Author Topic: best areas to fish at 11 mile for pike??  (Read 6192 times)

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
best areas to fish at 11 mile for pike??
« on: Dec 29, 2009, 10:10 PM »
hey i am looking to head to 11 mile this thursday and i have not been there to many times. i was wondering where the best spots to catch pike are?? the fishing report said that the west end, rocky flats, and the north shore were doing good. i was wondering if the rocky flats were by the rocky ridge campground?? and on the west end should i try rodgers mountain?? any advice would be very helpful. like i said i have only fished 11 mile a couple of times. thanks! any baits recommended for pike there would be nice to.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
Re: best areas to fish at 11 mile for pike??
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2009, 07:30 AM »
Rocky Flats is where the North Shore campground is.Generally speaking the pike will be where the trout are.Where I've been fishing the pike have been in the 6' to 15' waters.I don't fish for them, just been seeing them.Get a topo map of the res. from Sportsmans,etc. and it will be a good guide on where to go.The pike fisherman aren't going to give away their spots,but you'll see where they
are set up all along the shoreline because they don't go too deep.Larry Falk at the Marina may be able to give you some pointers.No live bait except for waterdogs or worms,etc.If you use suckers
or similar bait use as fresh as possible and fish them horizontally.If you're getting bait,Outlaws in the Springs sounds like the best in town for the freshest.

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2009, 04:34 PM »
hey thanks for the advice. i will probably try that area then. i know i have seen a couple over in the rodgers mountain cove. is 11 mile still selling water dogs because i heard that outlaw isn't selling any more for some reason.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2009, 09:20 PM »
I'm not sure.It would probably be best to call them.

Offline dahuletts

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #4 on: Dec 31, 2009, 09:39 AM »
I went all over the Stoll Mtn. area on Monday specifically seeking pike and didn't see any.  I was pretty surprised.  I'm sure they were around, maybe just not in the mood for what I had to offer? I thought I might at least get one to swim through.
Fried eggs, hash browns, and a cup of joe.

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Dec 31, 2009, 03:32 PM »
i went up fishing today and i fished the rocky flats where everyone said to fish. bought two water dogs. stuck one one a tip up and one down my hole in the ice hut. saw two fish swim by. one was a big trout and i'm not sure what the other one was could have been a small pike. fished from 6:30 till 1:30 and not even a bite.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #6 on: Dec 31, 2009, 10:28 PM »
Don't feel bad.I got my first skunk of the season just a few days ago.Missed the hookset on one and broke the line on the other because it was a rather large trout.The amount of fish I've seen as compared to just last week has dropped off by 70% or more.I was at Outlaws today and talked to some others that have noticed the same thing as far as numbers.I've been going there for a few years now and that has always been the case.Especially as the season progresses.It helps to be mobile.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #7 on: Jan 04, 2010, 06:12 PM »
My advice is to either get there early (sunup til 10) or late (3PM to dark) for the best bite for pike.  Anything in the middle would be a blessing.  They are very mobile, they like particular types of structure and tend to stay close to it.  Gotta have a "big game" mentality when fishing for them: wait, wait and wait, then be willing to come back and try again another day. 

Bob at Outlaw told me that two 42" pike were taken from Witchers the last week of the month.  I haven't seen pictures or read posts but that's what he said.  Cletus at the Marina shop (Larry's on vacation) also said that a 40" pike was taken from there this weekend. 

I prefer suckers to waterdogs.

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #8 on: Jan 05, 2010, 04:19 PM »
so i might try to pick up some suckers from outlaw or something. has anyone tried rodgers mountain cove?? i fished there lasy year and caught a nice size trout. i also saw a pike that covered all 4 holes so i know it was big. just wondering if anyone has tried that area??

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 05, 2010, 09:14 PM »
so i might try to pick up some suckers from outlaw or something. has anyone tried rodgers mountain cove?? i fished there lasy year and caught a nice size trout. i also saw a pike that covered all 4 holes so i know it was big. just wondering if anyone has tried that area??
Fished there this past Saturday for two hours in the morning.Saw two trout, one bite.15' of water.Slow.

Offline ducky540

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Jan 06, 2010, 01:56 PM »
Fished suckers cove last saturday...my buddies all caught pike but not me  :'(  They were using dead minnows and jigging them slowly. Nothing big most around 14-15 inches. I did manage on nice 16'' trout and my buddy caught one 17'' trout deadsticking meal worms.

Offline snotsickles08

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 06, 2010, 04:45 PM »
cool looks like if i go i might try fishing suckers cove maybe or witchers. not sure yet. i want to head up on saturday but i might have to wait until sunday.

Offline coboy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Jan 06, 2010, 08:25 PM »
The Mile has a tournament this coming Saturday,so it could be crowded.

Offline _colorado

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Retired to MN
« Reply #13 on: Jan 07, 2010, 09:58 AM »
I won't be anywhere near 11 Mile this weekend!  I've tried slowly jigging dead minnows in the past (leftover waterdog food) and have never had any luck with it at 11 Mile.  Rodgers Mt does have some big pike in there.  I believe a 4 hole pike - there are some brutes cruising around there.  Good luck!

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.