New York Ice Fishing sponsored by

Author Topic: Big pond  (Read 1519 times)

Offline Brad10272

• IceShanty Rookie
Big pond
« on: Jan 18, 2022, 09:48 AM »
Good morning all,
Was thinking about trying big or little pond next weekend. Driving up from ct was looking for ice report on either location? Thank you in advance!

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
Re: Big pond
« Reply #1 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:23 AM »
Which ponds?  If it’s sandy ponds there’s an up to date thread just below yours with a lot of good information..
 If it’s other “ponds” sorryI can’t help.. :-\
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Brad10272

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #2 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:35 AM »
Sorry I should have specified it’s in Andes it’s a state campground! Thank you!!

Offline troutslayer97

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • Alex Serdiouk
« Reply #3 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:41 AM »
Plenty of ice and plenty of people. I’m sure you ass by a lot of better lakes on your way there.

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #4 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:41 AM »
Why come from Connecticut to fish these two ponds? I’m familiar with both

Offline hardwaterhonkey

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #5 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:42 AM »
Plenty of ice and plenty of people. I’m sure you ass by a lot of better lakes on your way there.
Couldn’t agree more

Offline Raquettedacker

• IceShanty Mod Team
  • Team IceshantyInsanity
« Reply #6 on: Jan 18, 2022, 10:43 AM »
No problem.  Sure someone has some information.  Good luck. 

PS and I was born in Bridgeport and had an uncle who lived in ansonia .. ;)
Strangers stopping strangers just to shake there hand.
         The successful life were living has us feuding like the Hatfields and McCoys...
Pro Staff Member "Team Loser"

Offline Brad10272

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #7 on: Jan 18, 2022, 11:09 AM »
Ct ain’t all it’s cracked up to be lol we have property in north Sanford ny not real familiar with the lakes in the area except Arctic lake which we ice fish in hope of hitting the crappies. Thanks everyone just was looking for something different with the possibility of a trout through the ice!

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #8 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:32 PM »
Brad,

Artic Lake has rainbow trout in there as well.  They usually stock it every spring.

Offline Yotecatcher

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #9 on: Jan 18, 2022, 01:59 PM »
Ct ain’t all it’s cracked up to be lol we have property in north Sanford ny not real familiar with the lakes in the area except Arctic lake which we ice fish in hope of hitting the crappies. Thanks everyone just was looking for something different with the possibility of a trout through the ice!
. Arnold Lake in Otsego county NY has trout. Brown and Rainbow. Fathead minnows on tipups 10-15ft under the ice had produced for me. The last time I was by there last weekend the bubbler wasn't running there's only one public access next to Camp America   
I live back in the woods you see

Offline Brad10272

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #10 on: Jan 18, 2022, 06:56 PM »
Thank you everyone I really appreciate all the tips and info!!!!

Offline TopWaterAuger

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #11 on: Jan 23, 2022, 12:09 AM »
Good morning all,
Was thinking about trying big or little pond next weekend. Driving up from ct was looking for ice report on either location? Thank you in advance!

Hey Brad, looking to hit big pond tomorrow (today Sunday 1/23) did you head over yet? How’s the ice looking? Got mixed reviews from people in the area. -James

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #12 on: Jan 23, 2022, 05:42 AM »
Brad and Antelope...
I started a query yesterday looking for specific information on Artic Lake/Oquaga Creek State Park...and only had one response thus far.  I'm finding MORE information on Artic Lake on this thread because I (like everyone else) thought it pertained to Big (North Sandy) Pond.  But it wasn't.

Anywho...the question is to anyone who has fished or has knowledge of Artic Lake...Do you fish the 30 foot hole in front of the dam?  That would make sense to me.  But I know nothing of the structure below.  Drove by this weekend and there was no one there...and very very little evidence that there has been anyone out there at all...(???)

Rainbow are not my target...Ranger there says he knows a fella that launches a small canoe there early mornings in the spring and slaughters the perch.  But other than that Ranger knew nothing (or wasn't talking)... ;D

Anyone...?

Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Offline Brad10272

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #13 on: Jan 25, 2022, 08:11 AM »
Have ice fished Arctic many times. Have not found any structure and have had success at both ends deep and shallow! Place is loaded with bass the interesting thing is the crappie population has exploded over last couple years great size to them! Was there 2 weeks ago and there was 6” if good ice and the bite was great until about 1pm! 10 lmb half dozen perch and few pickerel!! Good luck hope that helps anyone who needs the info!!

Offline antelope76

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #14 on: Jan 25, 2022, 09:46 AM »
I haven't ice fished it in a few years but I also heard from some locals who fish it that they have been catching crappies that are good size.

Offline Arkangel

• Team IceShanty Regular
  • ArkAngel
« Reply #15 on: Jan 25, 2022, 10:24 AM »
...thank you, gentlemen...!  Good Intel.

Headed to North Country this weekend to fish MY Big Pond - Sandy Pond.

~Arkangel
Many men go fishing all of their lives without knowing it's not the fish they are after ~ Henry David Thoreau

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.