Author Topic: Jigging with PLASTICS  (Read 2466 times)

Offline Phisherphil

• IceShanty Rookie
Jigging with PLASTICS
« on: Nov 10, 2004, 07:08 PM »
Tried plastics last season and had pretty good success on gills, BUT... a terrible time keeping straight and tearing off after a couple fish.
Any tips on jig styles/type and rigging those little tails like Wedgees and Dupies?
Any suggestions for crappies and their preferences?

Thanks,
Phisherphil

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
Re: Jigging with PLASTICS
« Reply #1 on: Nov 23, 2004, 09:42 PM »
no tips but I've been contemplating using a senko for icefishing, I'm sure you've all seen the circle they fall in if you put a splitshot above it a certain distance. I'm thinking about trying them for lakers.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Offline Phisherphil

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Nov 24, 2004, 08:53 AM »
The object of fishing for panfish is NOT to have the baits doing any circles.  My experience with plastic types is that they are very sensitive to spinning and that usually means the fish avoid it.  I'm trying to get them to hang straight and jig without spinning.

As for lakers I would stick to tube types if you want to use plastics.  Or a flask spoon, Nils master swimmer shad or Rapala jigger.  What little ice laker fishing I've done these sure worked for me.

Thanks,
Phisherphil

Offline Trophy Hunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Nov 25, 2004, 11:28 AM »
Spinning baits are a surefire way to not catch anything like Phisherphil said.  Most guys who icefish dont' even know that their baits are spinning down there.  That's another plus of using the aquaview when panfishing.  You get maximum control of your bait and know what it's doing at all times and you can avoid the evil jig spin that happens when you start to jig too aggressively and get some line twist.
True that!! alot of peple are unawre how much there bait moves when they think it s still! Tiny tiny jiggles followed by a pause trigger strikes.

Offline varmntguy

• IceShanty Rookie
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
« Reply #4 on: Nov 25, 2004, 09:50 PM »
I think what he meant by the spin comment was that on the drop they do a circle like a jigging rap or a nils jigger. However I could be wrong, it's been known to happen just ask my wife ;).
Bent rods and full beers.

Offline TroutFishingBear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • almost 22" cuttbow, took 6 minutes to land
« Reply #5 on: Nov 29, 2004, 08:10 PM »
The object of fishing for panfish is NOT to have the baits doing any circles.  My experience with plastic types is that they are very sensitive to spinning and that usually means the fish avoid it.  I'm trying to get them to hang straight and jig without spinning.

I said to try them out for lakers not panfish. Yeah, I know tubes and those are the norm, but 20 years ago they would never of dreamed of using tubes for lakers, until a guy from colorado did and got some big ones at blue mesa. I am trying the senko. Its called branching out, trying something out of the box; sometimes you will be rewarded.

Now, if you want panfish, I like shrimpos and ratsos.

I am contemplating trying the nuclear ants too, they look like they would kick butt. They come in the 1/50 oz size and the 1/100 oz size.
if anybody from michigan will help me out with the lakes and stuff up here I'd really appreciate it since I'm new to the area.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.