Author Topic: Chasing Lakers Feb 7th?  (Read 4103 times)

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Chasing Lakers Feb 7th?
« Reply #30 on: Feb 06, 2015, 10:57 AM »
Unfortunately, I can no longer make it on the 7th.  However, I fished Granby yesterday.  I went with a friend of mine that's new to ice fishing.  I would say he had a little beginners luck!  These pictures may sway your decisions.

36"

Release

26"
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #31 on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:08 AM »
Wow, very nice fish Vex!  Looks like you guys had a great day.  Sorry to hear tomorrow is out for you, but I'd definitely be willing to meet up on Granby another time soon.

I think I'm sticking with WF tomorrow, though.  For me, without a snowmobile or ATV, foot access on Granby just doesn't cut it --- can't make it out to the good spots.
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #32 on: Feb 06, 2015, 11:42 AM »
Wow, very nice fish Vex!  Looks like you guys had a great day.  Sorry to hear tomorrow is out for you, but I'd definitely be willing to meet up on Granby another time soon.

I think I'm sticking with WF tomorrow, though.  For me, without a snowmobile or ATV, foot access on Granby just doesn't cut it --- can't make it out to the good spots.
What's the I 70 conditions/ weather looking like tomorrow?  What time are you heading out?

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #33 on: Feb 06, 2015, 12:00 PM »
What's the I 70 conditions/ weather looking like tomorrow?  What time are you heading out?

Should be good weather -- no snow, in the 40s all the way to Parshall.  I'm hoping to get on I-70 by 5am, which should put us at WF around 7am.  I was thinking to park at the East boat ramp off Hwy 341.  Anyone have other suggestions?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #34 on: Feb 06, 2015, 02:06 PM »
I'm heading up now gonna try the fork today than  wolford tomorrow morning may head back to the fork in afternoon

Offline Vex-Um

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #35 on: Feb 07, 2015, 08:10 PM »
Well?! How did it go boys?
Rippin' Lips and Jerkin' Jaws

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #36 on: Feb 07, 2015, 09:44 PM »
Well, it turned out to be a great day at William's Fork.  Fished with Fishslap and superp13, and we got on the ice at 7:30am.  Weather was great, partly cloudy with times of almost "hot" temps in the 40s.  Action started off slow, we marked many fish in various locations from 20-80 FOW, but Shaun (Fishslap) only managed to hook up with one.  Since we didn't have a topo map with us, we did a lot of drilling and exploring, until around 10:30am when we found the fish.  Action continued for several hours, and I think together we totaled around 20 fish.  My fish were caught on white tube jigs, white curly tail grubs, and I even had my first success using a PK flutter fish tipped with shiner heads.  Nothing huge, but my biggest of the day was a nice 19" fatty, that came home with me.  I roasted it tonight in olive oil, and I'm planning to make fish cakes with the meat tomorrow.  Overall, it was a great day to chase some lakers.  Thanks for meeting up, guys!

Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline fishslap

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #37 on: Feb 07, 2015, 09:49 PM »
It was a good day on the ice.

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #38 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:07 PM »
Nice I fished the fork from 3-5 we got around 15 lakers average size for most but I did loose s big one right away

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #39 on: Feb 07, 2015, 10:45 PM »
Nice I fished the fork from 3-5 we got around 15 lakers average size for most but I did loose s big one right away
Fishslap had a big one on too, but lost it on the way up.  How was Wolford?
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #40 on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:03 PM »
Fishslap had a big one on too, but lost it on the way up.  How was Wolford?
we did good over at wolford 9 silver kokes lost several also got some decent bows

Offline Lip ripr

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #41 on: Feb 07, 2015, 11:11 PM »
Congrats on the kokes!! How was the ice? See any sleds or quads out there. Sorry to jump in on the thread.

