Author Topic: Where would you fish?  (Read 1049 times)

Offline snowlt14

• Team IceShanty Regular
Where would you fish?
« on: Feb 23, 2011, 04:03 PM »
I am going to be fishing for pike next week in Western New York. I have a few options of where to fish all on the same lake that holds large northern pike.

1. A steep drop off that goes from 2-3ft of water down too 30ft very quick. There is some weeds in the area and also some down trees and boulders.

2. My second spot would be about 100yards from #1 on the back side of an island, There is a small cove that has a good weedbed and is close to deeper water. I would be able to cover from 5-40ft of water.

3. My third spot is the back side of another island where the lake narrows down and turns into a river. This area is close to a few deeper weedbeds and some nice drop offs. This spot will offer me alot of different depts tocover.

I will be fishing 8-10 inch baits and dead smelt if i can catch some. If you had a choice what spot would you fish??

Thanks guys

Offline FondoFishin

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Where would you fish?
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2011, 06:55 PM »
They all sound like nice spots, but my first choice would be #3. Narrows are always a good choice, and if you have deep weedbeds/weedlines adjacent to shallow water, that's a plus also. Add in the fact that it turns to a river nearby, and you have a prime area where big females should be starting to stage up to spawn. Cover all depths, but focus on those deep weedlines. With all of the ice this year the fish probably arent starting to make their shallow push for spawning just yet.

Offline snowlt14

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 27, 2011, 06:33 AM »
bump

Offline PIKE FISHERMAN

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based fishing!
« Reply #3 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:19 AM »
I'd go with #3 as well.
Precision Angling on YouTube. Maine based Bass, Pike, Fly fishing, Ice fishing, Brook fishing and Trolling. Feel free to follow along as I move through the Maine fishing seasons!!
My Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCoA9o9knJAVeEkur3dDAMnA?view_as=subscriber

Offline waterwolf42

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #4 on: Feb 27, 2011, 07:35 PM »
Yea, hit number 3 first and then move around if it is not producing. 
rippin' lips one fish at a time 

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.