Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: New State record perch  (Read 6609 times)

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
New State record perch
« on: Feb 16, 2019, 09:42 PM »
Anyone see this? It's on the Kabele's Facebook page. That's the only place I have found it doing a Google search.

Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: New State record perch
« Reply #1 on: Feb 16, 2019, 09:44 PM »
16.25" 2lbs 12.5oz.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline Buckshots

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 17, 2019, 06:22 AM »
He caught it out of his own orivate pond.

Offline maddogg

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Feb 17, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Does that even count?

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 17, 2019, 11:38 AM »
Man I wish Iowa would not accept state records from private ponds. Not all do, but some can do things to their ponds to grow large fish that is illegal in public water... feeding fish, vegetation control, structure, buy high end stock to raise, etc. Not that it isnt a huge fish, and a congrats to him.. I just think state records should come from waters in the state that are accessible to everyone.

I mean I have access to ponds that are empty of fish right now. I could buy some florida strain largemouth and hand feed them shad and high protein food every day and have myself a 15lb state record bass in a few years. How is that fair?
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 17, 2019, 03:29 PM »
This thread is off the rails. Sayonara, old friend.

You guys sure get all worked up about 1 ugly fish.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Feb 17, 2019, 03:37 PM »
He caught it out of his own orivate pond.

Not a suprise.....I would have been suprised if it was out of the IGL with all the pressure it gets.

We use to have a pond on one of our rented farms that had great perch and blue gills in it. The land lord let some guys fish it.....they fished out all the perch, and took out the bass.....now it's just stunted gills. Use to catch nice fish.......I should catch some catfish, perch and bass to restock it this summer. Maybe get a pike to clean up the stunted gills.

Offline cropee

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Feb 18, 2019, 06:19 AM »
Whats it any different then buying land feeding / managing deer and claiming a trophy buck.  If it makes you feel good about your award go for it.

Offline KinnickResident

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:09 PM »
Whats it any different then buying land feeding / managing deer and claiming a trophy buck.  If it makes you feel good about your award go for it.
Because deer aren't captive to your land and feeding.

If I put a perch in a private pond it can't jump the fence and migrate 60 miles.

How about an aquarium? Would you recognize a record if I had a bluegill in my 120 gallon aquarium, fed it pellets till it was a state record, and then dropped a line in and caught it?

Offline dcmod25

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Feb 18, 2019, 12:27 PM »
there is no guaranty that a hand fed fish would reach this size! it is a great fish and congrats to the guy that caught it! a once in a lifetime fish for sure!

Offline BigSling

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Feb 23, 2019, 03:07 PM »
I'd be thrilled to catch a perch like that anywhere. However, my opinion would be to have records caught in private waters be their own category (similar to catch & release records). Public vs private bodies of water are simply different.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Feb 23, 2019, 04:43 PM »

You don't own those deer, they can come and go as they please and the neighbors can shoot it during any open season. Fish in a private pond are owned by the land owner, they can't leave and the only people who can catch them are ones with permission by the owner. How can you turn in something owned by someone for a state record is beyond my ability to understand.
Do some searching on a member here called Taxi, he has a fish farm and raises trophy perch in his ponds for taxidermists. He is in Indiana, but what would stop someone from doing the same thing here then turning one in as a state record? He posted a few 16+ inchers in the 2.75-3lb range that he raised.

I fish private ponds sometimes, I love it. Its a chance to fish unpressured fish that havent seen 100 jigs, and they are usually full of nice fish because people aren't keeping every one that's edible. I don't consider those fish in my PB or do any bragging about them because I don't feel its the same as catching a fish from a state owned fishery. I fish a pond every year that is full of 15-17" crappies, thats the majority of what we catch. Catching one 14" fish from a public water is more of an achievement to me than catching 5 of those big ones from that private pond...

