Author Topic: Maumee run  (Read 5690 times)

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Maumee run
« on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:22 PM »
Hope to maybe meet up with a few of ya this year. Bout a month it will start to get serious.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
  • If it were easy just anyone would do it !
Re: Maumee run
« Reply #1 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:27 PM »
Been over there the last couple of years.  Got my map from the tackle shop on my desk, my stuff is ready to go.

Offline Reel_Ice_hole

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #2 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:29 PM »
Please keep me in the loop... have heard about it for years... and can never get it timed out right... always either a week early or too late

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #3 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:31 PM »
Sounds like a good plan.  It's in my blood I can't help but go.  I think I only made it once last year but got a couple.  Few years back I had over 100 lbs.  That's a lot of jacks!  I'm glad you don't see those big stringers of sows being drug around there like you did in the 80's.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #4 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:37 PM »
A couple from last year

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:43 PM »
Haven't been over there in years. Is it still combat fishing?  ;D
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #6 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:47 PM »
I need to try this year. I get sucked into steelhead and never make it. I will bring some big stinky cigars Jim and it should keep people at least 6 feet away
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Spooled85

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #7 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:49 PM »
Haven't been over there in years. Is it still combat fishing?  ;D

Absolutely !!

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #8 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:53 PM »
I try to never go on the weekend.  Your still going to have guys next to you.  Not too much different than ice fishing though, well most of the time.  Haven't seen any fights in a while.  Always someone that doesn't understand the flow of the casting or thinks he can fish straight downstream in front of 20 guys.  Had a lady try to fish the slack water behind me once, that didn't turn out well!

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #9 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:56 PM »
Absolutely !!

Never forget a trip up to Tippy Dam one year for combat fishing. On the opposite side of the river people were fishing so close they could have held hands. Anyway this guy gets a salmon on a light rod and is playing it and playing it and playing it. Guys are patiently waiting with their lines realed in, but one really big guy pulls out a pocket knife and says, "I'm tired of this sheet" and cuts his line.  ;D I heard somebody got stabbed up there one year.
I live in the midwest now but have fond memories of fishing in New England as a kid.

Offline taxi1

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #10 on: Feb 15, 2018, 06:57 PM »
I try to never go on the weekend.  Your still going to have guys next to you.  Not too much different than ice fishing though, well most of the time.  Haven't seen any fights in a while.  Always someone that doesn't understand the flow of the casting or thinks he can fish straight downstream in front of 20 guys.  Had a lady try to fish the slack water behind me once, that didn't turn out well!

I've had guys tell me the way to go is a boat.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #11 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:06 PM »
I've had guys tell me that too.  Have friends who've done it.  I've been there when guys have drown doing it.  Some of that boat fishing is crazier than the wading!

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #12 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:53 PM »
My brother and I used to go a bunch back in the late 70's early 80's and it was some of the best walleye fishing I have ever seen! But the CO's got to be such crooks (I know hard to believe) that we quit going over. Really sad, kangaroo court up town, they make a bundle in fines. Taxi1 was the recipient of a number of those fish(skins) when he was first starting his business. Chad I'd stick with the Steelhead less hassle usually.  Hex

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #13 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:53 PM »
I like to go and usually make a couple of trips a year.  Would love to meet up with some of you guys over there sometime.
 A boat in the river just looks like a hassle.  Especially when theres lots of boats out there.

Offline tater140

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #14 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:55 PM »
My guess is they have tamed down some of the kangaroo court antics.  I havent heard too many bad stories about that lately.  Personally i have never seen anyone get a ticket.

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #15 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:56 PM »
I don't have a boat, so I have to combat fish.  But through the week if you avoid Buttonwood its not all that crowded.  I enjoy getting out and seeing different stuff.  All in all its a beautiful river.

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #16 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:58 PM »
Another big one!

Offline hounds

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #17 on: Feb 15, 2018, 07:58 PM »
I don't have a boat, so I have to combat fish.  But through the week if you avoid Buttonwood its not all that crowded.  I enjoy getting out and seeing different stuff.  All in all its a beautiful river.  Lots of snags and leftover Jigheads though.

Offline hookitNcookit

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #18 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:03 PM »
I was going to try the oakdale or norway dam soon as ice out for the first time, i did not know it was like  maumee that sucks. Ive never done elbow to elbow doesnt sound like my cup of coffee! Then he says boat is the way to go so i say to myself ok ill bring my boat then next post says boat fishing can be crazier than wading! Lol guess im not bringing the boat. I will scout it out from shore first maybe early and on a monday might not be so bad. Does anybody know anything about the dams on the kankakee momence specifically, would be closest or are you gents from eastern indiana? I know im a noob to the site but everybody gotta start somewhere! Thanks guys
"It aint how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward."

Offline RoeBoat

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #19 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:07 PM »
Can't help you, only familiar with the Maumee.  Boat may be fine as long as you have a dependable one and know what you're doing with it on a river.  It's nothing like fishing on a lake, things can go bad quick.

