Author Topic: Bass Pro  (Read 4764 times)

Offline YT125

• IceShanty Rookie
Bass Pro
« on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:17 AM »
Just wanted to put this out there. Stopped by Bass Pro Shops in Hooksett this week to pick up a new auger blade and check to see if they had anything else to add to my arsenal of ice fishing equipment..They had nothing, no tip ups, no chisel’s , No blades,  barely any supplies for ice fishing what so ever! I guess they feel that ice fishing season is over in NH two weeks before the big Rotary Derby on Winni, Before Newfound Derby, before most all youth and adult derbies! They call themselves the Sportsman’s Paradise..Not! I send this to warn others not to waste their time at Bass Pro but to also say that if you want something go to your local, independent bait shops, sports stores, etc.. I will never enter that store again and will spend my $$$ at places like AJ’s, Suds & Soda, Tackle Shack.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Bass Pro
« Reply #1 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:22 AM »
All those big stores do that they don't restock the shelves when it is gone. It is gone till next season. They do the same thing in the summer. Yes I agree use the local guys. Tackle Shack is great.

Offline Brownbagger247

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:27 AM »
I’ve always despised bass pro it’s a trap, they have plenty of everything except fishing equipment. I get it it’s a business strategy but a bad one at that!
How's the ice they all ask? "I’ll tell you what, you can get a good look at a t-bone by sticking your head up a bull’s butt, but I’d rather take the butcher’s word for it."

Offline Oldbear

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:30 AM »
I'm  afraid most are going to agree with you.  I went in early season for a hard plastic Clam jig case.  Had to go thru 2 young salesman before they could get it in their head what I wanted.  Didn't have it anyway which is what I usually` get when I go in there. Rarely stop there anymore.

Offline johnnh

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:33 AM »
All good reasons to shop at your local shops.
Examples:
AJ's
The tackle shack
Morses sporting goods
Granite State Rod & reel

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #5 on: Jan 23, 2020, 06:44 AM »
Dover Marine, and suds is where I get everything
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline TonyThunder

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #6 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:03 AM »
Bass pro is overrated and overpriced

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #7 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:08 AM »
BP sucks. Never has anything I'm looking for....just weekend warrior cheap crap.
Suds is usually my go to for where I live, and usually has anything I need. Berry's Bait, although small, is really starting to carry quite a bit as well, and he'll try to find what you're looking for if he doesn't have it.
If all else fails....FishUSA
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline jethro

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:08 AM »
Tackle Shack get's the majority of my fishing business and Greens Marine get's all my boat supply/electronics business. The only big place I frequent for fishing stuff, mostly ice fishing stuff is Kittery Trading Post. They have a really great buyer there, they know what is the right stuff to stock. But it's not exactly bargain priced. Sometimes I will stop into LL Beans in Freeport but honestly most of my other gear comes from the evil empire (Amazon).
Quote- fishslap: I use a variety:  whistlin' bungholes, spleen splitters, whisker biscuits, honkey lighters, hoosker doos, hoosker don'ts, cherry bombs, nipsy daisers, with or without the scooter stick, or one single whistlin' kitty chaser

Ice safety link: http://lakeice.squarespace.com/

Offline HuntnFish603

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If I can hunt it, or fish it....I'M THERE!
« Reply #9 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:10 AM »
Tackle Shack get's the majority of my fishing business and Greens Marine get's all my boat supply/electronics business. The only big place I frequent for fishing stuff, mostly ice fishing stuff is Kittery Trading Post. They have a really great buyer there, they know what is the right stuff to stock. But it's not exactly bargain priced. Sometimes I will stop into LL Beans in Freeport but honestly most of my other gear comes from the evil empire (Amazon).
Yup. X2 on KTP as well. Forgot that one. Although that's more of my hunting/firearms go-to than fishing. pricey sonetimes, but they usually have alot of stock.
- In every walk with nature, every hunt, every fishing trip....one receives far more than he seeks.

