Author Topic: Best jighead and bait  (Read 3804 times)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Live fishing Die fishing
Best jighead and bait
« on: Sep 26, 2020, 05:13 PM »
What is the best jighead and bait for pike,walleyes panfish ect

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
Re: Best jighead and bait
« Reply #1 on: Sep 27, 2020, 09:03 AM »
Based on your previous posts, I have to say there is no true "universal" lure or tackle setup. It always sounds good when folks ask what you're fishing for and the reply is "Whatever's biting". Reality is if you want to catch panfish, tackle to optimize panfish and you'll do much better than if you were tackled up for walleye, bass or pike. Sure, you'll catch the occasional non-panfish but not many and, with pike, the opportunity to actually land them is greatly diminished. Flip the coin and say you're going for pike. You'll certainly do better with stouter tackle and larger baits. Might catch an occasional nice walleye but your opportunity to catch panfish is almost zero. That's why there are so many tackle and lure options available. They offer the opportunity to fine tune presentations based on species and thereby increase success for the targets. As a rule the more you fine tune toward a species the better you'll do.

Is there a setup that "can" appeal to everything from bluegills to pike? Sort of. Thing is you'll be trading a swing at all for diminished success for all. An in-between set up won't attract the most pike possible nor the most panfish possible. Truth is if you go that route you could sit all day with nary a nibble while many others around you are taking advantage of a hot pannie or walleye or pike bite by optimizing their presentations.

I know this won't likely change your path but I think it needs to be said. Now I've said it, I'll restate my suggestion I made to you earlier: Wanna take a swing at all? I'd be into a 1/16 oz. jig or spoon tipped with a small to medium fathead. You'd have a decent chance for perch, crappies or 'eyes with bluegills and pike falling a bit outside of that. Not to say you'd never catch a 'gill or pike but not too likely. You could bend the base presentation a bit by subbing waxies or spike to better appeal to gills, crappies and small perch or go to a large fathead/small shiner to slide the target to walleye or pike.

To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Sep 27, 2020, 12:05 PM »
What brand jighead  in what color

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Sep 27, 2020, 12:15 PM »
Based on your previous posts, I have to say there is no true "universal" lure or tackle setup. It always sounds good when folks ask what you're fishing for and the reply is "Whatever's biting". Reality is if you want to catch panfish, tackle to optimize panfish and you'll do much better than if you were tackled up for walleye, bass or pike. Sure, you'll catch the occasional non-panfish but not many and, with pike, the opportunity to actually land them is greatly diminished. Flip the coin and say you're going for pike. You'll certainly do better with stouter tackle and larger baits. Might catch an occasional nice walleye but your opportunity to catch panfish is almost zero. That's why there are so many tackle and lure options available. They offer the opportunity to fine tune presentations based on species and thereby increase success for the targets. As a rule the more you fine tune toward a species the better you'll do.

Is there a setup that "can" appeal to everything from bluegills to pike? Sort of. Thing is you'll be trading a swing at all for diminished success for all. An in-between set up won't attract the most pike possible nor the most panfish possible. Truth is if you go that route you could sit all day with nary a nibble while many others around you are taking advantage of a hot pannie or walleye or pike bite by optimizing their presentations.

I know this won't likely change your path but I think it needs to be said. Now I've said it, I'll restate my suggestion I made to you earlier: Wanna take a swing at all? I'd be into a 1/16 oz. jig or spoon tipped with a small to medium fathead. You'd have a decent chance for perch, crappies or 'eyes with bluegills and pike falling a bit outside of that. Not to say you'd never catch a 'gill or pike but not too likely. You could bend the base presentation a bit by subbing waxies or spike to better appeal to gills, crappies and small perch or go to a large fathead/small shiner to slide the target to walleye or pike.

Minnows are expensive already Spend alot for minnows on tip ups

Offline jiggalo

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Another great day to be alive!
« Reply #4 on: Sep 27, 2020, 12:28 PM »
DuPont Spinners catch everything that swims ;)
Every day is a good day it's just some days are better than others

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Sep 27, 2020, 12:31 PM »
Thx for the tip ( i will get them if more people reply and most agrees)

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Sep 27, 2020, 12:39 PM »
Yes sir the are a killer

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Sep 27, 2020, 01:19 PM »
Yes sir the are a killer

Grammar police your we have a search warrant because you said the instead of they(joking)

Thanks you now i will definitely start to search

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #8 on: Sep 27, 2020, 01:31 PM »
How do you ice fish with a inline spinner

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #9 on: Sep 27, 2020, 01:41 PM »
How do you ice fish with a inline spinner
cast it underwater

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Sep 27, 2020, 02:07 PM »
How do you get distance  without pole hitting ice or shanty

