Author Topic: Reel Review: Tica GCA800  (Read 2112 times)

Offline Sprocket

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Personal Text
Reel Review: Tica GCA800
« on: Mar 12, 2015, 05:26 PM »
I picked up a pair of reels from one of the sponsors here (Glen's) to match up to a light action Ugly Stik and a MH Ugly Stik.  Both were $20 on sale, shipping was free over $50 and they arrived as predicted - no issues with Glen's  :thumbsup:

I selected a Tica GCA800 for the light action rods and I'm very happy with the choice.  The reel itself is nicely made and suits the rod well.  The reel's anti-reverse is awesome - there is no backspin at all - where you stop the handle is where the reel stops.  Unlike most of the other reels I've used that have some back rotation until the mechanism stops.  The handle also has a button at the "elbow" so you can fold it without loosening the retaining screw.  Yes, the handle can be swapped righty/lefty as usual.  The reel is rated 2#/300 yards 4#/160 yards, 6#/100 yards. 

I wont have time to get out on the ice this year to test them but I will follow up on this next year.
Trust me, when the Zamboni driver says "You won't catch fish through that hole", he knows of what he speaks.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Reel Review: Tica GCA800
« Reply #1 on: Mar 12, 2015, 09:21 PM »
I've owned some Tica and found them to be pretty good.  I do have a larger spinning reel that the stem seems too short on it and I offten get my fingers hit by the bail while reeling.  You can't buy much for $20!

Offline greenbackhunter

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: Reel Review: Tica GCA800
« Reply #2 on: Aug 29, 2015, 06:16 AM »
I cleaned out glens a couple weeks ago. Walked in, asked if they had any. Sales guy says "yep, how many would you like?" In my best terminator voice, said "all". 17 reels later...

No one here in Canada sells them. I have converted most people to them once they handle and fish one. One of the best buys you can get.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.