Author Topic: New line question  (Read 1259 times)

Offline Chris338378

• Team IceShantyholic
New line question
« on: Jan 01, 2015, 03:04 PM »
A friend of mine bought some new mono line to respool a few reels the other day and when he figured out the date code on it he found out that it was made in 2009 and asked me if I thought it was too old to use.  Honestly I never gave a thought to when the line was made that I bought, I just bought it and put it on, but this has me thinking.  I compared the line to a spool that I have that was made June of 2014 and the twist in the line is pretty much the same comparing them side by side.  What do you guys think?

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
Re: New line question
« Reply #1 on: Mar 31, 2015, 05:53 AM »
Sometimes lines degrade, sometimes they still perform.  I kind of knot break check them from time to time.  I don't fish enough to constantly re-spool fresh line every season.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline TwoLightsKid

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Mar 31, 2015, 09:06 AM »
Braid will pretty much last forever until it gets too abraded from long use.  Mono does degrade over time, but very slowly if stored in a cool dark place like a basement, much faster if left in a hot car trunk, attic, or shed. 

As mentioned, give it a try and if knot strength is good and it still casts well, then use it. 

Offline stripernut

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Tight Lines!
« Reply #3 on: Mar 31, 2015, 09:07 AM »
I kind of knot break check them from time to time.
X2
Rare to find old mono that is still good....

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.