Author Topic: Reflector Tape With Style.  (Read 3326 times)

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
Reflector Tape With Style.
« on: Mar 08, 2009, 06:45 PM »
I was wondering if I could get some cool patterns or colors in reflective tape? I like to goober my gear up with reflective material to prevent a mishap with a high velocity snowmobile or a drunk in a pickup. I am in the process of putting together an older Polaris snowmobile for ice fishing, and I would like to stripe it up, or even put some graphics stickers on it. The stuff they sell in the hardware store is either red, white, or yellow. Those colors provide visibility for safety, but not the pizazz needed to spruce up an ATV or sled.

Two fish Tommy and I had a close call with a drunk hunyuk in a pickup a few months back, visibility is a good thing! I would love for my wheeler and snowmobile to look like a spaceship landing on the ice. ;D

Offline SLED_NECK

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Reflector Tape With Style.
« Reply #1 on: Mar 09, 2009, 07:16 AM »
well in my shop class at school we make vinyls for trucks and stuff, (the stuff you say on everybody windows) we Probely could order some refelective vinyl.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #2 on: Mar 09, 2009, 04:35 PM »
I never thought of that. I have a guy here in town that cuts vinyl decals.

Offline SLED_NECK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Mar 09, 2009, 06:27 PM »
ya i saw some in the magizine that we order from today it can be done, i probably do the same thing to my shack.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Mar 09, 2009, 09:07 PM »
A giant reflective Iceshanty logo 8)

Offline Snopro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Why work when you can fish?
« Reply #5 on: Mar 11, 2009, 03:26 PM »
Any sign shop can make you anything you want out of refective vinal in alot of differant colors too! :tipup:
Is it ice time yet???

Offline thereeltruth

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Mar 11, 2009, 06:45 PM »
Try doing it yourself if you want to add your personal touch. Get some supplies or remnants from a local sign shop, online auction, or search sign supplies. Personally, I use Sign Warehouse for most of my sign supplies, but there are many online suppliers that can supply smaller amounts. You can use painter's tape or order some low-tack transfer tape from a supply house, do this so you can transfer the good vinyl to the substrate. When you cut by hand, using an Exacto or a disposable knife, try not cut through the backing and apply even pressure. Use a Stabilo aquacolor or a china marker wax pencil for your design to cut, or something that can be wiped off afterward. Weed out the unwanted vinyl (use the Exacto or a pick) and apply the transfer tape by laying it on it and squeegeeing from the center outward. Clean the substrate, wipe with alcohol, and then transfer onto your substrate. I usually start with the bottom, unless it's striping. Use a credit card to squeegee from the bottom center out and work your way up. Remove the tape at a 180 degree angle (parallel to substrate) to prevent lifting. For examples, check out the net in places like youtube, just search for "apply vinyl graphics" or something like that. For lettering, I'd seriously consider having it professionally done. I've simplified things, so do check out the net for more info. I've done vinyl jobs duplicating artwork, sketches, and pictures... It's all possible, it depends on what you like. Personally, I don't care for reflective vinyl but I do use it. Just keep the background and foreground contrasting in color. If the background is dark, use light colored vinyl, or vice versa. And the closer to white on the reflective vinyl, the brighter it will be at night. We're on the same page about safety and making it look cool with graphics. In the natural balance of things I do put some vinyl on my things, but like the shoemaker...I find myself going without in order to provide for others. Tight lines.

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Mar 11, 2009, 06:58 PM »
Thanks. I love this site!

Offline Tainterslayer

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 17, 2009, 09:50 AM »
A disco ball on each corner. 8)

Offline shantysitter

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Mar 17, 2009, 12:25 PM »
I was wondering if I could get some cool patterns or colors in reflective tape? I like to goober my gear up with reflective material to prevent a mishap with a high velocity snowmobile or a drunk in a pickup. I am in the process of putting together an older Polaris snowmobile for ice fishing, and I would like to stripe it up, or even put some graphics stickers on it. The stuff they sell in the hardware store is either red, white, or yellow. Those colors provide visibility for safety, but not the pizazz needed to spruce up an ATV or sled.

Two fish Tommy and I had a close call with a drunk hunyuk in a pickup a few months back, visibility is a good thing! I would love for my wheeler and snowmobile to look like a spaceship landing on the ice. ;D
Eric you have to much time on your hand. Is hunyuk a MN term never heard that before in PA.Enjoy the remaining ice season; my stuff got put away already.Be safe and fun and watch out for the HANYUKS.. 

Offline Skipper

• Iceshanty Retired Mod
  • Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #10 on: Mar 17, 2009, 04:33 PM »
It is in the dictionary.

1.  hunyuk 
 To partake in hunyuk activity. To perform silly acts in a timely fashion amongst friends.

*One time I drank beer from a keg while I stood on my hands for 75 seconds. I am a hunyuk, and that was hunyuk activity.

It is one of those underutilized words that paints a picture in your mind. ;) Without the ability to use vulgar language here on Iceshanty, I am forced to expand my vocabulary.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.