Author Topic: Opening Painted Hook Eyes  (Read 3560 times)

Offline conococheague

• IceShanty Rookie
Opening Painted Hook Eyes
« on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:40 AM »
There's nothing more frustrating then picking out what looks like a great jig and finding the hook eye painted over.  How do you break through this paint or remove it so that you can feed the line through (the hooks and eyes are so tiny)?  I've done it many times on a full size bass jig.  I'm not sure why they can't modify their manufacturing of these to prevent this, but a great fraction of my tiny panfish jigs have this problem.  I considered putting the eye in acetone long enough to dissolve the paint.  What do you guys do?  I'm not necessarily looking for a solution that can be implemented on the ice - I'll take the time to fix them all at home before I go out again - I'm just not clear what the best way to do it is.  Thanks.

Conococheague

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline conococheague

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Opening Painted Hook Eyes
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:53 AM »
Rebelss - thanks - I have several of those (Rapala makes one) and they work on bass sized jigs but will they work on the tiny hook eyes of a panfish jig?  Even on a bass jig sometimes it takes quite a bit of work, especially if they've used high quality epoxy lacquer on the heads.  I'll try it though.  Thanks.

Offline Rebelss

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
  • Inventor of Minnow Magic American Patriot
« Reply #3 on: Jan 21, 2015, 11:54 AM »
I actually filed mine down to a needlepoint.... ;)
“The mass of men live lives of quiet desperation”  Thoreau

Offline wallydiven

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:04 PM »
Candle and a safety pin. Light the candle and heat the pointed end of the pin. Stick it through the eye and your done! Me and a buddy just did over a thousand jigs in under an hour. I hate that companies don't take the time to clean their jigs! Especially at over $3 a piece for tungsten.

Offline maxmartens

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:15 PM »
I just use a knife blade to scrap the paint off

Offline WANNAKETCHUM

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Where da fish at???
« Reply #6 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:21 PM »
I sat down one evening several years ago prior to ice up and cleaned out every one I own that needed it. Now if I buy any new jigs that's the first thing I check and if they need it, I do it before they get put in my boxes.  ;D

WK
Give your son a fish, and he will eat for a day.....teach your son to fish and eventually he'll end up kicking your @ss every time you fish together!!!

Offline striperman

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 21, 2015, 12:52 PM »
Same here.I always find some jigs and even hooks,especially the red ones sometimes are closed.I have a small pack of sewing needles and do all mine before they go in my box.Hate to do this stuff on the ice when hands are already cold.  ::)
It's not how deep you fish,
Its how you wiggle your worm

Offline Townie

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Jan 22, 2015, 01:58 PM »
Push pin tacks. Fiskas jig eyes are clean.
Bulls, Jumbos & Slabs Oh My!

Offline rayclargo

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #9 on: Jan 22, 2015, 06:26 PM »
I use a pair of fingernail clippers to crack the paint then a large safty pin and poke out the paint. Works for me??

Offline Knife2sharp

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 23, 2015, 12:12 PM »
I've used the eye buster thingy majiggies, but I always seem to have it somewhere besides nearby when I need one.  Problem with that thing is it doesn't work very well on the tiny jigs.  I genererally take another jig of similar size and break the hole open with the point of another hook. This will ususally crack some of the paint and I can scrape the rest off with my fingernail. 

And that's your Trufire tip of the week. 
I don't post on IceShanty often, but when I do - #Legendary

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #11 on: Jan 25, 2015, 08:43 PM »
Eye busters work but can chip some jigs. I find that a small needle heated over a flame works well on most jigs.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline feklar

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #12 on: Jan 26, 2015, 08:49 PM »
eye buster on bigger jigs, on the smaller ice fishing ones I use a jig I don't fish with (it dulls the hook).

Offline 1moslab

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Jan 27, 2015, 07:56 AM »
I will have to try that fire and needle trick

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:49 PM »
I use a rotary/Dremel tool with a small nail or needle in it.  This opens them up quickly without chipping the paint.

Offline Spider1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Jan 27, 2015, 01:52 PM »
I have a large needle thingy that I had in my fly fishing vest pocket. It was for clearing glue and head cement from fly eyes.

Offline arrow2968

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #16 on: Jan 27, 2015, 11:53 PM »
Thanks for this topic. This afternoon I swore Id never buy another jig with a painted eye. Ive already busted off eyes from brand new jigs trying to remove paint that manufacturers dont have the time or pride in their product to do it in house. Quit buying them !!!!

Offline Coachkwj

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #17 on: Feb 18, 2015, 06:31 PM »
I clean all my jigs as soon as they come out of the package (if they need it) with a needle. Don't use a knife or anything that might nick the eye. Remember you're probably only using 2 lb. test. No need to tempt fate.
Don't fall in. Unless it's a big one.

Offline tungstenguy

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #18 on: Aug 16, 2015, 03:40 PM »
I recently bought Kenders Tungsten Jigs... no need to clear out the eyelet because they're already done for you.

Offline 3300

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Michigan Moderator.Not affiliated with MarCum Tech
« Reply #19 on: Aug 16, 2015, 05:10 PM »
i keep a straight pin with the big plastic end and it stays in with one of my jig box's. i keep it pushed down into two hook holders that are stacked and can keep jigs in with it. also, for the really bad painted eyes, i keep nail clippers hanging on my retractable tool cord for cutting line and i use that to make a line just under the painted eye and pull straight up with even pressure and clear the eye out with the straight pin.
just picked up some brantner jigs that are clean eye hooks.

in a pinch, you could use another hook/jig and twist it as it tries to go in.

Offline Swift

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #20 on: Aug 16, 2015, 05:27 PM »
Use toe nail clippers as well to score the paint and pick it out with a fly tying bodkin. Found it best to do it at home when purchased, hate wasting time fiddling with small objects when it's cold out any more than what's needed.

Offline UFCreel

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Aug 18, 2015, 06:47 AM »
He guy's. I had to get this last ice season and it worked flawlessly. It is the Clam Jig Cleaner, Model# 9548 at  $3.99. Has a hook out too. You can use the cutting end to score around the eye and the poker to push out the paint. It also will cut super braid lines. I put mine on lanyard so I don't lose it. Over all worth the $3.99.  :tipup:
Flags up! Bobbers down!

Offline DaveSS1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #22 on: Aug 18, 2015, 08:13 AM »
Use a needle or an old jig you no longer use.  I do mine inside while things are warm to avoid any chipping and I can take my time to make sure they are cleaned out well enough not to affect the action of the lure or possible compromise my light line.

Offline ShaggyJig1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #23 on: Aug 30, 2015, 05:54 PM »
The heated pin trick will work well on most jigs.  I personally will never buy a jig that has paint in the hook eye or on the point/barb of the hook, my biggest pet-peev.

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #24 on: Sep 15, 2015, 10:08 AM »
I like the heated needle and also have an "eye buster" that was made by Eagle Claw that I got for a few dollars at Walmart.  The thing with the eye buster is if you go nuts with it you can break the eye of the hook.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.