Ice Fishing Iowa board sponsored by

Author Topic: Red Rock  (Read 7055 times)

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
Red Rock
« on: Dec 02, 2016, 12:24 PM »
Does Red Rock ever get thick enough to ice fish even in the coldest of winters? I've been told by several to stay off it unless I'm fishing the bays/arms or Roberts creek due to current. Anyone have experience? 
I love big honkers! Giant Canadian etc...

Offline HANDLINE2

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Red Rock
« Reply #1 on: Dec 02, 2016, 01:27 PM »
When we were down there a couple weeks ago we talked to an ole boy at the Whitebreast boat landing and he told us they ice fish a lot off of the points of land around the bay there, which I didn't know, sounds interesting to check that out sometime.
It's mind over matter, if you don't have a mind it don't matter.

Offline drewgills

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 03, 2016, 04:22 PM »
Yes it gets fished on ice at whitebreastisis,  prob not this year.  Even with solid ice I've seen some nasty heaves opened up down there . Thaw and current to blame, but it can be good if you find fish.
Hard charger !

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Dec 05, 2016, 03:30 PM »
Fished Saturday 12/3 until about 2:00. Did well for a first timer. The bite was not fast and furious, but those that did were quality fish. Was a bit nervous with all the slugs flying  :o

Offline artfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:31 PM »
Last year reports were not good for ice fishing Red Rock. The water level dropped below the ice leaving a air gap. Not safe at all. Previous years I have ice fished Whitebreast and the Marina area with good ice. I'm hoping for better ice this year as I love those big slabs. Good luck and stay safe!

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Dec 06, 2016, 05:51 PM »
Went to Red Rock well Roberts creek once last year. I think the ice was safe for a like a week? Went on a Saturday hoping to get into some fish and I did. But holy s$$$ was it sketchy. I have a lot of respect for the ice and this lake is one of the closer lakes so I hope it is fishable this year. Be safe out there.

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 19, 2016, 03:09 PM »
Any foot traffic in the Whitebreast area? Has to be very close

Offline Jynx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Dec 19, 2016, 06:47 PM »
There were 2 mahaska co. Boys out on it Sunday almost all day, don't know what the ice was like or the bite.  Into comes from a friend who lives where he can see the lake out his kitchen.

Offline teamhardcorefishing_cc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Yea fish on
« Reply #8 on: Dec 22, 2016, 03:13 AM »
Any updates on ice conditions at Robert's?

Offline Bruiser

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Dec 29, 2016, 03:01 PM »
Any updates on Red Rock or Roberts Creek ice conditions?

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Dec 29, 2016, 06:45 PM »
I fished Roberts the last two days we were on 6.5 inches just have to get on on the right side of the boat ramp still drill plenty of holes
Red screens and tight lines!!😀😀

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 03, 2017, 08:59 PM »
Anyone been on whitebreast? Was there on Friday didn't drill but walked out a ways and it was solid .  Seen three guys heading out from the boat ramp to.  Wanna try this weekend but don't wanna waste the one day I have searching for fish when I have other spots I can catch fish

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 04, 2017, 12:18 PM »
I'd also like to know about WB. Either people are tight lipped, or no one on this site fishes that area  ???  solid 2 hour drive for me, so I suppose I shall find a bait shop to call for info. Only way I'll go is if I can drive my wheeler out. Thanks to anyone who replies with info  :thumbsup:

Offline Jynx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 04, 2017, 03:26 PM »
Good luck, Roberts creek had 5" on sunday, and it got rained on monday, and didn't freeze monday night.  It might be walkable, but I wouldn't be putting a machine on it yet, that's for sure...

Offline mattia

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #14 on: Jan 04, 2017, 07:56 PM »
Fished WB Sunday 1/1 for a few hours, tough bite, most of the ice was 7 inches with some potholes that were bubbling.

