Author Topic: bobber stops  (Read 8852 times)

Dwane Getzlaff

bobber stops
« on: Dec 19, 2002, 07:35 AM »
Been tighing pieces of rubber bands on my line for a bobber stop, what is the best thing on the market now?

Exudedude

Re: bobber stops
« Reply #1 on: Dec 19, 2002, 07:50 AM »
They have pre-tied packaged bobber stops with beads?... hard to beat that.

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Dec 19, 2002, 09:53 AM »
I bought a kit so I can tie my own. The only reason I bought the kit was to get the instructions. I ran out of straws from the kit so I use coffee stirrer straws. They are about the same size as the ones that came with the kit and the price is right (poached from work).

I haven't run out of the line from the kit yet. The line seems like some sort of dacron.

If you can get the instructions the material should be cheap. The line you can get might not be a hi-vis type.

Even if you just buy another kit it is a lot cheaper than buying pre-tied stops.

Here is a bobber stop knots:

http://www.walleyehunter.com/knots.html#Bobber%20Stop

Here is a link for the kit:

http://www.cortlandline.com/catalog/accessories.html

bussman

« Reply #3 on: Dec 23, 2002, 01:50 AM »
How do these Bobber stops work? Do you real them into your spool? In the picture they look to big for that?? I have seen and tried the rubber band trick but I did't find it to work that well. I am trying to find a way to set my 5 year old up with a bobber and still allow him to be able to real his line in and back out without having to reset the depth. Any ideas are welcome.

jos

« Reply #4 on: Dec 23, 2002, 04:38 AM »
YOU SLIDE THE LINE THROUGH THE TUBE (OR COFFEE STRAW) AND THEN WHEN YOU GET TO WHERE YOU WANT THE STOP TO BE YOU SLIDE THE TUBE OUT FROM UNDER THE THREAD AND TIGHTEN DOWN THE THREAD TAKE THE TUBE OFF THE LINE  AND THEN PUT ON THE BEAD THEN THE BOBBER THEN TIE ON WHATEVER YOU ARE GOING TO USE FOR YOUR BAIT. THE THREAD TIGHTENS DOWN REAL SMALL AND EASILY REELS INTO THE REEL, THE ONLY PROBLEM I HAVE HAD IS SOMETIMES YOU GET AN ICE BUILDUP ON THE THREAD BUT ALL YOU HAVE TO DO IS HOLD IT BETWEEN YOUR FINGERS FOR A FEW SECONDS AND THE ICE WILL MELT AWAY. THEY ALSO MAKE AN EASILY ADJUSTABLE BOBBER STOP OUT OF NYLON IF I CAN FIND ONE I WILL POST A PIC.
BE SAFE AND HAVE A HAPPY HOLIDAY!
                 JOS

Offline Hard_H2O

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Dec 23, 2002, 04:41 AM »
After the stop is on your line you can slide it up and down to adjust your depth.

You have to make sure you don't pull them too tight. You need them tight enough so they won't slip under use like when they slide over your guides.

bussman

« Reply #6 on: Dec 23, 2002, 05:18 AM »
thanks!

bussman

« Reply #7 on: Dec 24, 2002, 06:32 AM »
One more question for you guys that have used these stoppers. Will they work with a closed face reel? You know the ones zebco makes for kids?

mngonefishing

« Reply #8 on: Dec 24, 2002, 11:34 AM »
if you try to use them with a closed face reel a lot of times they get tangled up. to solve this problem i bought a bottle of bright red paint. i just coat the line at the point i want. (about 8 in.) just do not use lead paint. I tried the spray can but when they get cold they dont want to work. so i just bought a 4 oz bottle that you paint jigs with. it has lasted me over 3yrs now and still going strong.

Offline holeinhide

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • have ice will fish!!
« Reply #9 on: Dec 26, 2002, 06:11 AM »
i use arnold speed stops they work on all types of reels from my bait casters to my kids zebco with no problems.

