New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Irondequoit Bay 2021  (Read 4200 times)

Offline Slkgt37

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Irondequoit Bay 2021
« Reply #30 on: Feb 18, 2021, 07:56 PM »
Correct. Additionally there are random natural gas pockets and private docks with bubblers.  Just want everyone to have fun and stay safe!

Offline 2muchleft

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #31 on: Feb 19, 2021, 06:10 PM »
I agree the ice is a little spooky especially when we have a good snow cover like we have now.  I'm a walker and take my time going out.  Still spudding especially when I get off a main trail.  On the plus side I've never experienced a good ice shove or pressure crack to cross like I encounter at Oneida.  Stay safe and tight lines to all.   

Offline Lucky13

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #32 on: Feb 21, 2021, 10:35 AM »
I ran the oxygen project for the County for about 10 years.  The bubblers are only operative in the summer months, so have no effect on ice formation.  We monitored in the winter for years, before I went to work there, and until we couldn't get out there, no one wanted to cross the pressure ridge when we were coming from the North, and we could no longer access off Ides Cove area because of shaky bubbler ice.  The ice started to be more sketchy when the Bay was opened to the lake, and the huge number of bubblers have also impacted formation.  I would also be inclined to avoid the bay bridge area because of the quantity of salty runoff to the bay surface from the bridge.  And you certainly want to be watching the weather and the creek stage this coming week, as when Irondequoit Creek, and also Densmore and Tufa, start moving all that snow melt, they can rot the overlaying ice very rapidly, so care is in order at the south end, i.e. off the F+G.

Offline thegoods

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #33 on: Feb 22, 2021, 02:03 PM »
Great advice on watching the rivers.  I fished bay of quinti for a few years and you have to watch whats going on a few days ahead of time if you want to fish the main river. I seen 7 8 inches erode to 3 or 4 overnight because 2 or 3 days prior they had a meltoff.   Current can change things very quickly and if you go down you're done even with a float suit. 

Offline TheManInBlack

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #34 on: Feb 22, 2021, 03:42 PM »
Any many times the run-off erodes the shore ice faster than the main ice.  In years past, I have been out there in May in which you get on the eye just fine in the morning, but by afternoon the shore ice gets sketchy.  Areas north of Snider Island (just north of Sutter's Marina) and south of the condos often have weak spots near shore that pop-up, so proceed with caution once we have rain and warner weather.

Sunday was a little tricky too, as with all the people out this weekend, and all the snow we had Saturday, it covered up a bunch of holes that really didn't refreeze.  I set up in a spot where a hut had been the previous day, and slowly uncovered 10 holes from the previous day that I did not see when I first arrived.  Luckily, I did not step in any of the holes.

Offline KAJABA

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Enjoy life. No one gets out alive.
« Reply #35 on: Mar 07, 2021, 06:57 AM »
Went out Friday from the south end. Had real good ice ran the wheeler out to 40+ feet close to the 104 bridge caught 11 over 9". The wind was miserable but I managed pretty well. Went out Saturday. Took the wheeler out again followed the exact same path as the day before and went through. Took all day to get it back out. Irondequoit creek runoff is undercutting the ice and making it pretty thin and soft in spots. Be careful out there.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.