The ice fishing Montana boards are sponsored by:

Author Topic: Winter is near!  (Read 2422 times)

Offline mtgrant

• Team IceShanty Regular
Winter is near!
« on: Oct 25, 2023, 04:55 PM »
I woke up to 6 inches of snow and more on the way. SW Montana is going to get cold this week. Normally ice is available the last week of November. This year may be a tad earlier. After shoveling the snow, I went into my fishing room and started getting organized. I will be tying some jigged up muddlers that seem to work well at Canyon Ferry. The ones I had got torn up from the early big bows. I also will be checking reels and rods for line condition, drags, and function. New strike indicators will be added. Preparation and planning is all a part of getting ready for another year of hard water fishing.

Tight Lines,
Montana Grant

Offline BigSage

• Team IceShanty Addict
  • Whack'm n Stack'm
Re: Winter is near!
« Reply #1 on: Oct 26, 2023, 06:19 PM »
I've given some thought to ice fishing with this little blast.  As is pretty typical, this is just a teaser of winter.  I'm sure we will still have some 50's on the way.
I need to get an elk first, then I'll get ready for some hard water.  I bet Ol' Hippy Fish has a boner right about now

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #2 on: Oct 29, 2023, 03:56 PM »
I woke up to 6 inches of snow and more on the way. SW Montana is going to get cold this week. Normally ice is available the last week of November. This year may be a tad earlier. After shoveling the snow, I went into my fishing room and started getting organized. I will be tying some jigged up muddlers that seem to work well at Canyon Ferry. The ones I had got torn up from the early big bows. I also will be checking reels and rods for line condition, drags, and function. New strike indicators will be added. Preparation and planning is all a part of getting ready for another year of hard water fishing.

tags are cut,meat is in the freezer,bring on the ice!
Dont ask

Offline FishingCowboy

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #3 on: Nov 02, 2023, 10:26 AM »
Been getting ready since the hardwater left last May....... ;D Upgraded the Livescope to a 93SV head, installed the old 73SV head on the 4-wheeler so I can use it to get around to good marks from previous exploits, installed the otter slide releases (looks like I won't be taking of the gloves when I take down the flipover), and got a sweet deal on a 10-inch Ion Gen 3 auger..... Started watching weather reports 2 weeks ago....
Rounding them up for the corral.....

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Nov 14, 2023, 08:09 AM »
won't be doing any ice fishing around Helena for a while, way too warm here and the forecast is saying no to ice for the next week
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Nov 14, 2023, 10:29 AM »
Same thing for the great northwest. October, unfortunately, was just a tease  >:(  Good to see some of you fellas returning to the forum though!

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #6 on: Nov 14, 2023, 03:56 PM »
Saw a bit of ice here and there between Missoula and Three Forks...

Offline RuralMT

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #7 on: Nov 15, 2023, 02:54 PM »
Saw a bit of ice here and there between Missoula and Three Forks...

Was it thick enough to venture out on MFish?

Offline missoulafish

• Team IceShantyholic
  • TēM HîPē FÿSh
« Reply #8 on: Nov 15, 2023, 04:08 PM »
A couple looked like they had potential but the temps are in the 60's now over there :(

Offline skifisher

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Nov 15, 2023, 05:41 PM »
Cold front prediction for the end of the week. Low pressure off California coast headed east!
"Ice fishing...ah, the anticipation! 🎣”

Offline albo

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #10 on: Nov 16, 2023, 08:14 AM »
35 degrees when I drove past Jim Darcy school in the North Helena Valley this morning
if you're too busy to go fishing, you're too busy

Offline PerchPounderMT

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #11 on: Nov 18, 2023, 03:59 PM »
35 degrees when I drove past Jim Darcy school in the North Helena Valley this morning
skim of ice on the HS pond this am   :tipup:
Dont ask

Offline enderst

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Nov 24, 2023, 10:37 PM »
Thanksgiving used to mark opening weekend on Big Mountain. Now it seems the norm is to get that winter tease in October then warms up and no ice until after Christmas :(

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.