Author Topic: Ion Alpha 8" Steel Flighting vs Composite  (Read 2119 times)

Offline RD79

• Team IceShanty Regular
Ion Alpha 8" Steel Flighting vs Composite
« on: Dec 15, 2022, 02:26 PM »
What are your thoughts on the new Ion Alpha with either the steel flighting or the composite?  I am currently running the Gen 1 Ion X with no issues other than I broke the cast aluminum blade ring last winter re-opening holes in my shack.  Thinking about upgrading to the Alpha, but not sure if the price premium for composite is worth it just for the little bit of weight savings.

Offline FreshwaterPhil

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • FreshwaterPhil.com - Montreal fishing
Re: Ion Alpha 8" Steel Flighting vs Composite
« Reply #1 on: Dec 15, 2022, 08:24 PM »
I have the g2 with composite. Great for getting rid of ice buildup, and extremely light.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Dec 15, 2022, 09:15 PM »
What are your thoughts on the new Ion Alpha with either the steel flighting or the composite?  I am currently running the Gen 1 Ion X with no issues other than I broke the cast aluminum blade ring last winter re-opening holes in my shack.  Thinking about upgrading to the Alpha, but not sure if the price premium for composite is worth it just for the little bit of weight savings.

Anymore, I wouldn't bother with a steel flight. The composite augars are so much nicer. the flights don't have paint chip off. They don't get bent or warpped. Have the center points...don't rust up.......

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #3 on: Dec 16, 2022, 07:57 AM »
Anymore, I wouldn't bother with a steel flight. The composite augars are so much nicer. the flights don't have paint chip off. They don't get bent or warpped. Have the center points...don't rust up.......

X2 agreed ..
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #4 on: Dec 16, 2022, 08:48 AM »
X2 agreed ..

I've been using this for a few years now on my metal augers. Good stuff.

Check this out! https://a.co/d/feWwld9
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #5 on: Dec 16, 2022, 04:56 PM »
I've been using this for a few years now on my metal augers. Good stuff.

Check this out! https://a.co/d/feWwld9

Oh I've repainted the metal hand augers they work fine. It's just nice that the composite augers don't really need any of those things done, and continue to look new even after heavy use. 

Haven't been able to Switch from my old trusty 6in metal laser bit yet.....thing just works and has stayed in great conddition.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.