The Iceshanty Ice Auger Board is sponsored by
Nils Master Authorized Sharpening Service

Author Topic: Mora 7" and 8" no longer interchangeable.  (Read 1945 times)

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
Mora 7" and 8" no longer interchangeable.
« on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:50 AM »
After reading some posts over the years about the blades being interchangeable between the two I picked up a pair of 7" for my new 8".  Less than stellar results prompted an email the manufacturer to see what was up. 

Thanks for the email. Yes, older generations of the mora “blue” hand augers MD-7 and MD-8 use the same auger part, just different sized blades to make either a 7 or 8 inch diameter. The flighting, blade carriage and all other specs are the same.
But the newer mora “blue” hand augers are different and are not interchangeable between 7 or 8 inch blades as of 2014 production season.
We hope this helps
StrikeMaster
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
Re: Mora 7" and 8" no longer interchangeable.
« Reply #1 on: Feb 23, 2018, 11:56 AM »
glad I read this I was just about to get a set of 7" blades for my 8" newer mora.

Offline Old Goat

• Iceshanty Militia
  • Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #2 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:32 PM »
glad I read this I was just about to get a set of 7" blades for my 8" newer mora.

Doc I got new 8 blades

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #3 on: Feb 23, 2018, 12:49 PM »
Doc I got new 8 blades
thanks for looking out O.G. but i was just wanting to turn one of my 8" moras into a 7" to cut a tad easier.

Offline Kevin23

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #4 on: Feb 23, 2018, 02:36 PM »
So did they give any way of identifying the 2014 from the rest? I have an 8" I bought at a garage sale for $3 that was never used but no box. Definitely not an "old" one, but I'm not sure if its 2014 or earlier. Was planning on getting 7" blades for it for shallow water pike fishing.
EYECONICFISHING

Offline RapShack

• Team IceShanty Maniac
« Reply #5 on: Feb 23, 2018, 03:55 PM »
They did not.  If it's got the screw in handle it's definitely old.  I've got a line on a couple old 7" models, I'm hoping to get one today or tomorrow.  When that happens I can do measurements and take pictures of the blade carriage area and flighting and maybe come up with something.  Or I can just pull the blades off the new 8" and measure the carriage and maybe you could work it out that way. I think you might be able to make the new 8" work OK with 7" blades but you'd have to take a grinder to the blade carriage.  With how much blade already sticks out on the 8" I'd be hesitant to do that and then put 8" blades back on it.  And even then the flighting might still bind. 
I'm a man, but I can change, If I have to, I guess.

Offline DR.SPECKLER

• Team IceShantyholic
  • find your own fish..
« Reply #6 on: Feb 23, 2018, 05:38 PM »
the older 8" moras also just have a red handle and knob,newer models have a black knob with red in the center and a black handle.

Offline lefty2053

• Team IceShantyholic
« Reply #7 on: Feb 23, 2018, 06:14 PM »
This is good to know. I was thinking of getting one of the 6" if I can find one.
<===Lefty===

Offline Agronomist_at_IA

• Team IceShantyholic
  • Team Iowa!
« Reply #8 on: Jul 01, 2018, 10:23 AM »
So did they give any way of identifying the 2014 from the rest? I have an 8" I bought at a garage sale for $3 that was never used but no box. Definitely not an "old" one, but I'm not sure if its 2014 or earlier. Was planning on getting 7" blades for it for shallow water pike fishing.

The blades haven't changed....it's the flighting on the new ones actually being larger then 7in. Just measure how wide your flighting is. Then you will know if you can do 7in blades or 8in blades. My gues would be that a new 7in auger could be made into an 8in......

Iceshanty | MyFishFinder | MyHuntingForum
Contact | Disclaimer | Privacypolicy | Sponsor
© 1996- Iceshanty.com
All Rights Reserved.