Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Okoboji  (Read 5335 times)

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
Okoboji
« on: Dec 31, 2016, 06:33 PM »
Heading to Okoboji for the first time ever on the 20th of January. Not asking for any secrets spots but any information would be very much appreciated. I believe we are staying on the west side. Looking to catch anything but if we got into some walleyes i wouldn't complain!! Thanks in advance. PM me if you want.

Offline Fish Butcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Okoboji
« Reply #1 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:11 AM »
Try Spirit Lake. Ask at Kabeles Bait.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #2 on: Jan 01, 2017, 10:51 AM »
Heading to Okoboji for the first time ever on the 20th of January. Not asking for any secrets spots but any information would be very much appreciated. I believe we are staying on the west side. Looking to catch anything but if we got into some walleyes i wouldn't complain!! Thanks in advance. PM me if you want.

For perch go to Spirit Lake Pull out to the middle of the lake in 20 foot of water. Drop a line and wait for schools to swim through the area. If your looking for walleye get shallow by the break lines, or rocky points towards night or after dusk.

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:15 AM »
Stop at Kabeles in Spirit lake for your bait and they will put you on the fish.   Best place to stay and bait and tackle shop in the IGL's!

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Jan 01, 2017, 11:26 AM »
Thanks for the help, we will be getting our bait from Kabeles for sure.

Offline Bates

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 01, 2017, 03:22 PM »
You don't need to go to the middle of the lake right now, this is still early ice and the perch can be anywhere. I got a limit of nice perch in 8-10 ft of water this am with my 3 eyes. You don't need to follow the crowds either,  west side by Marble looked very busy when I left, don't follow the crowds. In a few weeks things may change except don't follow the crowds. This is only my opinion.

Offline jstfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Jan 01, 2017, 04:58 PM »
What's the average size of perch out of spirit ?

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Jan 01, 2017, 07:49 PM »
A lot can change in 3 weeks.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 12, 2017, 12:30 PM »
Is it worth fishing at night? By night I mean late night or over night.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Jan 12, 2017, 01:37 PM »
For crappies and walleyes, yes it is
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 12, 2017, 03:33 PM »
Thanks, we are only going for the weekend so we plan on fishing the most we can while we are there.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Jan 12, 2017, 09:08 PM »
It's really really cold at night on the ice. I would fish an hour after sun down and than find someplace warm. If you are an experienced night fisher it can be effective but it can be really cold and boring

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 13, 2017, 08:51 AM »
I wouldn't say we're experienced but we're not beginners by no means. I have a nice hut and heaters so I hope that helps. We are also staying in a house on the lake so that helps if we get cold. By the looks of the map we are staying in Brown's Bay by Terrace Park. We want to stay away from the crowds so we may stay in the bay for the first night and then venture off the next morning. Just looking at the map Lime Kiln Point looks good but I have never been up there so I'm just going off the map. Once again I don't like asking for anyone's secret spot so we will just be ready to move and drill lots of holes to try and figure it out the best we can, just excited to try a new body of water.

Offline brittlab

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • HARD WATER ROCKS
« Reply #13 on: Jan 13, 2017, 10:28 AM »
Limits of fish are being caught in millers bay, the bar in Emerson bay and up on the north end off Triboji access.

See you on the frozen pond.......Mike

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 13, 2017, 11:28 AM »
Thanks for the help!

Offline BigSiouxRat

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #15 on: Jan 13, 2017, 12:50 PM »
Limits of fish are being caught in millers bay, the bar in Emerson bay and up on the north end off Triboji access.
I usually fish Spirit and am not very familiar with West O.  This isn't the first time I've heard mention of the "bar" in Emerson Bay.  I looked at the contour map but wasn't sure what to look for.  Is it the shallower water at the mouth of the bay almost into the main lake?  Thanks in advance.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 13, 2017, 04:42 PM »
Yes, exactly that.

Offline blacktruck121212

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 14, 2017, 01:57 PM »
Looking to get a ATV for the trip, I'm assuming the ice is thick enough but can't find any ice condition report as of yet. Also is there a place to rent one around there? I can get one at home but I would rather not haul it up if I didn't have to. Thanks again for all your help, I owe some people some drinks next weekend!