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #20 on: Feb 15, 2018, 08:13 PM »
Hey Roeboat I think you are targeting the wrong species there! LOL Hex

Offline crappieslayer37

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #21 on: Feb 16, 2018, 05:05 AM »
I've had guys tell me that too.  Have friends who've done it.  I've been there when guys have drown doing it.  Some of that boat fishing is crazier than the wading!
you are right about the boat being dangerous. I was fishing white street last year and a guy had to dump his motor in the river because his anchor got wrapped up. I know all the spots to fish at different water levels. I had a string of 8 limits in a row until we got really high water last year and the string got broke. Still ended with 59 so that was my best year yet. This year is forecasted to be a banner year with the 2014 year class now over the 15 inch minimum. Let me know if anyone might want to meet up.

Offline 10point

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #22 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:29 AM »
I went a couple of years ago for the first time and took my boat with a 10 horse motor. We launched at Schroeders camp ground. Don't have to go far to fish there. The boats just get in a line and fish. I was kind of scared how everyone was saying it's dangerous but I think a lot of that depends on water lever and we went when it was right around normal I believe.  We had no problem. I couldn't believe how small a few of the boats I saw were. We only caught a few fish but others around us were catching more. So many break offs and having to tie back up. I know there are big fish there but I haven't had a strong desire to go back. Went to Barkely last spring crappie fishing and had a much better time.

Offline Eye_Crosser86

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #23 on: Feb 16, 2018, 06:45 AM »
I havent been in a couple years but boat during the week is the best time, you want a dependable boat for sure but maybe as important is knowing how to anchor, when rivers up and roaringyou can sink a boat in seconds if you just chuck anchors out

Offline ftwwalleye

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #24 on: Feb 16, 2018, 07:34 AM »
I havent been in a couple years but boat during the week is the best time, you want a dependable boat for sure but maybe as important is knowing how to anchor, when rivers up and roaringyou can sink a boat in seconds if you just chuck anchors out
For sure. I have seen small boats anchored below damn on st joe for steelhead. It gets rip roaring. No way I would try with my small boat.
Beer is proof that god loves us-ben franklin

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #25 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:06 AM »
Years ago we saw a number of boats get out of control on that river especially when she gets high water levels! It's quite a spectacle but quite dangerous also! Hex

Offline spencerville

• Team IceShanty Regular
« Reply #26 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:10 AM »
Ive been going for years. Made 8 trips last year. I haven't seen the fighting in along time but I also go during the week and I don't go into the big crowd. It like any fishing, you don't have to be in the middle of the mess to catch fish. I have actually watched an area, then went in and fished just up or down stream from the group and start catching faster than the "hot spot" does. Usually someone will start to move in but by the time the crowd moves in I either have a limit or am ready to regroup and try another spot. I have also fished in a boat around ft miegs (?). Its not that bad, a little common sense goes a long way. I'll be back at it couple days a week during the run this year same as past... as for ICE.... I'm done. Today will be clean up and stow day.

Offline icehole219

• IceShanty Rookie
« Reply #27 on: Feb 16, 2018, 08:32 AM »
You guys can have my spot on the river. I’ll stick with sharing the spring river bank with Black bear and deer in Da UP eh

Offline rivereddy

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #28 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:02 AM »
It's not for everyone that's for sure, but it's also a unique experience.  I toyed with taking my boat over a few years ago but decided not to.  The Maumee is a big river that is always in a hurry. It eats lower units for  breakfast.  The make up of the bottom, rock, cobble and boulders make anchoring a challenge. The current is for real with little slack water. One rogue wave and life could get real interesting. 

I usually fish from the bank and in all the years I've gone I only had one questionable experience.  I was chatting with the guy parked next to me at Buttonwood while putting on my waders.  He remarked about my Indiana license plate.  As fate would have it I was fishing a couple of guys down from him and as luck would have it, I had picked a spot with a good seam and almost immediately caught 2 keepers back to back.  "D**N
Hoosiers" was all that he said.  You will see enforcement there in numbers and they monitor  both boat and bank activity.  One year I couldn't shake
the feeling that I was being watched.  I turned around and their were two masterfully hidden COs in ghillie suits watching boats with a spotting scope not 15 feet behind me.

On the other hand...  Last year at Jerome rapids, in my rush to fish, I left the back of Jeep wide open right by the side of the main road.  I came back
3 hours later and nothing had been touched.  I'm not so sure parking next to my home river would have had similar results

For those that don't know, the Maumee Tackle website is superb as is their store and Jann's Netcraft is just a few blocks away.

fish on, 

rivereddy

Offline Hexagenia51

• Team IceShanty Addict
« Reply #29 on: Feb 16, 2018, 09:24 AM »
Back in the day we would get a group of guys in line and not let anyone in between. Then we could drift jigs all day long with few tangles but let one guy in that doesn't time his casts and it could get ugly quick! Does anyone know if the old black guy with the van, by the island still sells jigs and tails? I think his name was Charlie, he was a great guy with the best jigs and tails and prices too! Hex

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.