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:37 AM »
I got a gift card for my birthday so my wife and I stopped there and walked around. Couldn’t find anything to spend the card on.
Then I got a flyer in the mail and saw something I could use...an electric
filet knife. I’ll order online and use the card there.
Either that or one of those Ken Onion sharpeners...

Offline stitch

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2020, 07:58 AM »
Mowbizz just got a ken onion.follow the directions and it puts an amazing edge on a knife.get one and youll never use a stone again.

Offline Troutsniffer76

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:06 AM »
suds n soda and berry's bait are my normal stops, I'll get whatever tackle I need at suds, enter the vexilar raffle and then the following morning I'll stop at berry's bait for smelt and suckers as suds only carries shiners. I used to go to nute's as well on 16 but it's closed now- someone buy that place and open it back up!

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:07 AM »
Mowbizz just got a ken onion.follow the directions and it puts an amazing edge on a knife.get one and youll never use a stone again.

aint that the truth, I'm good with a set of stones, but there is no comparison, faster too...

I buy local as much as I can, too many tackle shops have gone out of business...

KTP always carries a good supply late into the season.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline mowbizz

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:15 AM »
Been “looking” at them for years...time to pull the trigger! Maybe I’ll go whole hog and get the electric filet knife too!

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #15 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:25 AM »
It all depends on the buyer at the store. Sounds like the Hooksett buyer has no clue what fishing is.

I live 20 minutes from the Basspro in Foxboro MA and I have not run into the same issue you have.

With that said, I also go to my local shops first. If they do not have exactly what I am looking for, basspro is convenient for me.
Just add water.

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:34 AM »
the big stores make a single  order just before the season and that's it. when it's gone, it's gone. Ran into that when I worked at The Sports Authority and Dick's. BTW, Dick's is discontinuing anything that has to do with hunting. no clothes, no accessories, nothing.

Offline Lv2hunt

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Don't get your Shanty pantys in a bunch!!
« Reply #17 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:47 AM »
you'll see alot of the big chain stores will follow suit with dicks its too bad but the nice part is alot of the smaller guys are being more price competitive. the new owners at wildlife sports are doing a great job and prices are fantastic so is the selection or they can order for you. i bought a new muzzleloader this year and their prices beat suds and soda which is unbelievable. closer for me suds is a great place but 45min ride compared to 7 min.
Give a man a fish and he will eat for a day teach him how to fish and he will sit there and drink all day!!

Offline jmamos52

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Jan 23, 2020, 08:58 AM »
I couldn't agree more with the posts... BPS is a joke.. they're the "homegoods" of so-called fishing equip... only minus the good prices. They hardly know how to merchandise for the area (hence the points of already being mostly out of ice-fishing gear) and they cater to that person that thinks it's "cool" to say they shopped there and thus can be considered a "pro.".... the people that work there have VERY little to no knowledge of gear, technique what to do, when, where and such. There are a few exceptions of course, but for the most part, every time I'm in there I hear some BPS working telling some young kid "advice"...and it couldn't be farther from the truth. All they do is push whatever is the "hot" lure or technique at the given time whether it works or not. Go there to buy boots and drapes for your cottage .. that's about what they're good for these days. Oh.. or, to buy any and everything "private labeled" BPS... anything from crappy lures/baits, line to beef jerky... yeah, big help that is. Stick with the local dealers that have knowledge and know what to sell and when to sell it...IMO

Offline 800stealth

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:07 AM »
you'll see alot of the big chain stores will follow suit with dicks its too bad but the nice part is alot of the smaller guys are being more price competitive. the new owners at wildlife sports are doing a great job and prices are fantastic so is the selection or they can order for you. i bought a new muzzleloader this year and their prices beat suds and soda which is unbelievable. closer for me suds is a great place but 45min ride compared to 7 min.