That's just me and if someone wants to start a petition or something to show the DNR I'll sign and back it no problem, I don't have the know-how to do that myself.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #12 on: Feb 23, 2019, 05:32 PM »
You don't own those deer, they can come and go as they please and the neighbors can shoot it during any open season. Fish in a private pond are owned by the land owner, they can't leave and the only people who can catch them are ones with permission by the owner. How can you turn in something owned by someone for a state record is beyond my ability to understand.
Do some searching on a member here called Taxi, he has a fish farm and raises trophy perch in his ponds for taxidermists. He is in Indiana, but what would stop someone from doing the same thing here then turning one in as a state record? He posted a few 16+ inchers in the 2.75-3lb range that he raised.

I fish private ponds sometimes, I love it. Its a chance to fish unpressured fish that havent seen 100 jigs, and they are usually full of nice fish because people aren't keeping every one that's edible. I don't consider those fish in my PB or do any bragging about them because I don't feel its the same as catching a fish from a state owned fishery. I fish a pond every year that is full of 15-17" crappies, thats the majority of what we catch. Catching one 14" fish from a public water is more of an achievement to me than catching 5 of those big ones from that private pond...

That's just me and if someone wants to start a petition or something to show the DNR I'll sign and back it no problem, I don't have the know-how to do that myself.

Um.....people raise deer in pens feeding them all kinds of stuff....then sell the deer to outfitters in Texas or anywhere in the country then people with a lot of money pay up and shoot them. Not much different. Life isn't fair, and people with money always have an advantage.

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:35 PM »
Why wouldn't this count. Private waters are usually better; because the general public can't rape and pillage them like all our state waters. Even the iowa great lakes gets over fished and there needs to be more strict regulations with all the people who are fishing now.

Just take the perch fishery on spirit. I dont need to tell anyone how many people fish that lake. You'll never get the jumbo perch back when everyone keeps the 8-9 inch perch.  Btw jumbos are 12 inches or above.

Biggest pet peeves are people keeping small fish, people expecting another fisherman to say where, when, and how you caught fish, people b***hing about the dnr for horrible fishing, and being the only person on the lake and 10 guys show up and have to sit up 10 feet away 

If people want better fishing than get up and do sonething. Start up a club and raise money for stockings, habitat, and lake restorations. Anyone can do it, make an effort. I did the numbers the other day, if all fisherman would add $10 to their fishing licenses for lake restorations it would be 2.3 million dollars. But lets face it if it was voluntary less than 1/4 of us wouldnt do it and would still b***h about bad fishing.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 23, 2019, 07:53 PM »
Some of you guys take this too seriously

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #15 on: Feb 23, 2019, 08:22 PM »
Um.....people raise deer in pens feeding them all kinds of stuff....then sell the deer to outfitters in Texas or anywhere in the country then people with a lot of money pay up and shoot them. Not much different. Life isn't fair, and people with money always have an advantage.

That's true, I know a guy that raises them for market (food). But the post I quoted said buy land and feed or make food plots to grow one, like a ton of people in Iowa do. Same thing for all species of animals really, no different than making a duck club or feeding geese year around to have a good opening day shoot on a farm pond.. or baiting coyotes. But those animals are fair chase, they can leave if they want. I draw my moral line on private ponds and fishing for records.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #16 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:16 PM »
That's true, I know a guy that raises them for market (food). But the post I quoted said buy land and feed or make food plots to grow one, like a ton of people in Iowa do. Same thing for all species of animals really, no different than making a duck club or feeding geese year around to have a good opening day shoot on a farm pond.. or baiting coyotes. But those animals are fair chase, they can leave if they want. I draw my moral line on private ponds and fishing for records.
j

I mean I get it is kinda a B.S. thing I agree.......But not much a guy can do.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #17 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:22 PM »

Just take the perch fishery on spirit. I dont need to tell anyone how many people fish that lake. You'll never get the jumbo perch back when everyone keeps the 8-9 inch perch.  Btw jumbos are 12 inches or above.