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:00 PM »
I was as excited as any to see it get locked up so early in the year, however last week whitebreast creek was open and running water.  I have driven by and seen a couple small portables on WB a few weeks ago and was thinking i would be checking it out soon. Since then its rained significantly twice and open running water on whitebreast creek and teter creek. Its not a tight lipped thing with me its a common sense thing. Keep in mind its the largest lake in Iowa and its running the Des Moines river through it as well as every other creek in central Iowa. If this current weather pattern holds im still probably a week away from even driving the 6 miles from my house to even check the ice thickness. My best advice if you feel like you absolutely have to be on it is.... Wear your spikes, dont go alone, wear flotation, bring a rope and have a WILL!!!  That ice can vary GREATLY in thickness due to the currents.

Offline sonar

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 04, 2017, 10:19 PM »
Been in WB twice this year, not much going on yet.  Hopefully in a week or two

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #17 on: Jan 05, 2017, 11:01 AM »
Sincere THANK YOU for the updates gents!

Offline IceAddict87

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #18 on: Jan 05, 2017, 12:34 PM »
Saw a couple guys fishing on Roberts last night. Open water in the bay just north of where everyone usually fishes.

Offline Jynx

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #19 on: Jan 05, 2017, 07:03 PM »
The geese, sucks and swans have been keeping it open

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 09, 2017, 08:17 PM »
Checked WB Sunday and it is probably walkable, I had heard of as little as 3" and as much as 7". The hole i drilled had just over 5". The water was very dirty probably due to the rains and creek being open a week ago. I wont take my ATV out on WB until i am a little happier with the consistency of the ice thickness. I'm still waiting this week, too much good pond fishing that is much safer and probably better....

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #21 on: Jan 09, 2017, 09:48 PM »
It was 9-10 when I was there Saturday

Offline teamhardcorefishing_cc

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Wiggle wiggle wiggle...Yea fish on
« Reply #22 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:05 AM »
Been out at Robert's twice now and did really good. Find the brush pile and your good to go.

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Jan 10, 2017, 01:59 PM »
It was 9-10 when I was there Saturday
Consistantly 9-10? If so, I'm not worried about ice as I am muddy water. I'm going Saturday and really hoping this rain didn't crash my plans  :-\

Offline Shack man Shoney

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Jan 10, 2017, 04:44 PM »
Consistent????? Who used that word??? I have heard of anywhere from 3"-7" before i went to check for myself. I checked an area close by where i like to start and had 5". Plenty more rain today in Knoxville.

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #25 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:28 PM »
Consistantly 9-10? If so, I'm not worried about ice as I am muddy water. I'm going Saturday and really hoping this rain didn't crash my plans  :-\

The places I went we're didn't go all over.. Not sure what the rain did doubt it hurt the ice to bad but didn't help the water clarity any I'm sure

Offline Welch251

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #26 on: Jan 10, 2017, 09:30 PM »
Roberts was the same ... Solid 10"

Offline artfish

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Jan 14, 2017, 03:20 PM »
Fished Whitebreast a few weeks ago. Had 5-6" of good ice. The water was tainted and the bite was poor. I have never done well on tainted water. Caught a 3" crappie off a point.

Offline MCNorris

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #28 on: Jan 14, 2017, 09:17 PM »
Fished whitebreast for a few hours today, ice was around 10" where we were at. Did pretty good in about 12 FOW got enough keepers for a meal lol. Tons of small crappie, we hardly moved around because we didn't go 15 minutes without a bite. First time I didn't bring any of the kids this year and they missed out. Also kinda funny we only caught crappie and some guys showed up about 20 feet from us and they caught quite a few gills I was kind of surprised, great day for it though!

Offline Fedexguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #29 on: Jan 16, 2017, 12:10 PM »
Made the trip last Thursday and was rewarded with 10" of ice everywhere we drilled. ***EXCEPTION*** open water around the island in front of whitebreast boat launch. Did see a side X side driving out in the whitebreast area. Fishing was great for white bass and crappies on spoons and spikes. Forecast does not look good sadly.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.