Author Topic: Ice jigging Plastics?  (Read 2516 times)

Offline jbird68

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Ice jigging Plastics?
« on: Aug 13, 2021, 02:09 PM »
What do you guys use for ice jigging plastics?

I've been using the Gulp Alive 1" minnows with really good luck.

But I saw a guy who made tiny tadpole looking plastics that looked intriguing. I thing they were only 3/4" long...maybe even less. Looking to use them on tungsten jigs for fast drop speed.

I have my eyes on some different plastics on ebay.
jbird68

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
Re: Ice jigging Plastics?
« Reply #1 on: Aug 13, 2021, 02:19 PM »
I inject my own.  I took up injecting soft plastics last year.  Maki plastics seem to be pretty popular ice fishing plastics.
I'm just here for the ice fishing groupies..

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Aug 13, 2021, 03:04 PM »
JBIRD68 send me a message with a mailing address and I’ll drop some plastics free of charge in the mail for ya to try this upcoming season. 

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Aug 13, 2021, 09:19 PM »
I used a crappie fluke last year and open water this year with great success.

Offline meandcuznalfy

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Aug 13, 2021, 09:39 PM »
JBIRD68 send me a message with a mailing address and I’ll drop some plastics free of charge in the mail for ya to try this upcoming season.

X2

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #5 on: Aug 14, 2021, 04:34 AM »
Ive been using little atom micro nuggies the last few years and i only went thru 10 spikes all season for panfish.big gills and specks tear the micro nuggies up.black,motor oil or tadpole color.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #6 on: Aug 14, 2021, 09:44 PM »

Get the small snack bag ziploc to put them in. Then a stamp/letter gets them shipped cheap.

Offline slipperybob

• Team IceShantyholic
  • LX5 or die...maybe extra battery.
« Reply #7 on: Aug 15, 2021, 07:59 PM »
I have used Little Atom Plastics for a long time.  Little Nuggies, Skimpies, etc.,... Then there's Northland's Bro's Bloodworms that have worked very well for me too.  Along with the Mimic minnow fry plastics.  I will admit that I am still using the same piece of plastic for years....eh, yeah the same piece for several seasons.
For more information read my MN nice journal

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Aug 15, 2021, 09:05 PM »

Any plastics work…these are some popular molds I use.

Offline river_scum

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • hook n cook
« Reply #9 on: Aug 16, 2021, 06:28 AM »
plastics with wings are some timers the ticket.  they swim out to side for those days they want it horizontal.  puddle jumpers are a go to of mine.  for crappie or other predators like walleye pike and bass, i like bobby garlands baby shads.  especially at night with the moon glow ones! 1/16 head or less.  perch cant resist plastics pounded on bottom them worked above.
real fishermen don't ask "where you catch those"

OANN the real story

- member here since -2003- IN.

Offline Mike84

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #10 on: Aug 16, 2021, 09:36 AM »
Would any of the ice plastic injectors in here be up for a plastic swap?  Depending on the number of people involved I can coordinate.  Basically like a secret santa type swap.  That or since honestly it takes such little plastic you could make a mixed bag for each participant as it seems like there are only a few of us injecting plastic in the group.  Maybe a cool way to get some different plastics.  Although it's likely we all probably have the same molds.  Just a thought.

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #11 on: Aug 16, 2021, 12:32 PM »
Would any of the ice plastic injectors in here be up for a plastic swap?  Depending on the number of people involved I can coordinate.  Basically like a secret santa type swap.  That or since honestly it takes such little plastic you could make a mixed bag for each participant as it seems like there are only a few of us injecting plastic in the group.  Maybe a cool way to get some different plastics.  Although it's likely we all probably have the same molds.  Just a thought.

I'd be willing to do it. Usually when it gets close to first ice I shoot a bunch of plastic and multiple colors. Then do a give away to ice shanty members. Basicly put a good amount of mixed plastics into a small kids ziploc snack bag then put it in an envelope and mail it to them. Then it cost like $0.50 to ship.

I think this fall/winter I might pick up that ice fly from fat guys fishing. While I have plenty of plastics......it just seems like the panfish in the local pond get use to a style and quit biting it.....then when you switch they hammer on it for a time.

Offline JBDekes

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #12 on: Aug 16, 2021, 10:33 PM »
IA,

Can you tell me where you got these 2 molds, circled in red?

Thanks

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #13 on: Aug 17, 2021, 01:28 PM »
Top one I believe was a Jacob’s mold
Bottom one was from do it molds

Offline rdhammah

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Nov 01, 2021, 05:31 PM »
crappie magnet. I made a six cavity Plaster of Paris mold and pour my own. I also shoot my own waxtails.

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.