Author Topic: Rapala jigging rap question  (Read 4421 times)

Offline lacquiparlelegend

• IceShanty Rookie
Rapala jigging rap question
« on: Sep 19, 2015, 05:48 PM »
Thinking about trying some jigging raps and wondering what sizes and colors to get. Mainly for walleyes and crappies. Thanks

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Rapala jigging rap question
« Reply #1 on: Sep 19, 2015, 10:41 PM »
For Walleye the go to sizes seem to be #5 and #7,  can't say I've really ever tried to target crappie with them but #2 would probably be your best bet if you can find them.  I'm a fan of Chrome/Blue, Perch, Glow Tiger and Clown.
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #2 on: Sep 20, 2015, 03:34 AM »
The two smallest size will work just fine for crappies.  I've caught crappies on the #3 jigging shad rap.  I prefer to have the front hook snipped off. 
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Muskyrush

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Sep 24, 2015, 09:20 AM »
Jogging raps are my go to lure for crappie, and larger ones at that. Typically I will jig #3 but some days the #2 shines more when I'm in cleaner water. The #3 works much better for bringing in fish and the #5 I throw down first to see what's around then go to the #3. My go to colors are fire tiger, black and chrome, and orange. Typically orange and figer tiger in murky waters and black and chrome in cleaner water. The rod you use to present these is very important to your success do not use a light or noodle rod.

Offline river rat78

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Sep 24, 2015, 04:27 PM »
Size #2 & 3 work really well for me on crappies. My top 5 colors would have to be glow tiger, florescent orange, perch, chrome/blue, chrome/black. No need to tip them with bait. The LM bass seem to really like them too. #5 & 7's for walleyes. My top 5 colors for them would be glow tiger, chrome/blue, chrome/black, gold, and perch. Usually need to tip the treble hook with either a whole minnow or minnow head.

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Sep 24, 2015, 05:22 PM »
I also always tip with a head.  One thing I started messing with towards the end of last season and had some good success with was taking Slug-gos or rubber worms and cutting them up into chunks roughly the same size and shape as a minnow head and tipping with that.  No mess, no need to re-bait after every fish, and you can have a variety of colors although I generally just switch between pearl and bubblegum. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline OldSailor

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Take a kid fishing! Pay it forward!!
« Reply #6 on: Sep 24, 2015, 06:22 PM »
I also always tip with a head.  One thing I started messing with towards the end of last season and had some good success with was taking Slug-gos or rubber worms and cutting them up into chunks roughly the same size and shape as a minnow head and tipping with that.  No mess, no need to re-bait after every fish, and you can have a variety of colors although I generally just switch between pearl and bubblegum.
Try these minnow heads!!!
http://www.fishusa.com/product/Berkley-Gulp-Alive-1-Minnow-Head-Jarred
My two favorite college football teams are Ohio State and whoever's playing Michigan!!!

Don't reel against the drag!!!

Ex Minnesnowta lad! You can take the lad out of Minnesnowta, but you can't take Minnesnowta out of the lad!!

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #7 on: Sep 24, 2015, 07:05 PM »
http://www.stringease.com/products.php?cat=snaps&id=fastach_clips

adds a lil more movement and can use minnow live heads or imitation

Northland makes a version

http://www.northlandtackle.com/Category/main.taf?cat=704
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.