Author Topic: Mr Heater Fuel Keg 1lb Tanks  (Read 9281 times)

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Re: Mr Heater Fuel Keg 1lb Tanks
« Reply #60 on: Jan 10, 2024, 05:40 PM »
RickWakeman...before I got the FK refillable tanks I was pretty stingy with the propane tanks ...only used them when it was brutal . I even had 2 tanks that must have been 5yrs old . Now that I am older and wiser ..and dont like to be cold I use the FK each and every trip ...I find myself staying longer and enjoying it even more ..defiantly a quality of angling life upgrade . Just being able to pack up my gear ...warm up in my shelter hub or flip ...then collapse and go is kind of priceless. Note I have since purchased a insulated flip which is also a game changer. The current innovations to our sport are worth the price of admission.

I was never stingy with the propane as my friends and family always insist on being warm and comfy.
 But what I did was always bring my eleven pound tank.
Which is fine when i'm towing things out with my snowmobile but heavy when towing by hand. Then there's the issue of having the extra hose and keeping it free of ice and snow.
But now that I have a few of the flame king refillables. I find i'm using them a lot more often.
They're just so much more convenient than hooking a hose up that wants to stay frozen in a coil etc.
Last winter I upgraded to an insulated shanty and I don't know why I didn't do it earlier.
What a difference that makes as well.
No regrets on either purchase!
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline holehopper

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Me and Dave Genz
« Reply #61 on: Jan 10, 2024, 10:19 PM »
I was an early adopter when FK first came out. I tried them for a season and ended up selling the bottles and kit. My primary issue was being old and fighting with the hex key setup. It’s simple but when you can’t see without cheaters it is more difficult. Fast forward to this season. I bought a few 1 lbs tanks in a pinch at a local gas station. 2 for $12 was painful. I saw DTROs videos and thought I’d give the Fuel Keg a try. I filled 2 tanks tonight for the first time. Wow. I am very impressed with how easy and how well this system works. I actually went back to Menards tonight and bought 2 more tanks while they are on sale. I filled all four tanks tonight and was incredibly easy with the split ring valve. The stand fuel keg uses is also vastly superior to my FK experience.
Two other things I did was first to put some reflective tape on the kegs themselves. Just to remind me and others not to throw them away by accident. I also added a piece of painters tape on my 20 lbs tank and am adding a tick mark when I fill a bottle. Figure it will help me keep track of when I need a refill on the 20 pounder. Thanks again DTrO for the awesome videos you posted. Those videos are the reason I tried this product and I could not be more pleased with how easy and effective this refill system is.
Never Stop Never Stopping

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #62 on: Jan 11, 2024, 06:16 AM »
I was an early adopter when FK first came out. I tried them for a season and ended up selling the bottles and kit. My primary issue was being old and fighting with the hex key setup. It’s simple but when you can’t see without cheaters it is more difficult. Fast forward to this season. I bought a few 1 lbs tanks in a pinch at a local gas station. 2 for $12 was painful. I saw DTROs videos and thought I’d give the Fuel Keg a try. I filled 2 tanks tonight for the first time. Wow. I am very impressed with how easy and how well this system works. I actually went back to Menards tonight and bought 2 more tanks while they are on sale. I filled all four tanks tonight and was incredibly easy with the split ring valve. The stand fuel keg uses is also vastly superior to my FK experience.
Two other things I did was first to put some reflective tape on the kegs themselves. Just to remind me and others not to throw them away by accident. I also added a piece of painters tape on my 20 lbs tank and am adding a tick mark when I fill a bottle. Figure it will help me keep track of when I need a refill on the 20 pounder. Thanks again DTrO for the awesome videos you posted. Those videos are the reason I tried this product and I could not be more pleased with how easy and effective this refill system is.

Glad to hear it went well for you and I would echo your experiences.  Thanks for the feedback.   While the Flame King works great and I would still recommend it,  I do think at the end of the day, there are a couple of minor improvements on the Fuel Keg that make it a better system.   This is how the market works, and is a good thing for us as consumers. 

Offline ReleaseN2Grease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #63 on: Jan 11, 2024, 01:59 PM »
As someone who is considering purchasing their first heater, which refillable tank is the "best"? I don't have any of the gadgets or gizmos, so if anyone wants to throw in what adapters you need for which tanks, that'd be great. Thanks!