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #11 on: Sep 27, 2020, 04:09 PM »
True, but the dang things are noisy.  :o ;D
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Sep 27, 2020, 04:27 PM »
And to be a smart alic carp wont eat them

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #13 on: Sep 27, 2020, 04:57 PM »
Grammar police your we have a search warrant because you said the instead of they(joking)
[/quote
Remember some of us are old , and not English majors, 😉 back when life was fun and not so hurried , and don’t forget your punctuation (joking) besides here in NY not much beats a jigging rap for perch and eyes

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:11 PM »
[/quote
Remember some of us are old , and not English majors, 😉 back when life was fun and not so hurried , and don’t forget your punctuation (joking) besides here in NY not much beats a jigging rap for perch and eyes
What is the best jigging rap and what size and color (thx for accidentally answering a question i had)
Now i got setup planned
Jighead and plastic
Jigging rap
Jigging spoon
So was wondering what is best for rap and best jighead and plastic to go with it

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #15 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:12 PM »
 I don’t do many things by accident but after 40 + years  learning the lakes I fish I manage a meal or 2
 Soft water I tie my own patterns for eyes and perch

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #16 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:29 PM »
I don’t do many things by accident but after 40 + years  learning the lakes I fish I manage a meal or 2
 Soft water I tie my own patterns for eyes and perch

Know people who do well with jigs
People do well with jigging spoons
People do well with jigging raps
Researching the best of the best because not catching a fish jigging for 2 seasons is annoying and am not doing it for a 3rd season

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #17 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:33 PM »

Learn your prey and you will catch more fish ,(fact)

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:38 PM »
If I wasn’t travel restricted go to 1000 islands have a hard enough time not catching them when targetting other fish (8 in perch on 3/4 oz daredevle)
But perch around me are hard to get because pike, pressure, steel leader ect people around here are very vague so asking best of best will usually give answers of to experiment with

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #19 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:42 PM »
Learn your prey and you will catch more fish ,(fact)

Knowing

THE FISH... Species habits and preferences
        +
LOCATION ..depth ..contours etc
        +
PRESENTATION  ( LURES & BAITS ) 
        +
TIMING..time of season/year
         =
SUCCESS
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #20 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:52 PM »
WATCH this video..and purchase In-Fishermans Ice Secrets book ..lots of great insights ..

Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #21 on: Sep 27, 2020, 05:58 PM »
Knowing

THE FISH... Species habits and preferences
        +
LOCATION ..depth ..contours etc
        +
PRESENTATION  ( LURES & BAITS ) 
        +
TIMING..time of season/year
         =
SUCCESS
👍🎣

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #22 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:05 PM »
The specific info of lure is needed

Think of a murder of someone who was setup to look like a suicide if the victim has a gunshot in their head holding a gun and a suicide note it would be a suicide until the autopsy reveals the victim was poisoned which leads too  the Poisoned drink. Finding either the fingerprints or whoever obtained the poisoned (which represents the specifications) and knows how to use it what im looking for 

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #23 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:12 PM »

Playing clue instead of fishing would be much more rewarding
 🤪

Offline esox_xtm

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • It's Showtime!
« Reply #24 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:14 PM »
Sigh... there are no "magic" (read sure-fire) lures just as there are no secret spots (anymore). You are chasing a unicorn.
To fish or not to fish? That's a stupid question!

“Imagination is the only weapon in the war against reality.”― Lewis Carroll

Offline Reinert

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:16 PM »
Know people who do well with jigs
People do well with jigging spoons
People do well with jigging raps
Researching the best of the best because not catching a fish jigging for 2 seasons is annoying and am not doing it for a 3rd season
I'd be spending more time on YouTube  and looking at lake maps you will  be fishing, lots of great info on both

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #26 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:17 PM »
The best lure if used at the wrong time/size/color or the wrong jigging cadence will have poor results . Watch that video it will get you the results you are tying to achieve .

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #27 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:20 PM »
Its like deciding to use a gold vs silver when the water is clear but weather is cloudy or vise versa is best comparison as both will work but which will work better and there is no distinction that proves what will or wont hold fish its 4ft everywhere where its safe and just weedy

Offline Esox fisherman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:23 PM »
Ive tried all sorts of techniques from YouTube and it never works Its local info from forums that have been a real make or break deal. Its details like this that are going to attract the school towards you rather then the guy next to you

Online filetandrelease

• Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #29 on: Sep 27, 2020, 06:28 PM »
 We learn more by doing , And experimenting , there is no all knowing ice or soft water guide , don’t be afraid to think out of the box , best advise an old timer can give , I guess some think we were handed the Trident

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.