Author Topic: on the run  (Read 2716 times)

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
on the run
« on: Mar 01, 2005, 07:54 PM »
Taking a poll.  Do you hit a pike on the run or let it stop and turn the bait?  I've  had luck each way and bad luck each way.  just wondering....

Offline fishboy899

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceShanty Regular
  • Ice Fishing Rulez!
Re: on the run
« Reply #1 on: Mar 01, 2005, 08:14 PM »
I wait until after they are done running.  If I get to the tip up and its not running i will sit and watch for a minute and see if it makes a run.  If it doesnt then I set the hook and hope he is still there and if he makes a run i wait until he is stops.

Offline WARRIOR_ON_ICE

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Long Live the WARRIOR
« Reply #2 on: Mar 02, 2005, 11:41 AM »
I have similar experience as minnow1. Tried hitting them on the run, and also waiting until it stops, and then hoping for the second run. It seems like a crapshoot either way. A good trade-off seems to be that if he is running hard when you get to the hole, wait a while until it slows down some, then go for a hook-up. It sucks to miss one after waiting about 6 hours for a flag!
The Ultimate Warrior is possessed with great power from the heavens above ! Against the mighty lake trout and pike and schools of crappie, the power of the WARRIOR will always ......... PREVAIL !!!

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Mar 02, 2005, 02:04 PM »
I have similar experience as minnow1. Tried hitting them on the run, and also waiting until it stops, and then hoping for the second run. It seems like a crapshoot either way. A good trade-off seems to be that if he is running hard when you get to the hole, wait a while until it slows down some, then go for a hook-up. It sucks to miss one after waiting about 6 hours for a flag!

Exactly!  I found that if you get to the tipup and the line is peeling off quickly, most of the time it's a decent size fish and has it swallowed anyway, so pull it.  If not much line is gone, it's usually a smaller fish - let him make the next move.

Offline hookedonice

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • is that the union hall
« Reply #4 on: Mar 02, 2005, 07:53 PM »
have only targeted pike a couple times, lost areally nice one last w/e when the line was peeling off fast. set the hook (so i thought), got just enuogh pulls to realize i had a big fish and then nothing. what a sinking feeling :(
don't know what i'll try next time  ???.... just hope that whatever it is that it works :tipup:

Offline bigfish57

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • love them square tails!!!!
« Reply #5 on: Mar 02, 2005, 08:24 PM »
I have tryed all the reccomended methods that I could read about and none really seemed to work better than 60% untill I started useing quick-strikes. Now I just give it hell and they are hooked, running or not. This has proved very reliable for me so far. Granted I havent fished pike more than 12 days in the last 2 years but it has held true so far.
Anthony

Offline iceintheveins

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If you won't fight for freedom, your not American!
« Reply #6 on: Mar 02, 2005, 08:38 PM »
If you are using quick strike rigs, I will set if he is steadily peeling line and I have never missed one that had the bait. If I get to the flag and he isn't taking line, I will wait a minute to see if he runs line. If he doesn't, I pick the line up. Sometimes the pike is there and I set the hook. If he isn't there, sometimes jigging the line lightly will cause him to come back.
With quick strike rigs and medium deadbaits, usually pike of all sizes can be hooked if they have the bait. Still it's always a crapshoot. You will always miss some fish, just the way it is.

Tyler
Politically incorrect, and proud of it.

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #7 on: Mar 04, 2005, 09:24 AM »
Isn't it more diffficult to get the hooks out with a quick strike rig because of the treble hooks and number of hooks? 

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Mar 04, 2005, 09:26 AM »
have only targeted pike a couple times, lost areally nice one last w/e when the line was peeling off fast. set the hook (so i thought), got just enuogh pulls to realize i had a big fish and then nothing. what a sinking feeling :(
don't know what i'll try next time  ???.... just hope that whatever it is that it works :tipup:

I've had that feeling many times.  Sometimes the hook pulls out of the bait while he has it in his mouth, sometimes they just spit it out.  Just put your time in and it'll  pay off.

Offline BUCKSKI

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • JIGGING UP MUDFLAPS FROM SOMEWHERE
« Reply #9 on: Mar 04, 2005, 09:37 AM »
Like to hit um as quick as possible. Hook the fish in the middle. Had a fish tank and watch a Gar feed, it always hit from the side and shook the fish and swam with it in its mouth. It took some time for um to flip it. Pike and gar are cousins andd fed similarly in my view.
Like the quick strike rigs, have made the switch to steel not braided. Fluro on walleye waters.
When its spinning you know they have it. Dependds how you hook the bait.
" Of course I believe in luck. How otherwise to explain the success of some people you detest"

Jean Cocteau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.