Offline HWeber

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #64 on: Jan 11, 2024, 02:46 PM »
https://www.scheels.com/p/flame-king-refillable-cylinder-1-lb-kit/89900300035.html

Tank, stand, and adapter. Flameking

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/propane-tanks/mr-heater-reg-fuel-keg-kit/f200049/p-1642874297828530-c-6878.htm

Stand and adapter, mr. Heater

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/propane-tanks/mr-heater-reg-16oz-empty-fuel-keg-tank/f200048/p-1642874297828344-c-6878.htm

Tank, mr. heater

Watch the videos dtro posted and make your own choice. Different people have different needs. If you have difficulty seeing up close, can't keep track of tools, or don't have the steadiest hands mr heater may be an easy choice. Personally I think flame king is the better choice but we all have our own needs and opinions

Offline hardwater diehard

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #65 on: Jan 11, 2024, 02:59 PM »
As someone who is considering purchasing their first heater, which refillable tank is the "best"? I don't have any of the gadgets or gizmos, so if anyone wants to throw in what adapters you need for which tanks, that'd be great. Thanks!

https://www.homedepot.com/p/Flame-King-Three-1-lb-Refillable-Propane-Cylinders-with-Refill-Kit-YSN1LBKT-2CL/311513863
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

Offline ReleaseN2Grease

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #66 on: Jan 11, 2024, 04:51 PM »
https://www.scheels.com/p/flame-king-refillable-cylinder-1-lb-kit/89900300035.html

Tank, stand, and adapter. Flameking

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/propane-tanks/mr-heater-reg-fuel-keg-kit/f200049/p-1642874297828530-c-6878.htm

Stand and adapter, mr. Heater

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/propane-tanks/mr-heater-reg-16oz-empty-fuel-keg-tank/f200048/p-1642874297828344-c-6878.htm

Tank, mr. heater

Watch the videos dtro posted and make your own choice. Different people have different needs. If you have difficulty seeing up close, can't keep track of tools, or don't have the steadiest hands mr heater may be an easy choice. Personally I think flame king is the better choice but we all have our own needs and opinions

Thanks, I'm fairly ignorant on the equipment topic, helps a bunch!

Offline fisherbob

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #67 on: Jan 12, 2024, 11:20 AM »
Looks like they added a magnet as an optional accessory to the fuel keg and kit. Menards is still cheaper on the Flame King though? Just have to buy a second tank?

https://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/propane-tanks/mr-heater-reg-16oz-empty-fuel-keg-tank/f200048/p-1642874297828344-c-6878.htm?exp=false

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Give a man a fish he eats for a day .Teach a man to ice fish he has an obsession for a lifetime

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #70 on: Jan 12, 2024, 12:16 PM »

I went to Menards yesterday and got two tanks for like $16 each thanks to the 15% bag sale

Nice to know it works . Do you have the Fuel Keg Refill valve ?..it is proprietary to the Fuel Keg system.

Offline Sturno

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #71 on: Jan 12, 2024, 01:02 PM »
Nice to know it works . Do you have the Fuel Keg Refill valve ?..it is proprietary to the Fuel Keg system.

Yeah - The fuel keg kit needed is $29.99. Couple days left of the 15% bag deal. I just yank out a 20# tank with a splitter hose we tap a heater off of and a camp stove. If I went thru the small tanks way more than I do, I'd maybe invest in it....but I don't. Part of the reason I didn't bite on this thing.
"Assumption is the mother of all screw-ups."

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #72 on: Jan 16, 2024, 10:37 AM »
Well I received my flame king kit today from home Depot and the stand was missing from the box 😔

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #73 on: Jan 16, 2024, 11:22 AM »
Well I received my flame king kit today from home Depot and the stand was missing from the box 😔

Go to the chat function on HD web site  they will have a solution whether it be a return price reduction or exchange EZPZ .

HD customer service has been outstanding ...I do all my CS exchanges on chat ...Go to a product any page ...it will load on the right side ...tab ...sometimes its take s bit . ..do mine on my lap top .

Offline bobberbill

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #74 on: Jan 16, 2024, 11:54 AM »
Local Menard's had 1 flame King refill kit, and no tanks. There was a good supply of the new Mr. Heater refillables and adapters. I still fill my Coleman's the old way with the tank adapter. I only use a couple a year. I run the 20# tank in my shanty.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #75 on: Jan 16, 2024, 03:10 PM »
Go to the chat function on HD web site  they will have a solution whether it be a return price reduction or exchange EZPZ .

HD customer service has been outstanding ...I do all my CS exchanges on chat ...Go to a product any page ...it will load on the right side ...tab ...sometimes its take s bit . ..do mine on my lap top .

Customer service said they would contact flame king and have them ship me the stand and they would email me. My expectations are low but my fingers remain crossed 🤞

Also the tanks I received are between 11-12 months old. Since I would be the only one filling them, the date isn't really a concern like it is on the big ones, right?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #76 on: Jan 16, 2024, 09:15 PM »
Customer service said they would contact flame king and have them ship me the stand and they would email me. My expectations are low but my fingers remain crossed 🤞

Also the tanks I received are between 11-12 months old. Since I would be the only one filling them, the date isn't really a concern like it is on the big ones, right?

