Author Topic: Auto Hookset  (Read 1425 times)

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
Auto Hookset
« on: Dec 30, 2022, 10:27 AM »
After the pole locker adventure I decided to try something different with an auto hookset.  This isn't anything fancy, but we will see if it works when the ice is back. 

I saw a few other threads where the trigger mechanism wasn't an eye and I played around with a few different options and this one seemed to be the easiest to fabricate and I didn't see much different in performance (admittedly it was in the kitchen).  Some of the pictures are blurry, but should be sufficient to show how I tried to put it together

* trigger - went with a twisted eye
 * several other versions have legs or have a wide base V.  I went with a smaller base for ease of transport and storage and if it is real windy I don't think this would work with the sensitivity of the trigger
 * my 'anchor line' is just some mono - figure it will be easy enough to swap out if I use a longer or shorter pole. 

Blue snow is better than yellow snow

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
Re: Auto Hookset
« Reply #1 on: Dec 30, 2022, 10:36 AM »
If you want to look at or try something different , I built these. Work great.

"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline eyeflyer

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Dec 30, 2022, 03:29 PM »
I had one of the first style of these to hit the market in our area years ago.  I added a slip bobber to mine (line slide under water) and left a few inches of slack before the trigger would release............... increased hook sets a lot.

Offline Iceassin

• Team IceShantyholic
  • The secret to fishing...fish where the fish are.
« Reply #3 on: Dec 30, 2022, 05:58 PM »
I had one of the first style of these to hit the market in our area years ago.  I added a slip bobber to mine (line slide under water) and left a few inches of slack before the trigger would release............... increased hook sets a lot.

Thanks for the slip bobber idea. I will be putting them on mine tomorrow.  ;)
"Si quaeris peninsulam amoenam circumspice."

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 12, 2023, 11:25 AM »
Trying something different so I can limit the crap I take out.  Not sure if there will be enough travel in the pole to reliably set the hook, but this was a pretty easy mod.

20# test between the trigger and a 'needle' to hold inside of the bucket.  a hole drilled near the top of the bucket to accept the butt of the pole and a small one to slide the needle into.  This way I don't have anything permanently attached to the outside of the bucket and it is easy enough to change the length of the line if I have a different length pole.  Hopefully will have a chance to give this a shot this weekend!

Offline NEW222

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #5 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:28 PM »
And there is this. I have one and use it summer and winter. Works absolutely great!

https://fishamatic.com/

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Jan 13, 2023, 08:32 PM »
Nice, I just broke down and bought a ht one after I found I gave my homemade ones to my son.

Offline BlueSnow

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Jan 16, 2023, 12:04 PM »
Well it worked!  Only false sets were when I had small perch pecking away at my bait.  Otherwise landed three fish this weekend on it.  sweedish pimple with some spikes for bait and a nice addition for slow days on the ice.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.