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #18 on: Jan 14, 2017, 04:28 PM »
You don't need an atv. You can park within a couple hundred yards or drive out. It would take more time to mess with it than it would save you.

Offline Outdoor_Joe_26

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 17, 2017, 06:38 PM »
Kicking around the idea of going up that weekend too.  I'm usually the guy that "should have been here last week"...My main goal would be to ice my first walleye something that seems to elude me in my neck of the woods.  Is it worth the 3 hour drive with rain in the forecast?  Temps look decent, I'd imagine the fishing is better on cloudy days just not sure if the rain would shut them down?  Never ice fished up there, but I'm getting burned out down here with dink gills and bass.  Thinking maybe hit east first for some yellow bass and west for gills/walleye.  Who knows might switch up and try for northern too.  Quad is in the shop so I'd be on foot.  99% CNR but wouldn't mind some yellows or an eye for a meal. 
God is Great, Beer is Good, and People are Crazy!<br /><br />[IMG]

Offline Clunk

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #20 on: Jan 18, 2017, 11:39 AM »
Big Spirit is HOT right now with the Walleye bite, stop at Kabeles bait shop in Spirit Lake Iowa, and they will put you on Fish, they also have Lodging available if needed, plus will clean and vacuum seal your fish..  Call the bait shop for availability on rooms.. They are Clean and Very Nice...
The Customer service is Top Notch, they have everything you need... ;D
Maybe a rookie at this game but willing to travel for the BITE....
Jiffy Pro4 8 in auger Clam Yukon Marcum LX 5 Muck boots. Xwife got the 4wheeler so I'm dragging it if I cant drive on the lake....

Offline DHV

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 19, 2017, 08:45 PM »
Just curious if there has been much of a yellow bass bite on East Okoboji? Thanks.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 19, 2017, 11:36 PM »
Just curious if there has been much of a yellow bass bite on East Okoboji? Thanks.

When does it stop? wish they'd get a disease and die off like the white bass.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 20, 2017, 02:26 AM »
Thumbuddy's kwabby.

Offline LarryClutch

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Go Big or Go Home
« Reply #24 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:52 AM »
Kicking around the idea of going up that weekend too.  I'm usually the guy that "should have been here last week"...My main goal would be to ice my first walleye something that seems to elude me in my neck of the woods.  Is it worth the 3 hour drive with rain in the forecast?  Temps look decent, I'd imagine the fishing is better on cloudy days just not sure if the rain would shut them down?  Never ice fished up there, but I'm getting burned out down here with dink gills and bass.  Thinking maybe hit east first for some yellow bass and west for gills/walleye.  Who knows might switch up and try for northern too.  Quad is in the shop so I'd be on foot.  99% CNR but wouldn't mind some yellows or an eye for a meal.

Joe,
   Get up there!  I fished Spirit last year and pulled my otter around by hand.  I'll text you with some locations.  A crew from my town is heading up there today if they get on them I will text you their locations.

Offline IAcrappieguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 20, 2017, 09:35 AM »
I am also possibly heading to Spirit this weekend. Or at least the area. Any tips on a good bite would be awesome! Thanks!

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #26 on: Jan 20, 2017, 07:43 PM »
Thumbuddy's kwabby.

Not crabby, just hate the invasive yellow bass.They just compete with and reduce the populations of more desired game fish. Ask the DNR what they think of them.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 20, 2017, 08:11 PM »
Is there any clear water anywhere? I have been doing good on West all over but the water is dirty everywhere. Today I did good in Emerson but I prefer to do my sorting before I have to reel them in.

Offline Badnews21

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 24, 2017, 04:13 PM »
big group of us heading there the 10th-12th.  Weather looks to be perfect out there not getting above freezing.   hopefully the reports keep coming in even though I know 2 weeks from now things change.  Will be staying update on here!!!

Offline crappie98

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #29 on: Jan 24, 2017, 05:28 PM »
Just got home today from out there.  Spent 3 days perch and eye fishing.  Bite was great.  Approaches on the lakes are starting to get kind of crappy and this snow coming up to 14 inches out there will really change things.  From the accesses to the pressure on the ice, which will effect the fish as well.  If you have facebook just check out Kabeles Trading post and lodge page everyday.  They keep the info up on the bite and the access to the lakes.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.