You should be fine with expiration .HD gave you a solution ..I would be confident ..you have a contact information or claim number just in case ?

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #77 on: Jan 17, 2024, 06:11 AM »
You should be fine with expiration .HD gave you a solution ..I would be confident ..you have a contact information or claim number just in case ?

The date on the tank is what they are DOT certified for.  I think it's 12 years from the date on the tank.  You can still continue to refill them, but that's all they will certify them for. 

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #78 on: Jan 17, 2024, 12:22 PM »

No case number, but someone from flame king did leave me a voicemail and told me they would be sending out the stand. And I received an email from someone at home Depot telling me the stand was sent from the vendor. No tracking info but that's not a big deal.

Since I have the valve and the tanks, is there an easy safe work around to use this without the official stand?

The date on the tank is what they are DOT certified for.  I think it's 12 years from the date on the tank.  You can still continue to refill them, but that's all they will certify them for.
Thanks!  :tipup:

Online RStock521

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #79 on: Jan 17, 2024, 12:38 PM »
No case number, but someone from flame king did leave me a voicemail and told me they would be sending out the stand. And I received an email from someone at home Depot telling me the stand was sent from the vendor. No tracking info but that's not a big deal.

Since I have the valve and the tanks, is there an easy safe work around to use this without the official stand?

I don't use the stand.  I just put the tank near the edge on my work bench.  The stand keeps it from tipping when the big tank starts to get empty though, otherwise you've got to keep an eye on it.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #80 on: Jan 17, 2024, 01:13 PM »

It depends ...if your 20# base is fairly even/level a table ...stair ...pick up tail gate will work ...if it seems wobbly have someone help steady it while you fill the 1 pound tanks . I got quite an egg on my forehead which turned into a nice black eye due to a wobbly tank ...it was a soft knock  on my noggin...but the damage was horrendous .

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #81 on: Jan 17, 2024, 02:27 PM »
As noted in all of my videos.  The Fuel Keg stand system is much better.  The only knock on the Fuel Keg legs is that they require an elevated platform, you can't just set it on the ground and refill. 

Offline Percheye1

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #82 on: Jan 18, 2024, 08:12 AM »
Interesting, I've been refilling used disposable Coleman propane tanks for decades without issue.  (not transporting...)   Good to see other options on the market. 

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #83 on: Jan 20, 2024, 03:38 AM »
Well Flame King did send me a package. It's the stand legs, the hardware to attach everything, but no base plate 😂
Progress.

Offline RickWakeman

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #84 on: Jan 20, 2024, 03:42 AM »
It depends ...if your 20# base is fairly even/level a table ...stair ...pick up tail gate will work ...if it seems wobbly have someone help steady it while you fill the 1 pound tanks . I got quite an egg on my forehead which turned into a nice black eye due to a wobbly tank ...it was a soft knock  on my noggin...but the damage was horrendous .

I may have to give that a try, hopefully minus the black eye and the lump.

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #85 on: Jan 20, 2024, 08:03 AM »
Well Flame King did send me a package. It's the stand legs, the hardware to attach everything, but no base plate 😂
Progress.

Well you will have a story tell for sure .

Offline kasilofchrisn

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #86 on: Jan 20, 2024, 02:44 PM »
I use the stand it came with.
But, I've heard that some guys use a milk crate. Put it in the open side of the crate.
Might have to cut out a little plastic for the valve though?
KasilofChrisN
"I listen to the voices in my tackle box"

Offline DTro

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #87 on: Jan 22, 2024, 06:31 AM »
Just a quick update on this. I met with Mr Heater again and we discussed a few things in the videos that I posted. If you buy the Fuel Kegs, the one thing I would highly suggest is to keep an eye on the plastic sleeve and the rubber o-ring. They tend to stick and pull off from the filler valve. My best guess is that some of these weren’t fully seated from the factory. I noticed the plastic sleeve was sitting flush in the nozzle on my tanks and I was able to push it down further (about 1/16″). I think this should help. If you notice any suspicious leaking, confirm that this seal is in place.

Offline donzov

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #88 on: Jan 22, 2024, 10:34 AM »
Can either of these bottles be refilled with the old Mr heater adapter that many of us have already? They would be horizontal rather than vertical and would you have to mess around with the bleeder or can you just put them in the freezer like in the past?

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #89 on: Jan 22, 2024, 10:49 AM »
Can either of these bottles be refilled with the old Mr heater adapter that many of us have already? They would be horizontal rather than vertical and would you have to mess around with the bleeder or can you just put them in the freezer like in the past?

You can use it on the Flame King ...kind of a PITA though ...no need to place Flame King canisters in the freezer ...just follow the procedure to fill the canisters...

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.