Author Topic: Where did the pike go?  (Read 1728 times)

Offline Fishndude75

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where did the pike go?
« on: Jan 05, 2014, 04:00 PM »
I fish a small lake with a good pike population.First ice the pike were on the byte for a couple days now it seams they have basically disappeared.The lake is basically around 6 ft in depth with a 10 foot channel on one side and not allot of structure anywhere else except the back end where it turns into a swampy area.
I live life one fish at a time!

Offline dennisthemence

• IceShanty Rookie
Re: Where did the pike go?
« Reply #1 on: Jan 21, 2014, 08:48 AM »
? for you. is there a stream or river flowing in or out of lake?
other wise fish that channel edge. but don't forget shallow points near shore, especially where bottom structure changes to be had.

if it was late winter near ice out i would be fishing that channel leading into the swampy area. because pike should be staging in this area getting ready for the spawn.

Offline thomasthepikehunter

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Jan 21, 2014, 03:36 PM »
I would think they would hang just off the drop off from the swampy area. In a lake that shallow even a differnce of 6" can draw in fish. If there is a little bump a foot higher in the middle of the lake, minnows will probably gather there. That brings in pike. Most likely though, your just hitting a bad bite.
-Tom

Offline minnow1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Apr 16, 2014, 10:24 AM »
Could be low Oxygen???

Offline fishermantim

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Apr 16, 2014, 10:34 AM »
Maybe they took a break for a little "boom-chicka-wah-wah", since they do spawn right after ice out.
"I'd rather have a bottle in front of me than a frontal lobotomy" - the Existential Blues

I am a legend in my own mind!

Offline hardh2ofish

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Nov 30, 2014, 09:15 AM »
In the early January I don't know if I'd worry about a couple day lull.  I don't know what you mean by small.  How far can they go?  Might be a weather situation.  Did you just have perfect weather fronts for fishing and pike feeding.  Then get slammed with a different front and the fish are laying there digesting full bellies?  I went through that before.  Even contacted our state biologist seeking help with where fish might have moved.  Only to get a call from a buddy a few days later.  They had just had a banner day in our same old haunts.  Momma always said there would be days like this.

Fishing should be the exercise of your skills- and its rewards the places it brings you to
                                                                           Negley Farson
Going Fishing

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.