Biggest pet peeves are people keeping small fish, people expecting another fisherman to say where, when, and how you caught fish, people b***hing about the dnr for horrible fishing, and being the only person on the lake and 10 guys show up and have to sit up 10 feet away 

If people want better fishing than get up and do sonething. Start up a club and raise money for stockings, habitat, and lake restorations. Anyone can do it, make an effort. I did the numbers the other day, if all fisherman would add $10 to their fishing licenses for lake restorations it would be 2.3 million dollars. But lets face it if it was voluntary less than 1/4 of us wouldnt do it and would still b***h about bad fishing.

It would be nice to see a $10 increase for fishing, then see lakes like silver at lake park dredged and stocked better.

I've been extremely impressed with what the DNR has done with storm lake. What will be interesting to see is if the water clarity improves with the zebra mussels in the lake to the point that the lake actually sees some weed growth.....it be cool to see some perch in decent numbers in that lake.

Offline Seamonkey84

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Feb 23, 2019, 09:45 PM »
Wow that’s a fat perch. Here in Maine, someone just set a new record too,
16.5” 1.96lb https://www.iceshanty.com/ice_fishing/index.php?topic=368635.0

Offline rpallen

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Feb 23, 2019, 10:54 PM »
It would be nice to see a $10 increase for fishing, then see lakes like silver at lake park dredged and stocked better.

I've been extremely impressed with what the DNR has done with storm lake. What will be interesting to see is if the water clarity improves with the zebra mussels in the lake to the point that the lake actually sees some weed growth.....it be cool to see some perch in decent numbers in that lake.

Only way to get some serious projects get done!  Guys have to be willing to work with the dnr and pay a little more to get so much more.

Offline Ice_Fly_Guy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 24, 2019, 04:33 AM »

I've been extremely impressed with what the DNR has done with storm lake.

What has the DNR done to Storm Lake?

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #21 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:20 AM »
What has the DNR done to Storm Lake?

Well maybe not specifically the DNR. I was speaking in a general terms.

I should have said that I was impressed with the management, stocking, and building of the Marina at Storm, the lake restoration/dredging has seemed to improve the fishery a lot.

Lost Island is another lake that  is starting to improve, but it's been a pretty rocky path to get it that way.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:26 AM »
Thread stealers: Agronomist, rpallen, blakemohr, kevin23. If I was Homer J Simpson,  you would all be on The Revenge List right below The Bill of Rights and Fat Free Lard.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #23 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:32 AM »
Thread stealers: Agronomist, rpallen, blakemohr, kevin23. If I was Homer J Simpson,  you would all be on The Revenge List right below The Bill of Rights and Fat Free Lard.

Lol.....well not much else can get talked about when the Record came out of a private pond by the bait shop.....I wonder if all the dead bait gets disposed of in that pond.

Come on Mr. seaguar....lets talk about dredging silver lake.....your close and mush fish that lake. It turns out the Waldo's, just would be nice to introduce some structure and depth to it. When they fixed the damn on it a few years back the depth gained another 2-3ft.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:50 AM »
Storm lake is great. I hope anyone who tries to change Silver Lake falls in and gets leeches on their sack

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #25 on: Feb 24, 2019, 10:53 AM »
Storm lake is great. I hope anyone who tries to change Silver Lake falls in and gets leeches on their sack

Oh it's coming.....they finished a study just this fall.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #26 on: Feb 24, 2019, 12:19 PM »

The thread is about the new state record perch, we are talking about it... Unfortunately we are free to share our opinions on here even though you started the thread.  ;) ;D
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Feb 24, 2019, 01:32 PM »
The thread is about the new state record perch, we are talking about it... Unfortunately we are free to share our opinions on here even though you started the thread.  ;) ;D

No, you are not. When Squirrel sees your posts, they gone.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Feb 24, 2019, 02:15 PM »
No, you are not. When Squirrel sees your posts, they gone.

I doubt it, but I'll ask Ross real quick to check it and see.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #29 on: Feb 24, 2019, 02:18 PM »
Umm......do we have a thread Nazi developing.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.