Offline Catfishking

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #42 on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:20 AM »
The ice was fine in most places except near the dam there was a few spots to avoid and yes I saw 3 quads and a few snowmobiles

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #43 on: Feb 08, 2015, 01:38 PM »
Glad you guys got into some! Looks like the snow on top still isn't too bad.

Offline TimK

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #44 on: Feb 08, 2015, 02:34 PM »
Glad you guys got some fish, bigassbassman I sent you a PM, I believe I crossed paths with your group yesterday AM, I had the blaze orange RMEF hat on and a clam flip over.  I sent you a PM but I dunno if it went thru.
Friends don't let Friends use Tip-Ups

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #45 on: Feb 08, 2015, 05:21 PM »
Glad you guys got some fish, bigassbassman I sent you a PM, I believe I crossed paths with your group yesterday AM, I had the blaze orange RMEF hat on and a clam flip over.  I sent you a PM but I dunno if it went thru.

Nice to meet you, Tim --- got your PM.  Yeah, many of those fish right on the bottom weren't interested.  I think some of those marks on the bottom are suckers coming in to investigate.  Hope to see you around on the ice!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #46 on: Feb 08, 2015, 09:53 PM »

Lake trout fish cakes --- thanks to Fishslap for the idea!  Ate two tonight and froze the rest. They're tasty!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #47 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:14 AM »
How about you or fish slap  posting the recipe, those look tasty! Might be the only way to eat Lakers other than smoking  ;) Did you guys start out of the East or West boat ramp lot?

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #48 on: Feb 09, 2015, 11:38 AM »
Hey, Johnny - we started at the East ramp.  For the recipe, I just searched online, and found a fish cake recipe.  Here's what I did:

I had one 19" laker from Saturday, gutted but whole -- brushed with olive oil (inside and out), salt and pepper, cooked uncovered in oven at 350F for 30-45 minutes, or until meat flakes off.  Cooled, pulled meat off the bones and kept in fridge overnight.  Next day, I made the cakes:
Mix in bowl:
1 egg
1/2 cup finely chopped onion
2 Tbsp. brown mustard
1 Tbsp. lemon juice
2 tsp. fresh chopped parsley (or you could use dried flakes)
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp. white pepper

Then, stir in cooked boneless fish chunks from previous day, and add enough bread crumbs to bind it together. I think it was around 1/2 cup or so.  Just keep adding until you can form the cakes easily.  Dip each formed cake in egg wash, then coat with corn flake crumbs.  Makes 6 large cakes.  I fried two in olive oil, about 5 minutes per side, or until golden brown.  I froze the other four in wax paper, but I'm not exactly sure how I'll cook them when I bring them out of the freezer.  Either bake or fry -- not sure which will work better for frozen cakes.  I thought they were great.  Not fishy at all, and had a great flavor.  Hope it helps!
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline stinkyfingers

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #49 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:45 PM »
That's a nice recipe. I often don't eat trout cause I've just eaten too many over the years but I could sure fold in a couple of those laker cakes. I know you're not a big fan of Pike but I'd bet if you cooked them up that way they'd go down easily.
We're born, we live for a while, and then we die.  Sounds like a good reason to go ice fishing.
                                                               Stinky

Offline Sawtooth

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #50 on: Feb 09, 2015, 01:55 PM »
That recipe looks fabulous.  I hope I can nab a few to try it out.
There is no such thing as bad weather - only bad clothing.

Offline Bigassbassman

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • New home, MA-->CO
« Reply #51 on: Feb 09, 2015, 06:22 PM »
That's a nice recipe. I often don't eat trout cause I've just eaten too many over the years but I could sure fold in a couple of those laker cakes. I know you're not a big fan of Pike but I'd bet if you cooked them up that way they'd go down easily.

Good point -- definitely worth trying with pike.   ;)
Flags up, gentlemen!!!

Offline JohnnyO19

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #52 on: Feb 10, 2015, 04:04 PM »
That looks pretty good, might be worth keeping a Laker next time out to try. Thanks for sharing the recipe!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.