Offline mnfishman

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Dec 31, 2002, 05:43 AM »
I use the bobber stops that are shown in the previous post.  They work just fine in closed faced reels as long as you cut off the bobber stop tails after you tighten it down on the line.  They also won't freeze up if you cut them off either.

bussman

« Reply #11 on: Dec 31, 2002, 04:11 PM »
They didn't work in a zebco reel.

Offline Mr.Seaguar

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #12 on: Dec 31, 2002, 04:54 PM »
I cant imagine them working well in a closed face reel. I sometimes use the same trick described with the paint but I use a marks-a-lot pen. You can use monafilament instead of the different types of string that store bought stops are made of. But unless you lose about 100 stops a year it is probly cheaper just to buy them rather than spend the time tying your own.
Every plastics manufacturer claims plastics outfish livebait. So now I use livebait just for the increased challenge.

tig42

« Reply #13 on: Jan 01, 2003, 05:08 AM »
I USE SMALL RUBBER BANDS THAT THE DENTIST GIVES PATIENTS FOR RESTRAINING BRACES.THEY ARE THIN & EASY TO TIE ON THE LINE. THEY WORK JUST FINE ON ALL REELS.I HAVE USED ALL THE OTHER ONES AND FIND THESE TO BE THE BEST.

Offline utes

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #14 on: Jan 16, 2003, 11:31 AM »
I also use the small rubber bands above the bobber. I find that its easy to tie on and they slip up/down the line with no problems at all, so when you move to a different depth it's easy to get fishing in no time at all. And when your done they come off easy with a bite of the tooth and you don't have to cut the line. good fishing!!!

Offline Seaduck

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Perch taste great
« Reply #15 on: Jan 19, 2003, 05:22 PM »
I agree with the ease of using the rubberbands.  Cheap, you can put them anywhere on the line, and you don't have to take off your terminal tackle to put them on.  I just used half inch pieces of rubber band and make a double loop in the line by looping it over my thumb and forefinger then bringing both strands of the line up between my fingers. Put the piece of rubber band in the loops and pull tight.  It will slide up and down to set the depth.

Offline indeeptreble

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Every hour you fish adds an hour to your life!
« Reply #16 on: Jan 20, 2003, 06:07 PM »
Of course you all know it get's pretty cold here in Saskatchewan ( that in Canada eh! ). I use a Balsa bobber but the kind with a hole in the bottom tip of the bobber, your line goes through that hole. Now the reason the hole is in the bottom of the bobber is so your bobber stop what ever kind  you fancy, is under water thus preventing the stop from freezing. After that I clip on a weight to the hook and drop it down the hole I then set the stopper 6-8 inches from the bottom. I then let the weight sink the bobber when it hits bottom it should sink your bobber 6-8 inches. I also use this weight periodically throughout the day to make sure my stopper has not slipped on my line.

MNwalleyeGUY

« Reply #17 on: Jan 22, 2003, 12:04 PM »
;D

Bobber Stops

One of the greatest tools for ice fishing with a bobber.  I have a bobber stop on all
of my poles.  Even if I do not have a bobber and am without a vexilar while jigging it
works as a reference point.  I have not had much trouble with them either.  The best
bobbers are the ones with the stem in the water so they do not freeze up.  Another
favorite are detachable slip bobbers.
GOOD LUCK

;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D

themistocles3

« Reply #18 on: Feb 18, 2003, 07:15 PM »
Hey guys, I use 20# and 30# fly line backing for my stoppers and line depth indicators on my tip ups.  The knot used is called a "nail knot".   Any fly shop should know this knot and most shops will be willing to teach the knot to you, especialy if you buy the backing from them.  It usually runs about $6 for 100 yds.  They might sell you a shorter length from a bulk spool if you ask nicely.  HINT the 30# works better as a stop an the 20# slides though guides easier and sometimes I don't even use a bobber with these.   Also 4 wraps is about right for tying the knot.  

tolate

« Reply #19 on: Feb 10, 2004, 02:57 PM »
 i hahe been using flose from my wife crosssticking work graet but have to replace on good days of fishing just tie one nknot on both side of line

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.