job. Just stay away from "trail" sleds unless they are 2ups.
sounds to me like that indy had some other issues than pulling a portable shack. a proper runnin sled will go 100X the places a 4 wheeler will go. And I wouldnt even waste my time with a 3 wheeler if there is more than 6-8 inches of snow, seen way to many of them get towed back to the truck with each tire in a tobagon.
If you consider it a sport to gather your food by drilling through 36 inches of ice and sitting there all day hoping that the food will swim by, you might live in northern New York

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v17/camofish/IceShantyStuff/walleye22013_zpsbe2b0c13.png

Offline Snakehunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 30, 2010, 10:51 PM »
Opinions ::) ;D
My 2 cents - Bogie sleds are best left to vintage enthusiasts. Sliders are fine except if you are riding on roads or lake without snow.
If you are a big guy or ride 2-up a lot get a machine of 500cc or larger. If you ride off the beaten path get a long track or wider track for flotation over deep snow. Free-air or fan cooled is fine if you are moving around. If you putter a lot get a liquid cooled (adds a little weight though). If I was getting a do-it-all machine without wanting the speed I'd look at utility sleds like the Ski-Doo Tundra line or Arctic Cat Bearcat. They have racks that are really useful as well.  If I had a bit more cash I'd go 4 stroke for quiet, fuel efficiency or something like an e-tec 2 stroke.
Check out a few dealers and get an idea of what you need and then shop around. Good luck, Glen.

Offline DieHardIcer

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Dec 01, 2010, 08:26 PM »
Thy Indy was a fine sled for trails it was just geared wrong for two people and gear smoked cog wheels off of it. They are made to go quick down a trail anymore then a foot of snow and the thing was useless traded it for a yamaha enticer 2 up that's a beast.

Offline northernnyice

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Dec 02, 2010, 09:45 AM »
look for a polaris indy 440. things are bulletproof. great ice sled. Dont get a triple! You'll be changing lots and lots of plugs.

Offline esox_magnum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Dec 14, 2010, 11:23 PM »
I pull my shack, Eskimo 3 man and a passenger with my 600 tripple and never fouled a plug. Runs great either ice fishing or on the trails. 5200 miles so far all original. I do change plugs yearly though and it is tuned right.

Offline nypike

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • ALL THROUGH THE ICE!!!
« Reply #15 on: Dec 15, 2010, 05:24 AM »
i pull all my stuff with a 700 triple and it is clutched, piped and geared and have never had a problem

Offline backwoodswalker

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Hardwater Nut!
« Reply #16 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:24 PM »
An older Tundra II would be good or even a yamaha bravo if you are not too heavy.These would also be the cheapest.
As for bare ice You need to get some Ice scratchers. I hear good things about the Slidekicks brand as they are made so they don't get bent up when going in reverse if you forget to pick them up. They retail for about $60 for a set. I am considering these for my 2 sleds but usually don't have to worry about bare ice here in AK.
I am a Skidoo guy myself. Have a 99 tundra II that is pretty much retired but still runs good an 08 Tundra 550F and just bought a 2011 Expedition sport 600ACE.
I went with the newer sleds for comfort and suspension that the Tundra II is lacking.
Just be sure to avoid any of the race style sleds those usually are marked with an X on the end of the name. they are definitely not designed for towing anything.

Man you can't buy beg borrow or steal a tundra around here. Tundra's are the best utility, fishing, woods machine made. Guys who have em run them til they are junk and then park them.  Steve

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #17 on: Dec 19, 2010, 04:55 PM »
Whats your price range?

Offline berg285

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Dec 23, 2010, 08:53 PM »
My icefishing machine is a 1972 ski doo elan 250 its all set up for fishing and towing my portable shack.. The best part about the machine is i can load it in my truck by myself super light.. Huge bonus when newer sleds have issues in early season slush...  The shack sits across the custom seat i made during transport in my truck.. I have towed 2 portables with 3 people sitting on them and the sled didnt even notice..

I will post some pics of this weapon soon ;D

Offline filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:31 PM »
My icefishing machine is a 1972 ski doo elan 250 its all set up for fishing and towing my portable shack.. The best part about the machine is i can load it in my truck by myself super light.. Huge bonus when newer sleds have issues in early season slush...  The shack sits across the custom seat i made during transport in my truck.. I have towed 2 portables with 3 people sitting on them and the sled didnt even notice..

I will post some pics of this weapon soon ;D
ya and they run in any type of conditions ,but for a new sled it would be a tundra

Offline stevek

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • STKA (MHF)
« Reply #20 on: Jan 04, 2011, 04:40 PM »

I was going to suggest a utility sled as well. I've been researching sleds for a few years while I save some money to get one. I plan on getting a utility sled, I want as much surface area as I can get on the track and skies. Utility sleds typically have a 20" wide track as opposed to 15" that seems pretty standard. They also come as two ups and usually have towing packages and storage. I could care less how fast it is. And as far as driving it on bare ice, I can easily walk a long ways on glare ice, but want to be able to get out in deep snow (why I decided against a quad).