No fishing stuff but my go to for firearms has been Jon at Black Ops Arms in Claremont, best prices I've found. He hand built both my of AR15s and my AR10 and he gives a lifetime service warranty for any of his in house built pieces. It's a 2 hour ride for me but worth every minute of the drive. Worth checking them out.
"May your lines be tight and never be tangled" (old Frankish Proverb)  Guinea 2021

Offline Roccus

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Jan 23, 2020, 09:16 AM »
My shop/ basement has more useful fishing tackle than  that BPS in Hookset.
I went once when they opened,  left without spending a dime.
"A mans got to know his limitations"

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:05 AM »
One option, in this ever popular era of online shopping, would be to order what you need/want and have it shipped to store for pickup. In most cases it can eliminate a shipping charge and should be there when they notify you. (I say should because there is always a chance of a screw up).
I did that with a kayak some years back.

Because the stores order their stock BEFORE the season begins, they can and often will run out during the season.
A couple years ago I had picked up replacement blades, 4 sets each, 2 sets for my 6" and 2 sets for my 8" augers.
I replaced each when I bought them and still have "new in package" blades when these wear down.

I do agree that the local shops will probably have what you need because they live for the sports business, and will usually be glad to order what they don't have if you ask.

There will always be options, but it may boil down to your time and money when you decide to make a purchase.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline TheCrittaC

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Set the hook!
« Reply #22 on: Jan 23, 2020, 10:19 AM »
I remember going there about a week after their grand opening in February a few years ago and them having little to no ice fishing stuff. Cabela's in Scarborough, ME usually had ice fishing gear late into the season, but that may have changed now that Bass Pro bought Cabela's out. Pelletier's in Jaffrey and Granite State Rod and Reel in Nashua have always been good to me and fairly priced whenever I've shopped there.

Offline moosehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #23 on: Jan 23, 2020, 11:38 AM »
bass pro is what it says. bass. tones of bass crap and no trout and salmon gear or saltwater. ktp is geared for gamefish and saltwater.

Offline SHaRPS

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Honor Respect Loyalty
« Reply #24 on: Jan 23, 2020, 02:35 PM »
bass pro is what it says. bass. tones of bass crap and no trout and salmon gear or saltwater. ktp is geared for gamefish and saltwater.

Again - this comes down to the store and the buyer. When I say buyer I mean the Purchasing Manager at the store.

It sounds like the Basspro in Hooksett is a joke compared to the one in Foxboro MA. Plenty of Ice, saltwater, flyfishing, trout stuff, electronics, etc etc. I still rather buy from my local shops but I do not think that its fair to assume that all stores, basspro for this example, are equal. As a matter of fact, the only time I go to basspro is when I need a variety and I need it asap.

The next time I drive by the Hooksett store, I am going to pop in and compare it to the Foxboro store and be back here with a comparison. Now you have me curios.
Just add water.

Offline Mascoma

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #25 on: Jan 23, 2020, 02:42 PM »
My son got a 100 dollar gift card from Bass pro shops, we went down just after Christmas, before New Years it was bare bones then, I can't imagine what's left.
 The only thing of interest was an Engel bait cooler (last one in 13 quart size). It's the best bait bucket I ever had lol, so we over paid for it but at least it was a gift card. Next year will try online or tell the grandparents to get a KTP or Tackle Shack GC.

Offline Pail Rider

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #26 on: Jan 23, 2020, 02:43 PM »
Johnny Morris sold out a long, long time ago.  Shame.

Offline meatandmetal

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #27 on: Jan 23, 2020, 05:15 PM »

Joe what are your hours?

Offline AQUAASSASSIN

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #28 on: Jan 23, 2020, 05:20 PM »
Joe what are your hours?
[/quote

He’s right
You count your years by the Winters.

It’s not being Cocky if you can back it up.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #29 on: Jan 23, 2020, 05:21 PM »

Lol, mines getting that way, few more purchases and I'll be pretty much self sufficient on being able to make all my own tackle and rods.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.