Author Topic: Humminbird Helix 9 - Shuttle?  (Read 1111 times)

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
Humminbird Helix 9 - Shuttle?
« on: Nov 16, 2021, 11:47 AM »
I picked up a Humminbird Helix 9 MEGA this spring, and would like to use it ice fishing this winter.  I'd like to use the mapping feature while driving the four-wheeler, and then bring it into a flip-over shack once I've found a spot I'd like to try for awhile.  I've got limited space on the front rack of my four-wheeler, as the ice auger takes up a decent portion of it.  Has anyone built a fairly compact shuttle for a Helix 9?  I've got it setup in my boat right now using a RAM ball mount - thinking maybe I can get away with putting another one on the front four-wheeler rack and just use a portable power source like a DeWalt battery adaptor.  When I find where I want to fish, I'll just take the Helix off the ball mount and tighten it down onto another ball on some sort of shuttle.

Does anyone else do something similar to this?  Definitely open to suggestions.

sunniewally

Re: Humminbird Helix 9 - Shuttle?
« Reply #1 on: Nov 22, 2021, 01:07 PM »
could you make this  work?   
&t=168s

Offline ice dawg

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShantyholic
  • Tawny-"Ice Pooch"
« Reply #2 on: Nov 22, 2021, 01:34 PM »
I did that with my Humminbird 597 and plugged it into the accessory power point.
It seems to go from zero to hero all some have to do is lie.

Offline lazyMlazyK

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #3 on: Nov 23, 2021, 11:50 AM »
I've seen the Genz box mods - not quite sure what I think of them yet.  Sure it would be a functional mod, but I think I'd like the option of putting it in a 5 gallon bucket at the end of the day too.  I think if I used a RAM mount on a Vexilar Pro II case, I'd be able to turn the Helix 9 180°/vertical, and it might fit in a bucket.  Might be going that route.

Offline kpd145

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • Shove 'em in
« Reply #4 on: Dec 07, 2021, 12:34 PM »
I have had my 73sv and now my 93sv Garmin onto my genz box from what is now my old, old flasher....

It works ok, the 9 inch screen is a bit large for it but the way I have it setup makes it ok to use and its not going to tip over from the heavier unit on top. I attached a 1.5" ram ball to the mounting base on the box, then used my medium ram arm paired to my finder plate that also has a 1.5" ram ball. I think I pad maybe 50 dollars for all the RAM mounting hardware I needed.

It fit my 73sv perfect.
"Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming, "Wow! What a RIDE!"--Hunter S. Thompson

Offline jpohlic

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #5 on: Dec 07, 2021, 01:02 PM »
I used a 6 pack sized cooler and bolted the sonar mounting bracket right to the lid. There is enough space in the cooler to fit a 12AH battery and store the transducer and cable. I cut a hole in the lid of the cooler to run the cables. The handle makes it easy to move around and in the summer I move the mounting bracket back to the boat. It would be real easy to strap this down to a quad.

The more I fish, the less I know about fishing...
Send me a PM if you'd like info about how I built my ice shack

Offline woody350ep

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #6 on: Dec 14, 2021, 12:12 AM »
Did you manage to find a 1521 transducer?  I just got my Helix 8 Mega DI last week to set up on my kayak next year but planned on using it for ice fishing as well since we've got a very long season up here in AK.  I can't find the transducer for it anywhere...I think this year I'll just rig up the standard transducer so it stays level and then try to find one before next ice season.

On the mount idea, I'm working something up for mine.  If it plays out, I'll be sure to come back and share it.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.