Offline eaglejac

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • age 50+ avid fisherman freshwater and salt
« Reply #21 on: Jan 22, 2011, 09:35 PM »
I am looking at a 06 Yamaha Attak 1000 cc 4 Stroke 575 lbs  for $4000.00 . I am a newbe to snowmobiles , what do you guys think

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #22 on: Jan 25, 2011, 12:59 PM »
The best advice I could offer, DON'T BUY AN ARTIC CAT!!!
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #23 on: Jan 25, 2011, 07:44 PM »
Bart thought you just set a cat  up for fishing. What the issue?

Offline John_BZ

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #24 on: Jan 25, 2011, 09:01 PM »
i have had problems with liquid cooled sleds overheating pulling alot of weight at low speed. with little or no snow across the heat exchanger they dont fare too well. my personal opinion is to favor fan cooled engines. they make less power for a given displacement but they always have a means of colling available.

Offline bart

• Team IceShantyholic
  • I love you, Deb
« Reply #25 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:11 AM »
Bart thought you just set a cat  up for fishing. What the issue?

With heart condition I purchased a new sled with reverse, electric start and above all reliability. I've had problems with the reverse, the speedometer went and now a safety alert notice(lower a-arm bracket). I attempted to contact artic cat with questions and concerns and was on the automated service treadmill which then referred me to message service, leave a message. Prior to "leave a message" it went on with ridiculous require information required to enable them to response? Back on the automated treadmill. I finally attempted to contact a human being but when contact was made they quickly transferred me back to the treadmill, twice! I then called back again and immediately asked to be transferred to a actual person, I got another answering machine! When I finally contacted a person they referred me to the treadmill again. After finally able to converse with a person they stated they are doing their best? Today was to be my first time out with the sled, when will it happen, hopefully this year? Reliability is my greatest concern, if this is their best I would look other options for a sled.
"Many fish their entire lives without knowing that it is not fish they are after."-Henry David Thoreau
  Keep America Godly...

Offline sled-in

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #26 on: Jan 26, 2011, 08:40 AM »
I have a '93 indy trail deluxe, if I had to replace this sled I would buy a polaris indy trail deluxe, I love it.
440 fan, 136"x15"x1 1/4" track, if you don't get too much snow a standard 3/4" track will be fine, I don't recommend picks here in Manitoba for an icefishing sled, but in your case they probably would be good. I also have 8" ski skins, I have heard of just putting a track stud in the back of your ski skin to act as a ice scratcher, might work.

I have hauled 5 guys and a HEAVY home made shack off the ice once so power isn't an issue for a 440 fan

Offline campfindit2

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Feb 04, 2011, 04:17 AM »
Bart sorry to hear that. Realy stinks when a new toy sits idle. For the record I ride Polaris. Only replaced a track in 11 yrs. Hope AC gets on the ball for you.

FRESHBAIT

« Reply #28 on: Feb 05, 2011, 01:07 AM »
A few things for you to consider....
Are you looking for a new or used?
Is it in your price range?
If it is used things to consider, you can usually get a decent used old sled pretty cheap, I've bought 3 sleds within the last 9months.   I bought a 1992 indy 500 basket case in hundreds of pieces and rebuilt it from the ground up, total investment with new parts $400.  Also bought a 1994 polaris indy trail deluxe its a 488cc fan cooled 2up, with a rack up front and a rack in the rear with a hitch.  I picked the trail deluxe up for $300.  The last sled i bought was a 1996 indy 500 for $200.  Check your local classifieds, and Craigslist.  If buying used make sure it runs and moves, take it for a test drive.  also beware if your not mechanical by nature stay away from one that may need some repairs, you may get in over your head.  If you look around long enough and don't jump on the first one you see you can usually find a nice sled.
Maine where I am is usually hit or miss with the snow, some years we don't get that much and the lakes are snow free so I use the 4-wheeler, or like this year we have snow to our necks and even the sleds are having a hard time making it through the snow/slush. 
If on bare ice your gonna want some studs for traction, all my sleds have studs and a 1" track.   If I am going alone then I take my basket case indy as its a 1up with a hitch and it huals my 4' wooden box with my traps,bait, camp stove, food etc, as well as my 2 man portable clam.  if the family comes along then the wife takes the trail deluxe with kids and a tow sled, I hop on basket case with the 4' wooden sled, and my Dad will take the 1996 indy towing what ever else we may need.  Good luck on your hunt for your ice fishing sled.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.